6WC 6 Week Challenge - 2023

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - 2023

Postby Mista » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:22 pm

jeffers wrote:So does the next one start at the beginning of May? I haven't done one for a while, but I'd like to use it in the run up to my exam.

Yes - I've heard nothing to the contrary
2 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:19 pm

The challenge has long been February 1st, May 1st, August 1st and November 1st.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:38 pm

So, questions for May. Is the bot working after all?
And if it is not (or I can't figure out how to use it), is there an alternative way to report in?
If it works, is there an up-to-date guide on how to use it for the challenge?
Thanks!
2 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:49 pm

Raconteur wrote:So, questions for May. Is the bot working after all?
And if it is not (or I can't figure out how to use it), is there an alternative way to report in?
If it works, is there an up-to-date guide on how to use it for the challenge?
Thanks!

It's working now - but it looks like you figured that out already! I think it's normal that you can't register until a week or so before it starts.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:19 pm

Signing up in May! As I no longer qualify in my real target languages, I will sign up with something I don't intend to learn at all and compete only in the total learning part. (We've discussed that when the AI6WC was being created). I hope to get a solid total score, that will be spread between my two target languages, German and Italian. Not gonna put in French, it is no longer a target language, and logging all my work hours would be unfair to the rest of the participants :-D :-D :-D
2 x

diaconia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1 in 2004), Russian (beginner), Ancient Greek (beginner), French (needs refreshing)

Postby diaconia » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:01 pm

It’s so great that the forum has different challenges to nudge learners at every level! I'm definitely a beginner. Thirty minutes a day is totally doable and won’t interfere with my studies/work. I'm starting tomorrow!

What language: Russian
current vocabulary level: < 200 basic words
What materials/methods: Audiobooks L+R

Goals:
1. be able to pick out words in songs I listen to already and understand A1<A2 texts
2. be able to read A1<A2 without having to look up every other word
3. Russian grammar gets easier because of #2

My new Twitter is diaconias6WC. I registered with the bot. Is that it? Do I need to do anything else (except start)?
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:15 pm

diaconia wrote:My new Twitter is diaconias6WC. I registered with the bot. Is that it? Do I need to do anything else (except start)?

Starting is good. Continuing is better. Welcome to the 6WC!
2 x

diaconia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1 in 2004), Russian (beginner), Ancient Greek (beginner), French (needs refreshing)

Postby diaconia » Mon May 01, 2023 11:44 am

I did my thirty minutes and logged it with the bot, but I wanted to add my #targetscore of 21 hours. The bot kinda got confused and I had to undo it. Do I understand correctly that have to input my targetscore in separate tweet?

Edit: I have my target in the signature so that's probably good enough
1 x

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Mon May 01, 2023 1:42 pm

diaconia wrote:It’s so great that the forum has different challenges to nudge learners at every level!
It definitely is! I've been actually telling myself that I will join the next 6WC since the very first one. I remember when the concept was first announced (or rather, spontaneously worked out) over on the old forum, HTLAL.

Are you telling me it has been over a DECADE since, and I still did not do it? Where did the time go? :shock:

Anyway, I'm joining today with Turkish – a language I have been learning for a month so far (since April 1st). Not aspiring for a podium finish, happy just to participate (finally!).

Champion.png

FYI, I will be updating the bot on a weekly basis. I can't stand Twitter, and want to stay away from it as much as possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

diaconia
Yellow Belt

Postby diaconia » Mon May 01, 2023 2:55 pm

That last box made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Raconteur wrote:FYI, I will be updating the bot on a weekly basis. I can't stand Twitter, and want to stay away from it as much as possible.

Oh I know that feeling. I remembered my dislike this morning when I couldn't log into new account (I quit years ago). But I emptied my cache and all is well. So I don't lost time, I've made a twitter handle specifically for this challenge, and I only follow "the bot"!

I just think this is a great concept. I'm almost sad to think of one day "outgrowing" the 6WC (no intermediates). But I guess there's always a new beginning!
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”