Esperanto team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Esperanto team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:46 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I didn't see this page in the list of resources:
http://esperantofre.com/

Thank you Jeff, I have now added this (and a couple of other things) to the list of resources.

Hodiaŭ ĉe Facebook mi vidis ĉi tiun intervjuon kun Chuck Smith, unu el la kreantoj de la Esperanto-kurso ĉe Duolingo. Eble ĝi estos interesa por tiuj el vi kiuj lernas per Duolingo :)

(Today on Facebook I saw this interview with Chuck Smith, one of the creators of the Esperanto course on Duolingo. Perhaps it will be interesting for those of you who are learning with Duolingo :) )
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Not sure whether anyone is interested in Esperanto history, but my partner has been in France for the past couple of days, attending a ceremony to commemorate 100 years since the death of Harold Bolingbroke Mudie. Mudie was a pioneer of Esperanto in Britain in the early years of the twentieth century and travelled extensively with the language, but died tragically during the First World War. You can read more about him in English (here) or in Esperanto (here). If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the slideshow, there are some fascinating historical pictures of Esperantists too :)
4 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:05 pm

Those are some really interesting pieces of cultural goodness you have shared there, Clare. Dankon :)

I definitely don't know enough about Esperanto history/culture (yet). The only problem is that I always convince myself that I don't have the time to look these things up, but when you present them to me in such bite-sized chunks, I really don't have any excuse now, do I? :P
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Dankon, Clare! Mi renkontis Chuck ĉe la Polyglot Kunvenoj kaj dum unu Esperanta semajnfino kiu li kaj Sprachprofi organizis.

(Traduko: Thanks, Clare - I met Chuck at the Polyglot Gatherings and during an Esperanto weekend which he and Sprachprofi organised)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:12 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Dankon, Clare! Mi renkontis Chuck ĉe la Polyglot Kunvenoj kaj dum unu Esperanta semajnfino kiu li kaj Sprachprofi organizis.

(Traduko: Thanks, Clare - I met Chuck at the Polyglot Gatherings and during an Esperanto weekend which he and Sprachprofi organised)

Ni estis feliĉaj ke Chuck prelegis ĉe brita kongreso antaŭ kelkaj jaroj, interalie pri la starigo de Vikipedio. Estas mirinde kiom da por-Esperanta laboro ili ambaŭ faras. Mi ege ĝojis aŭdi ke li gajnis la premion “Esperantisto de la jaro“ :)

(We were lucky that Chuck lectured at a British Esperanto Conference a few years ago, among other things about the creation of the Esperanto Wikipedia. It’s amazing how much work they both do for Esperanto. I was really pleased to hear that he had won the prize “Esperantist of the year“)

Spoonary - I have to confess that I don’t know a lot about Esperanto history either and I hadn’t heard about Mudie until my boyfriend starting organising the ceremony :oops:
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:42 pm

So here's a thing I find interesting about Esperanto; the use of the ending -u in subordinate phrases.

THE -U ENDING IN SUBORDINATE PHRASES
We also use the -u ending in subordinate phrases (clauses) starting with ke, when the verb in the preceding, main part of the sentence expresses a want, desire, demand or preference:
Mi volas, ke vi iru. - I want you to go.
Li preferas, ke mi ne donu al vi monon. - He prefers that I do not give you money.
Ŝi postulas, ke la infanoj studu. - She insists that the children study
(Explanation and examples courtesy of the Duolingo Esperanto team)

I think of it as a kind of subjunctive, and therefore (as a native English speaker) don't really see the necessity of it. Well, I guess it provides a kind of cover-all "tense"... Taking the third sentence (above) as an example, she insists that the children study. The children could be studying in the present, or the future, or just in general. The -u ending covers all of these possibilities without limiting us to one. Thoughts?

Sorry if none of that made sense to anyone... :?
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:42 pm

I suspect it's one of those things that seems weirder to native English speakers than to speakers of many other languages.

I try to think of it as being linked to the imperative rather than as a subjunctive. So if I want you to go I would say "Iru!" to you, if she wants the children to study she would tell them "Studu"... and then the subordinate clauses are just reporting what was said using a similar phrasing; "mi volas ke vi iru", "ŝi volas ke ili studu" etc.

That's just how I remember it to get it correct though, not any official explanation! I think you're on the right lines when you say that the aim is to express something independently of it happening in a past/present/future tense :)

There are some explanations (in Esperanto) in PMEG for anyone who wants to read more:

Vola modo: U-finaĵo
Verboformoj en ke-frazoj

Btw Spoonary, is there anyway I can convince you to come to Liverpool in March? :)
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:47 pm

It's a jussive. Apparently. Whatever the hell that means. I just see it as an injunction, stronger or weaker depending on the context, exhorting people to do things.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Saluton amikoj! Mi havas demandon por vi. Kiel vi lernas Esperanton? Mi ne scias kiel mi lernas. Gxi estas amuza, sed mi ne bezonas lerni. Mi ne konas esperantistojn. Mi edzo ne volas lerni, do ni neniam parolos kune. Mi ne sxatas iri al "meetups".

Kelkfoje mi pensas, ke estus pli bone lerni lingvon kiel la italan. Sed mi sxatas lerni Esperanton! Cxu tiu estas suficxe?
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Saluton Stelle! Se vi ĝuas lerni Esperanton, miaopinie tiu sufiĉas :) Ŝajnas ke vi jam lernis multon!

Mi ne memoras ĉu vi estas ĉe Twitter aŭ ne, sed se jes kaj vi sekvas min, vi vidos ke en mia biografio mi skribis simple "Mi neniam intencis lerni Esperanton". Verŝajne mi do ne estas la plej bona persono por respondi al via demando!

Mi unue eklernis en 2002, ĉar tiam mi estis juna kaj enamiĝis en knabo kiu ege interesiĝis pri la lingvo. Mi tuj ŝatis la logikon de Esperanto, sed mi tute ne interesiĝis pri la renkontiĝoj do ĉesis lerni post kvar ĉapitroj de "Teach Yourself Esperanto". Dum 2004 tiu sama amiko renkontis novan koramikinon ĉe Esperanto-renkontiĝo en Italio, kaj ŝi parolis nur la rusan kaj Esperanton. Mi iom ĵaluzis(!) pro ŝi kaj ekstudis Esperanton denove por povi ekkoni ŝin kaj eltrovi kia ŝi estas :oops:

Poste la vivo fariĝis pli komplika kaj mi perdis kontakton kun ambaŭ homoj. En 2006 mi trovis min en vivan situacion malfacilan kaj dum vojaĝado en Germanio, tute hazarde vidis Esperanto-budon ĉe iu lingva foiro. Tiu memorigis min pri la lingvo kaj verŝajne nur pro manko da aliaj ebloj mi eklernis ĝin pli profunde. Mi aliĝis al la asocio por junuloj en Britio kaj per tiu renkontis mian nunan fianĉon :) Ekde tiam Esperanto fariĝis parto de mia ĉiutaga vivo (ĉar ni ofte uzas ĝin kiel sekretan lingvon inter ni) kaj mi eĉ sep jarojn laboras volontule por la Esperanto-asocio ĉi tie en Britio. Tamen tiu vere neniam estis mia intenco, kaj pro tio mia frazo ĉe Twitter.

Mi skribis ĉi tiun en Esperanto ĉar vi tiom bone skribis vian mesaĝon. Sed se vi ne komprenas ion kaj ŝatus ke mi traduku - simple diru :)

PS. I think you intended to ask us "Kial vi lernas Esperanton?" (Why are you learning Esperanto?) rather than "Kiel vi lernis Esperanton?" (How are you learning Esperanto?).
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”