The Language Island Creation Challenge 2023 - Register Now! Starts Feb 12!

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
CDR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (B2?), Japanese (A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18051

The Language Island Creation Challenge 2023 - Register Now! Starts Feb 12!

Postby CDR » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:45 am

Registration is now open!

The challenge: we all compete to integrate as many new language islands as we can into a TL in one month. From first draft to corrected by a native speaker to memorized/practised. The first Language Island Creation Challenge starts February 12, 2023 and ends March 12, 2023.

You can sign up with multiple languages, however their island counts will be separate on the leader board. Post your registration below using the following template

Languages: List your target languages you will write islands for!
Current Level: Give us an estimate of what level your languages are at!
Goal for the Challenge: Let us know what you are hoping to accomplish with this challenge!
Have you found a native speaker to correct your Islands?: Yes/No/I cannot find a native speaker for Toki Pona, my friend Sara will have to do
Are you interested in sharing the full transcript and English translation of some of your Islands?: Yes/No/I will decide later

Learn more about language islands here:
https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wiki/Language_Islands

Submitting Progress

There is a Google Form for this challenge. You will submit your progress using the Google Form. Once you register, I will send you a PM with a link to the Google Form. This is intended to prevent spam or other issues.

On the Google Form, you fill in your forum username, language, and how many additional islands to add to your total, and the list of new island topics (no email address required). I will update the totals on the table on the challenge website:

https://languageislandchallenge.neocities.org/

On the form, it asks you to submit a list of new island topics. This is the only requirement for "proof". Please list them in English, for example:

• Introduction
  • About your family
  • How you met your partner or best friend
  • About your love of skipping rocks
  • What you would say to Stephen Krashen if you met him on the street
  • Your hot takes on Esperanto

You only need to submit of list of new topics, you do not need to submit all topics each time.

If you choose to enter for more than one language, you will need to submit a form for each update for each language.

Ideally, these will be shown on the website, but we'll see what I can manage to do, lol. This is just so other people can look at your topics and steal them.

Questions and Concerns

Do I need a native speaker to correct my islands for it to count in the challenge?

Barring some exceptions, the answer is yes, you do need correction from a native speaker. If you do not know a native speaker, now is the time to get on language exchange sites, or find a tutor you can pay to correct your work. You will probably need a few natives speakers, so you can distribute the proofreading load between them. :lol:

A learner who is more advanced than you is acceptable, but not ideal. If you are learning a language with few or no native speakers, like Esperanto or Latin, it's okay for it to be an advanced learner or who ever you can manage to locate. If even that is infeasible, just note so when you register, it's okay.

What does it mean for the island to be memorized/practised?
You know when you memorized it, just be honest.

If you don't like that, then you can try the following:
If you can say or type, from memory, 3 times, a close approximation of the island. Preferably, to three different people, or groups of people, with some time delay in-between each attempt, you can consider it memorized.

Do I need to share the full transcript of each language island?
It's up to you, it is not a requirement.

If you are willing to share, I would be interested in collecting everyone's islands + English translations and putting them into a PDF or website where they would be freely available for others to use. Since all islands are supposed to be corrected by native speakers, hopefully it would be a document of decent quality and some use to future learners!

Can I Redo an Old Island?
Yes, those count, as long as the re-write is significant.

For example, maybe you created your introduction in Chinese 2 years ago, and now you want to update it because you moved to a new city, you got new hobbies, and now you can use more complicated grammar structures. That's great and totally counts for the challenge!
Last edited by CDR on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
6 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Re: The Language Island Creation Challenge 2023

Postby sfuqua » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:10 pm

This could be a wonderful resource for other learners too.
When I was learning Samoan, long ago, I memorized a bunch of religious things that the Mormon church had prepared for their missionaries. :D

I never had the occasion to ask people if they had heard, "the good news about Joseph Smith," but I had it ready in case I ran out of things I could talk about. 8-)

The Mormons were very generous about sharing their materials back in the old days, and their training materials were much better than what Peace Corps had.
4 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

CDR
Orange Belt

Re: The Language Island Creation Challenge 2023

Postby CDR » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:08 pm

My wife has been sick, we seem to be through the worst of it, but regardless, I am going to delay the start of the challenge. I will push the challenge forward to give me some more time.

So, the challenge will take place from February 12th to March 12th. I will post a registration thread in a few days to see if anyone will sign up :lol:

sfuqua wrote:This could be a wonderful resource for other learners too.

That is the intention! :)
2 x

CDR
Orange Belt

Re: The Language Island Creation Challenge 2023 - Register Now! Starts Feb 12!

Postby CDR » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:33 am

I will register for my own challenge :lol:

Languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese

Current Level: Brazilian Portuguese - B1ish, Japanese - A2ish

Goal for the Challenge: I want to update some of my old islands in Portuguese, as they are very out of date, and I want to create some islands in Japanese so I can actually start chatting with people in the language.

Have you found a native speaker to correct your Islands?: Yes for both!

Are you interested in sharing the full transcript and English translation of some of your Islands?: Yes!
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”