Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Re: East Asian TAC

Postby Rotasu » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 am

AiyaLianxi wrote:
Week 0 Late Start:
How about we start with which language(s) we're focusing on, how we intend to study, and what our goals are for this year?

Late post because of work.
I'm focusing on inputting Japanese. I sticking mostly to listening and reading while hopefully getting into writing after Assimil 2. I intend to study with Japanesepod101, Assimil and any thing that will help with listening xD I'm trying to not have any big goals so I just have a list of things I want to get done before December :3

I see myself at a upper A1 level. Not yet A2 level, sadly :(

As far as Week 0 goes, I'm doing good. Assimil going strong and I'm getting better at watching at least a few YouTube videos after work :D
0 x
Gone

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:28 am

Thanks for setting this up! I'm signing in with Japanese. I'm bordering on the N2-ish, and while my listening and comprehension are very strong, I need to work on my output which I have completely neglected. This year will also be the year for reading!

I am also going to work on Korean or Mandarin. I haven't decided which yet, but these will not be the main languages of the TAC this year, unlike Japanese. However, I'll keep logging my progress in any language I study this year.

Again, thanks! I offered to lead if no one wants to do it, or if Yuhakko doesn't show up, over at the TAC sign-up thread, but if you are already the leader, then great, and I hope I didn't cross any boundaries with my offer. I had nearly given up on there being a TAC this year, so I showed up late to the scene. I'll be using last year's Japanese log again this year. Here's the link:

http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1430&p=12346#p12346

I have yet to update it with the 2016 TAC tagline, though.

Edited: Updated the title.
0 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Postby Jimjam » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:56 am

I'll be doing Japanese for the TAC. I'm currently at a level between n4-n3 (some sort of B1). My aim for the year is to get to a solid n3, on the way to n2, which should be doable if I get into my year long exchange to Japan 2nd semester.
I have a more in depth post of my goals in my log which is viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789
0 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Postby Jimjam » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:10 am

Woodsei wrote: I have yet to update it with the 2016 TAC tagline, though.

It might be a stupid question but how do you change the title? I can't seem to figure it out.
0 x

AiyaLianxi
White Belt

Re: Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Postby AiyaLianxi » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:38 am

Post is edited, but not all links added yet. I will keep updating until everyone's logs are linked, promise!

Jimjam, you edit your first post, I believe.

Welcome, Woodsei! I'd love to have help captaining. I think it's good to have a few people committed to the cause. I stepped up because I've been waiting for TAC to reboot all year, and I logged in yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. I've found active communities help me stick to my goals easier.

Rotasu, your goals sound great and very attainable.
1 x

aliciaftw
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Spanish and Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1834

Postby aliciaftw » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:13 am

Hello, I'm wanting to join for Korean. I'm an absolute beginner and just going through Pimsleur right now. After that I plan to find a solid textbook to use in combination with Memrise. (I've seen a lot about Integrated Korean?)
0 x

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:06 am

aliciaftw wrote:Hello, I'm wanting to join for Korean. I'm an absolute beginner and just going through Pimsleur right now. After that I plan to find a solid textbook to use in combination with Memrise. (I've seen a lot about Integrated Korean?)

Integrated Korean is meant for classroom use, you'd be better off with something meant for self-learners. I already posted my recommendations in some logs of Korean beginners. Try "Korean from Zero" or "Click Korean" (that's a webcourse).

Also, sorry if I gave the wrong impression but I don't plan to participate in the TAC this year. I'll be just an observer.
1 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Jimjam wrote:I'll be doing Japanese for the TAC. I'm currently at a level between n4-n3 (some sort of B1). My aim for the year is to get to a solid n3, on the way to n2, which should be doable if I get into my year long exchange to Japan 2nd semester.
I have a more in depth post of my goals in my log which is viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

I just noticed that you're actually from kind of almost the same area as me (I mean not really, but I live in Austria right now so anywhere in the same half of the country is "you're from the same place as me" to me right now. I'm from Central Vic but I'm living in Vienna right now.

That's great that you're going to Japan, what uni are you at? (I just realised that might be too much info, feel free to not answer that haha)
1 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

Woodsei
Yellow Belt

Postby Woodsei » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Jimjam wrote:
Woodsei wrote: I have yet to update it with the 2016 TAC tagline, though.

It might be a stupid question but how do you change the title? I can't seem to figure it out.

No, not stupid at all. I was in the same boat as a newbie. Just edit the title field with your chosen name and add TAC 2016, or something to that effect. Hope that helps.
0 x

Woodsei
Yellow Belt

Postby Woodsei » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:55 pm

AiyaLianxi wrote:Post is edited, but not all links added yet. I will keep updating until everyone's logs are linked, promise!

Jimjam, you edit your first post, I believe.

Welcome, Woodsei! I'd love to have help captaining. I think it's good to have a few people committed to the cause. I stepped up because I've been waiting for TAC to reboot all year, and I logged in yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. I've found active communities help me stick to my goals easier.

Rotasu, your goals sound great and very attainable.

Good to know we're all getting together finally. I stick better with active teams and motivation, as well. Just let me know what you need help with. To get started, keep the first post as an introduction to the team, then save some empty posts to be edited later for resources. Have separate posts for individual languages (e.g, Japanese resources post, Mandarin, Korean, Ainu, etc.).

If you need any help with anything, let me know. Again, thank you so much for starting this, AiyaLianxi. I don't really want to dictate too much until you and everyone on the team is okay with any kind of co-leader activities from me :D If you give me the green light, I'll go ahead and set up resources posts, or anything down the line. Or maybe just tell you and you can set it up however you please.

So excited to have another TAC this year!
Last edited by Woodsei on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”