AI6WC-a new challenge experiment

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: AI6WC-a new challenge experiment

Postby Cavesa » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:32 pm

rdearman wrote:The code for the super challenge bot is on GitHub you could adapt it. :)

You seriously overestimate me.

CarlyD wrote:I'm hovering in the "passing A2 tests but missing too many on B1" level right now. Can I sneak in as identifying as B1? I'm so determined to make it this time.

Do you self-assess / identify as B1(ish)? :-) Nobody will test you or throw you out, it's up to you.

In principle, I have nothing against A2 joining, but as it has been stated clearly, the real 6WC is not for B1 or better. But I have nothing against B1-, or there are many people with B1 or better passive skills and A2ish active skills, who do not feel they belong to the real 6wc.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:42 pm

badger wrote:I'll give it a go for French. does it start after the current 6WC, so 13th Dec ?

14th December. I have personal reasons to hate the 13th :-D I hope you won't mind.
Up to this moment, it looks like we'll be nine (I am counting CarlyD). That's more or less what I've expected. Anyone else is welcome too!
I'll make a challenge thread a few days before the start, with rules (a repetition of those already mentioned), and a prepared post for score updates.
5 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:27 am

Cavesa wrote:
badger wrote:I'll give it a go for French. does it start after the current 6WC, so 13th Dec ?

14th December. I have personal reasons to hate the 13th :-D I hope you won't mind.

your ball, your rules. :lol:
1 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:38 pm

I'm gonna give it a go with French as well.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:45 am

I followed the discussion re: learners beyond B1 wanting to join the 6WC, curious to see if anything would develop...

...I often wanted to participate in the original 6WC with French, but conceded that my level was too high. Now that I can, my focus is elsewhere, but I'll defintely look to join another time and look forward to it! ;) So, I think this fills an existing gap perfectly while not treading on the toes of the original 6WC either. Great idea, Cavesa! Good luck peoples!

Yours sincerely,
PM

Edit:
Cavesa wrote:Do you self-assess / identify as B1(ish)? :-) Nobody will test you or throw you out, it's up to you.

In principle, I have nothing against A2 joining, but as it has been stated clearly, the real 6WC is not for B1 or better. But I have nothing against B1-, or there are many people with B1 or better passive skills and A2ish active skills, who do not feel they belong to the real 6wc.

I know you're not saying let anyone in, but I'll just state what's on my mind so I can play the role of being obvious for once:

So as to not 'steal' ppl away from the original 6WC, I suggest only allowing people to join the AI6WC who have a level too high to enter the original 6WC, otherwise you risk (unintentionally) competing for space which could render the original competition very weak or worse, an eventual non-event. I know, stating obvious things again (I'm not really sure why I'm even typing this).

Again I don't think we're in disagreement here. I just wanted to air my thoughts. I'm not suggesting levels be policed either. I think your relaxed approach (self assess etc) makes sense.
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:57 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Do you self-assess / identify as B1(ish)? :-) Nobody will test you or throw you out, it's up to you.

I know you're not saying let anyone in, but I'll just state what's on my mind so I can play the role of being obvious for once:

So as to not 'steal' ppl away from the original 6WC, I suggest only allowing people to join the AI6WC who have a level too high to enter the original 6WC, otherwise you risk (unintentionally) competing for space which could render the original competition very weak or worse, an eventual non-event. I know, stating obvious things again (I'm not really sure why I'm even typing this).

Again I don't think we're in disagreement here. I just wanted to air my thoughts. I'm not suggesting levels be policed either. I think your relaxed approach (self assess etc) makes sense.

Exactly. I don't want to compete against the original and wonderful 6WC, I want this to be for everyone, who feels they don't fit into the defined rules anymore. Or anyone that others don't feel fits in there.

So, B1 or better.
But from what I've read in the discussion thread, also people with some skills well above B1.
Or even people relearning a previously known language, as it is "easier".

I've entered the last one with Italian. My active skills were A2ish, I've been working mainly with resources A2 and B1, yet I still felt criticised in the discussion thread (even though nobody was openly aiming me with their posts). Because my passive Italian was definitely C1 at the beginning, I was not a true beginner/low intermediate.

What surprised me in the discussion was, that some people don't really see the difference between intensive and extensive skills as a threat to the fairness of the friendly competition, but purely the level. It surprised me, I personally don't agree, but I respect that, they are perfectly in line with the original rules!

And I also didn't agree (as I stated), that the advanced levels are well covered by the other challenges, as I had tried that myself. B1 is in my opinion a bit too early to not do textbookish stuff anymore at all (but one needs some extra motivation for that sometimes), and I failed terribly, when trying to sign up for like four or five challenges, to cover input, reading, writing, and so on.

So, AI6WC is a space exactly for situations no longer welcome in the original 6WC, a way to have the fun and benefits without spoiling it for anyone else!

To give very clear examples:
-my current Italian would have been more fitted for AI6WC, with skills spread from A2 to C1
-my German will definitely fall into AI6WC, as I still need a lot of textbookish and similar work on it at B2, trying to get to C1
-my Hebrew, when I finally get to start it, is definitely for the original 6WC
-Polish or another Slavic language, when I finally start, will be for the 6WC, no matter the fact it is a related language
-my Spanish will definitely fall into AI6WC next year, because I still have C1/C2 passive skills, active used to be B2, but are now barely A1
4 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:50 am

Cavesa wrote:Exactly. I don't want to compete against the original and wonderful 6WC

So, B1 or better.

I don't mind either way, just not sure if I understood you correctly:
6WC is for A0 up to and including B1.
AI6WC is for B1 and beyond, thus overlapping with 6WC?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:27 pm

smallwhite wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Exactly. I don't want to compete against the original and wonderful 6WC

So, B1 or better.

I don't mind either way, just not sure if I understood you correctly:
6WC is for A0 up to and including B1.
AI6WC is for B1 and beyond, thus overlapping with 6WC?

You raise a good point. Rather B1+ (a weird distinction, which however even some publishers of textbooks make). B1 tends to be a rather large learning phase, and one people are very unsure about in self assessment (just an anecdotic observation of various threads over the years). And the main "overlap" is not even this, but people that have a higher level in some skills than others.

Yeah, it's not perfect. But nothing is, and I don't think any hard line would serve us well. I'd say every learner knows/feels the best whether they still belong in the 6WC or not.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:57 pm

Cavesa wrote:I'll make a challenge thread a few days before the start, with rules (a repetition of those already mentioned), and a prepared post for score updates.

Have you done this? Whether you have and I just missed it, or you haven't done it yet, I hope you can post a link to it here.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:59 pm

Mista wrote:
Cavesa wrote:I'll make a challenge thread a few days before the start, with rules (a repetition of those already mentioned), and a prepared post for score updates.

Have you done this? Whether you have and I just missed it, or you haven't done it yet, I hope you can post a link to it here.

just now created the thread!
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”