Esperanto team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Esperanto team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Postby tarvos » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:35 pm

Mi lernis ĉar mi havas amikojn kiuj parolas la lingvon. Mi povas uzi tion kaj legi tion ĉiutage, se mi volas aŭ bezonas. La volo sufiĉas ĉiam, se la volo estas sufice forta. Sed mi ankaŭ pensas ke ne havas sencon dubi tro multe pri tiaj aferoj. Ĉia minuto, ke vi pensas pri tio, vi povus uzi por lerni. Do lernu.
4 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:00 pm

Thank you for the input re: the -u ending, tarvos and Radioclare. I'll have to have a look at some of those links when I have a minute.

Radioclare wrote:Btw Spoonary, is there anyway I can convince you to come to Liverpool in March? :)

I just don't know, Clare. I would love to be able to say "Certe, mi vidos vin tie!" but I'm not sure I can. I know there is funding available (which I would just be eligible for because I turn 25 in April) so money isn't a problem (right?), and I am definitely interested in the content of the conference, as well as the Buchanan Masterclass. The thing is, I am supposed to be actively looking for work daily as part of my contract with the job centre, not gallivanting off to Liverpool for Esperanto conferences. Besides, Friday is the day I have to go into the centre and talk to them about what I have been doing to find work. I am not sure they would give me a Friday off, or give me a really early appointment for this reason. And in the event that I had managed to convince someone to employ me by March, well a similar problem applies. :? It's a shame because Liverpool is only a couple of hours away from me on the train, and I would really like to come... I'll have to think about it and get back to you.

@Stelle - Ĉe mia malnova log mi jam estis demandita ĉi tiun aferon do mi reskribos mian respondon ĉi tie por vi "Ĉu sufiĉus al vi ke mi nur volis lerni ĝin?" :P
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Spoonary wrote:I just don't know, Clare. I would love to be able to say "Certe, mi vidos vin tie!" but I'm not sure I can. I know there is funding available (which I would just be eligible for because I turn 25 in April) so money isn't a problem (right?), and I am definitely interested in the content of the conference, as well as the Buchanan Masterclass. The thing is, I am supposed to be actively looking for work daily as part of my contract with the job centre, not gallivanting off to Liverpool for Esperanto conferences. Besides, Friday is the day I have to go into the centre and talk to them about what I have been doing to find work. I am not sure they would give me a Friday off, or give me a really early appointment for this reason. And in the event that I had managed to convince someone to employ me by March, well a similar problem applies. :? It's a shame because Liverpool is only a couple of hours away from me on the train, and I would really like to come... I'll have to think about it and get back to you.

There's definitely no pressure to go :) It was just a suggestion really as was thinking it's not too far away (next year will probably be Edinburgh!) and your Esperanto is as good as a lot of people who will be there :)
'
We would definitely be able to sort out NoJEF funding for the costs though if you were able to make it. And not everyone will be there for the start of the event on the Friday night (I won't be, because I'll be working in Birmingham until about 6 and then travelling up to Liverpool) so it wouldn't be a problem to do just the Saturday/Sunday bit of the conference if that worked for you.
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Radioclare wrote:There's definitely no pressure to go :) It was just a suggestion really as was thinking it's not too far away (next year will probably be Edinburgh!) and your Esperanto is as good as a lot of people who will be there :)
'
We would definitely be able to sort out NoJEF funding for the costs though if you were able to make it. And not everyone will be there for the start of the event on the Friday night (I won't be, because I'll be working in Birmingham until about 6 and then travelling up to Liverpool) so it wouldn't be a problem to do just the Saturday/Sunday bit of the conference if that worked for you.

Oh don't worry, I didn't feel I was being pressured by you. I had seen you post about the conference somewhere else on the forum (at least, I think it was you) and decided then that I was interested but that I probably wouldn't be able to go. However, you're right, it isn't too far away... I might be able to persuade myself it's a good idea :P

About my Esperanto, I don't know... My speaking is horrendous, and my writing is the product of persistent looking-up of words in the vortaro. :lol: Coming to the conference would definitely give me a reason to step up the pace, though, and do some more focussed Esperanto work.

Thanks for the info about the funding, etc. As I say, I'll have a good think about it and give you an answer by the end of the week, because if not, I will deliberate for weeks, and I guess I would need to get the ball rolling pretty soonish for funding and accommodation etc.
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:27 pm

Just to clarify to everyone else why Spoonary and I are cryptically talking about funding... We have a charity in the UK which was set up many decades ago to enable young people to travel to Esperanto events around the world. The charity has accumulated an astonishing amount of money over the years, but its trust deed restricts it to providing assistance to people who are under 25 and live in the UK/are British.

If you are lucky enough to fall into that population, then we are able to pay the costs of your transport, accommodation, food etc to travel to Esperanto events anywhere in the world, on the condition that you write a short report in Esperanto after the event about where you went and what you did. The most exciting(/expensive!) trip we've funded in recent years was a guy who went to the Internacia Junulara Kongreso in Brazil :) Over the years people have also been to Japan, Vietnam and a whole host of European countries, as well as of course attending more local events in the UK.

If you ever come across anyone who is learning Esperanto and could benefit from this charity, then please point them in my direction so that I can encourage them to make lots and lots of requests before they get too old :lol:
3 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:52 pm

Spoonary wrote:We also use the -u ending in subordinate phrases (clauses) starting with ke, when the verb in the preceding, main part of the sentence expresses a want, desire, demand or preference:
Mi volas, ke vi iru. - I want you to go.
Li preferas, ke mi ne donu al vi monon. - He prefers that I do not give you money.
Ŝi postulas, ke la infanoj studu. - She insists that the children study

The first time I learned this pattern I thought "wow, it's so obvious that it was a Yiddish-speaker who came up with this." In English spoken by native Yiddish speakers and their descendants, this is a common sort of phrasing. For example, we might say "you want I should make some coffee?" Apparently, this is not done by most other English native speakers, but it is a direct calque from the way it would be said in Yiddish.
3 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:54 am

I just listened to an interesting episode of Radio Verda from 2007. It featured an interview between Sonja Lang (the inventor of the conlang Toki Pona) and Gregor Hinker (co-inventor of the then-new Esperanto word "mojosa"). I didn't understand all of it, so I plan on listening again. I thought some of my fellow word-nerds might enjoy it!

Radio Verda episodo 106
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Stelle wrote:I just listened to an interesting episode of Radio Verda from 2007. It featured an interview between Sonja Lang (the inventor of the conlang Toki Pona) and Gregor Hinker (co-inventor of the then-new Esperanto word "mojosa"). I didn't understand all of it, so I plan on listening again. I thought some of my fellow word-nerds might enjoy it!

Radio Verda episodo 106

Wow, that is a coincidence. I was just looking back at my old log on HTLAL.com about an entry I made about learning Toki Pona (cause it is only 120 words) and then read this. Hum... maybe I should add that to my wanderlust list.
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Stelle wrote:I just listened to an interesting episode of Radio Verda from 2007. It featured an interview between Sonja Lang (the inventor of the conlang Toki Pona) and Gregor Hinker (co-inventor of the then-new Esperanto word "mojosa"). I didn't understand all of it, so I plan on listening again. I thought some of my fellow word-nerds might enjoy it!

Thanks for the link, Stelle - I just listened and it was really interesting :) I liked the bit where Gregor was doubting whether "mojosa" would ever make it into dictionaries etc; it has certainly made it into a few popular ones now (like the John Wells Esperanto/English one), even if it's not quite official :)
1 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Saluton teamo! Mi havas demandon por vi. Kie vi trovas esperantistoj por praktiki? Mi volas trovi instruiston en Skype, sed gxi ne estas facila. Mi trovis esperantistoj por interŝanĝi lingvo, sed ili estas komencantoj, kiel mi. Gxi estas tre malfacila renkonti esperantistojn progresintojn por praktiki. Cxu vi havas ideojn por mi? Dankon!
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”