Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Re: Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Postby Woodsei » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:01 pm

aliciaftw wrote:Hello, I'm wanting to join for Korean. I'm an absolute beginner and just going through Pimsleur right now. After that I plan to find a solid textbook to use in combination with Memrise. (I've seen a lot about Integrated Korean?)

Evita has a lot of really wonderful suggestions, as well as TheRealCZ and Warp3. Last I heard from CZ and Warp was over at HTLAL, though. Evita has an active log here. Here it is:

http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=1141#p6907

Also, Talk To Me In Korean is very good resource, I hear. I'm starting Korean this year, too, so we're both in the same boat.

EDIT: Somehow I missed that Evita had already responded. Apologies.
Last edited by Woodsei on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Woodsei wrote:
aliciaftw wrote:Hello, I'm wanting to join for Korean. I'm an absolute beginner and just going through Pimsleur right now. After that I plan to find a solid textbook to use in combination with Memrise. (I've seen a lot about Integrated Korean?)

Evita has a lot of really wonderful suggestions, as well as TheRealCZ and Warp3. Last I heard from CZ and Warp was over at HTLAL, though. Evita has an active log here. Here it is:

http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=1141#p6907

Also, Talk To Me In Korean is very good resource, I hear. I'm starting Korean this year, too, so we're both in the same boat.

Edit: Found CZ's log http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1219&p=8211#p8211
1 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

aliciaftw
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Spanish and Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1834

Postby aliciaftw » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Thank you Evita and Woodsei! I'll check all that out.
0 x

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:31 pm

Today I was feeling a bit distracted and I didn't really want to do assimil straight away, so I decided I'd have my first go at reading away from a textbook. I used a graded newspaper, http://www.thechairmansbao.com/, to find HSK3 level articles and then read them in LWT. I was wondering how I was going to get LWT to work with Mandarin, but now I've found a method that seems pretty good so far, I thought I'd share it here.

What I do is copy the text into a Mandarin word segmenter so it's split into "words" with spaces in between and then I put it into LWT, but changing the settings so "each character as a word" is set to off but "remove spaces" is set to on. This means that the spaces don't show up when you're reading, but when you click to search a dictionary for an unknown word it already knows where the word boundaries are. I've found LWT very useful right through all levels (I find it incredibly useful to streamline intensive reading at a C1 level as well), so I'd definitely suggest people try it if they haven't!
0 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

AiyaLianxi
White Belt

Postby AiyaLianxi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:44 pm

That is so cool, Amy! Do you have a recommended word segmenter? Also, that reminds me, I need to start a resources page for our languages.
1 x

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:25 pm

AiyaLianxi wrote:That is so cool, Amy! Do you have a recommended word segmenter? Also, that reminds me, I need to start a resources page for our languages.

Sadly I don't really have a recommendation yet, so far I've been using http://textanalysisonline.com/chinese-word-segmenter, which does the job but also makes mistakes now and then, which I'm assuming would increase with an increase in text complexity. It is however still a lot better than having to tag every multi-character word as a multi-word phrase in LWT, so I'm pretty happy for now until I find something better :)
1 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:48 pm

I know a word segmented for Japanese. Once I get home, I'll post it here.

http://nihongo.dpwright.com/spaces/index.php

I have also wanted to try LWT but the act of having to add spaces and fix the errors would get really annoying real fast for me xD There's also the problem of adding spaces in between grammar points and words. Even word segments would separate the verb stem from it's past tense :s
Last edited by Rotasu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Gone

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:57 pm

I use pera-pera and it segments words correctly most of the time, and I also still have the option to look up individual characters.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

AiyaLianxi
White Belt

Postby AiyaLianxi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 am

That's awesome, you guys. I'll add them to the resource list. The only thing similar I've seen is Jim Breen's text gloss, which breaks words and grammar down, but like the rest, it isn't perfect. http://nihongo.monash.edu/cgi-bin/wwwjdic?9T

How would you like to do weekly check ins here? Once midweek, once beginning and end? I want to make sure we hold each other accountable, but I also know some people can't log in every single day.
0 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Re: East Asian TAC

Postby Jimjam » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:55 am

amyhere wrote: I just noticed that you're actually from kind of almost the same area as me (I mean not really, but I live in Austria right now so anywhere in the same half of the country is "you're from the same place as me" to me right now. I'm from Central Vic but I'm living in Vienna right now.
That's great that you're going to Japan, what uni are you at? (I just realised that might be too much info, feel free to not answer that haha)

Haha I don't mind. I currently live in Wollongong and go to UOW but am from somewhere a few hours south, though still nowhere near central Victoria.

I've been on HTLAL since 2012 but I've never actually properly interacted with anyone so I look forward to getting to know people in this team and using this as a way to keep myself on track.
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”