Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Spanish (B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Re: Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi, I might be coming in a little late, but I'd love to join the Team East Asian Languages please! :D

My log is here and I'm studying two East Asian languages (Mandarin for five, nearly six years now and Japanese for the last ten days) as well as German and Spanish.

Thank you! :)
1 x
pronouns: she/her

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:53 am

LunaMoonsilver wrote:Hi, I might be coming in a little late, but I'd love to join the Team East Asian Languages please! :D

My log is here and I'm studying two East Asian languages (Mandarin for five, nearly six years now and Japanese for the last ten days) as well as German and Spanish.

Welcome! :D Hope you get in to your master's programme. Have you self studied all those languages or you take classes? :o
0 x
Gone

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:41 am

Rotasu wrote:Welcome! :D Hope you get in to your master's programme. Have you self studied all those languages or you take classes? :o

Thanks so much! It would help if I finished the applications I think ;) but a little more tweaking to my personal statement and hopefully I'll know in the next few weeks. Nah, I've studied German and Mandarin through school/university, so a very standard kind of route - though I graduated about 18 months ago so I've been doing the upkeep alone since then. I studied Spanish a bit at school too but I've been dabbling with it the last few years on my own (and generally noticed more progress, but then I've been watching a lot more TV than I did as a teenager...). I'm not too great at keeping the motivation going at the plateauing level of self-study, but I'm hoping I'll manage it with Japanese! :D
0 x

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:32 pm

LunaMoonsilver wrote:Hi, I might be coming in a little late, but I'd love to join the Team East Asian Languages please! :D

欢迎,认识你很高兴!

Okay so let's pretend I didn't just use one of the first sentences of every textbook because I don't have a more creative way of saying it :lol:

So I just noticed you're obviously living in Wien (as am I), what brings you to Vienna and where are you originally from? Also, this really isn't a question for the team thread, but since I'm writing to you anyway, I saw that you are planing on doing a C2 test for German, do you know which test you're planning to take? I did the ÖSD B2 and I'm thinking later on this year I'd want to attempt a C2 (with a see-if-I-can-scrape-through attitude) since I found the B2 one really quite easy and I'm studying for the next semester at UniWien and still living with a host family... but I've noticed that ÖSD only seems to offer a Wirtschaftsprache C2 exam and there don't seem to be any other C2 exams in Austria?
0 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:47 pm

amyhere wrote:
欢迎,认识你很高兴!

Okay so let's pretend I didn't just use one of the first sentences of every textbook because I don't have a more creative way of saying it :lol:

So I just noticed you're obviously living in Wien (as am I), what brings you to Vienna and where are you originally from? Also, this really isn't a question for the team thread, but since I'm writing to you anyway, I saw that you are planing on doing a C2 test for German, do you know which test you're planning to take? I did the ÖSD B2 and I'm thinking later on this year I'd want to attempt a C2 (with a see-if-I-can-scrape-through attitude) since I found the B2 one really quite easy and I'm studying for the next semester at UniWien and still living with a host family... but I've noticed that ÖSD only seems to offer a Wirtschaftsprache C2 exam and there don't seem to be any other C2 exams in Austria?

Haha 认识你我也很高兴!I definitely don't use that as sentence as much as I used to anymore. :P

Also hello fellow Vienna friend! I'm actually working as an English Language Assistant in Lower Austria (Baden and another teeny village) - I work in two Gymnasiums, just helping with classes and stuff and I'm originally from the UK. Where are you from/what are you doing in Vienna? I think I saw you mention it earlier in this thread (??) but I've read so many posts on here since then haha.

Yeah, I was looking at the ÖSD exam - I don't know if that's just what they call the C2 exam here? Because even on the Goethe Institut website, it seems to be an exam designed for people who are wanting to study at uni in Germany/another German-speaking country or who are working. But that's why I'd been looking at it originally anyway, because I'd had half a plan to study here until I found a course that looked better for me in the UK - so I might end up taking the exam when I'm back there, which would be done through the Goethe Institut.

But yes - it does look like they only offer the Wirtschaftssprache exam, though if you're planning on studying in Vienna that would work out in your favour. Also, it does say this, which I just saw and it made me laugh for like a minute: "Für die Prüfung C2 dürfen Sie ein einsprachiges Wörterbuch (Deutsch-Deutsch) benutzen." So yeah, might not be too bad. ;)
1 x

AiyaLianxi
White Belt

Postby AiyaLianxi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Welcome to the group, everyone! I'm coordinating with Woodsei so we can get some more timely updates. Day Job tells me my schedule should stop killing me on Friday, and I hope that's true.

Week 2: Goals What's your focus/target by Sunday Jan 17, 11:59 pm?
So this is a day late, but I want to know--what are you guys focusing on or targeting this week? Also, can you believe it's already the second week?! I am so not ready.

Challenge! Optional
Devote 20% of your study time this week to passive input. Listening to music or news, watching tv or movies, skimming a magazine or book, or if you are so lucky, sitting in an area where you can eavesdrop on people speaking your target language!
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:30 pm

Could I join too please? My log is here although there's not much to see yet. I'll be continuing to work on Japanese (and a little German too).
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

wnint
White Belt
Languages: English

Postby wnint » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:01 pm

I just posted in the TAC-sign up thread. I'm doing Korean, Japanese (and Russian).

Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&p=20853
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:00 am

dampingwire wrote:Could I join too please? My log is here although there's not much to see yet. I'll be continuing to work on Japanese (and a little German too).

I read this has if a young child was saying this lol. I thought you already signed up for TAC here xP

Week 2: Goals What's your focus/target by Sunday Jan 17, 11:59 pm?
  • Decide if I'm going to start learning Korean Done!
  • Get to lesson 23 on Assimil (Nope)

Week 2 Challenge!
  • (most of my studying is passive) but I'll try to find a movie to watch with eng sub watch Ghostwriter ep1 Done!
Last edited by Rotasu on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Gone

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:02 am

wnint wrote:I just posted in the TAC-sign up thread. I'm doing Korean, Japanese (and Russian).

Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&p=20853

Welcome wnint!
1 x
Gone

Return to “Language Challenges”