La Manada: Intermediate / Advanced Spanish TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Re: La Manada: Intermediate / Advanced Spanish TAC 2016

Postby Yuurei » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:54 pm

(Excuse my writing in English, but I am way too lazy to make the extra effort of using Spanish =x)

No worries, Stelle. As Spoonary rightly pointed out, any one of us could have made an effort to post here. I did think of the manada a few times, but I already already have trouble keeping up with my own log, so naturally I never actually got around to posting anything here either. :oops:

Not to mention that I don't feel like my Spanish learning has been very much in the spirit of the TAC so far this year - I ended up more invested in French and Japanese than I'd predicted at the start of the year, and as a result my Spanish has been a bit neglected. I am well on track to reaching my reading goal of 12 Spanish books and have watched some TV in Spanish here and there, but that's about it. :roll:

However, I don't mean to continue this willful negligence and have, in fact, just started 2 projects to change that:

1. I started doing the MOOC Aprender of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México on Coursera. It started last Monday and lasts 4 weeks. I just completed the content of the first week and have to say that this course is nothing short of amazing (so far). The presentation is engaging and interesting without ever losing its academic depth. The content is both fascinating and delivers practical information. And the videos are interrupted every once in a while by short quizzes which test whether you understood the material that was just covered and exercises like a short IQ test, a test of your attention and other experiments that relate to the subject matter that is covered, thus aiming to deepen your understanding of the same. It's lots of fun and I'd recommend the course to all lob@s (or other forum members with a good understanding of Spanish, of course)!

2. I've decided to work through the FSI Basic Spanish course to improve my active Spanish skills. While I'm pretty happy with my receptive skills, my active are woefully behind and I'm hopeful that the FSI course might remedy that. Also, I've been interested in trying out one of these courses for some time, to be honest. :D
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:30 pm

We've just been thinking, with Brun Ugle and a few others on her log, that our Spanish efforts quite dwindled and lost track during the last months. Inspired by our fresh Finnish mit extra Mühe folly, we are now super motivated to get going. But perhaps, instead of thinking of different Spanish projects (and no name would be better than Manada, in my opinion :-D ), perhaps we could inject some new life and sense of cohesion here and work more like a pack!

Perhaps we could as well draw from the idea of the Course Completion Challenge (which I love and which has already proven helpful to me). Or the Output Challenge. Or look at the things that have been working so well for the Scandinavian teams.

Is there a resource or two that most of us are following? Something to make us strive not fall too behind compared to the peloton. The easiest option seems to be Gramatica de Uso del Espanol, either B or C or both, as those books are pretty popular. Or we could make a in-team "output challenge" or something. Something to make us update more often and actually have some progress to report. What do you think, lobos?
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:02 pm

Cavesa wrote:Is there a resource or two that most of us are following? Something to make us strive not fall too behind compared to the peloton. The easiest option seems to be Gramatica de Uso del Espanol, either B or C or both, as those books are pretty popular. Or we could make a in-team "output challenge" or something. Something to make us update more often and actually have some progress to report. What do you think, lobos?

Well, we could make it easy for me by just joining me in what my current plans are... ;) Specifically:

• Spanish class homework: reading "La casa de Mango Street"
    • To make it more challenging, I'm listening to the audiobook before reading the Spanish. I'm also translating from the (original) English to the professional Spanish translation (done by Elena Elena Poniatovska!), then comparing the differences to understand why her translation was better.
  • "Gramática de use del español" (I have level C)
  • watch a TV show together
    • I'm watching "El ministerio del tiempo" & I'm going to start "Narcos" soon
  • Prep for & participation in NaNoWriMothat should take care of written output! :lol:
3 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Resurrecting La Manada is a great idea! I'm the leader of the non-intermediate/advanced Spanish TAC team because I wasn't advanced enough for this team in January, but I think I pretty much qualify now—I'm sure I'm behind all of you, but I pretty much fit the description in the first post. I've been watching the Finnish group project with some amount of jealousy, though I don't have a desire to learn Finnish. It would be great to be involved in an intermediate Spanish group project.

I have basically just started Gramática de Uso del Español B. I'm nearing the end of my telenovela, so it would be perfect timing to start watching another one with all of you. I'm doing a mini-output challenge of my own and would be glad to join with you. Basically, I'm eager to join in whatever.
1 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:35 pm

So nice to see some life here! I'm on an epic road trip right now. We left on August 18 from Toronto, visited family in Texas, drove and camped through Colorado, Utah and Arizona, and are now in California. (Note to American forum members: your country is a truly amazing place!) I guess we'll be home in two weeks or so, and then I'll be getting ready for Spanish immersion in Guatemala. I'd be totally open to joining in on any challenge, although I'm not sure that my wifi in Guatemala will be strong enough to stream tv. I do have gramatica c, but I'm not sure if I'll bring it with me...I'm a light packer, and it's a heavy book. If you're all doing it I may be convinced!
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Cavesa suggested I join in here. I don't really feel qualified, but maybe I'm just judging myself too harshly. I did read "La casa de los espíritus" with the book club and a few things on my own, so my reading is probably near the right level. I've also watched "La fea más bella" and "Yo soy Betty la fea" in their entirety and am on season two of "El ministerio del tiempo." And I finished both the intermediate and advanced "Notes in Spanish" podcasts. So my listening isn't too bad either. I still have some trouble with the news, but maybe it's just that news is boring and I often don't know what they're talking about when the topic is unfamiliar. My real trouble is speaking and writing. Sometimes I can have a pleasant conversation and other times it's really painful. And I suppose I really don't write enough or (almost) at all.

I'm currently halfway through FSI Basic and have already finished the Programmatic course. I'm also working my way through the B level of "Gramática de uso del español" and am nearing the end. I'm on lesson 94 of 116. I'm also working through the level 2+ lessons on GLOSS.

I'm hoping I can find more tips and some encouragement in this group.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:38 pm

I think we are still quite varied here (so you definitely belong here, my dear owl and Allison), but we can centralize the efforts a bit.

For example, GdUdE is a good connecting bit, we could have the motivating progress bars and such things. And it wouldn't be that much of a problem that part of the team is in the blue book, while others are in the green already. We, the weaker ones, will catch up! After all, if we transform Manada now, noone says we have to end this thread/project at the end of 2016 and make a new one in January. It might actually be healthy to leave the "New Year Resolution Effect", but I know there are probably various opinions on that.

And I suggest we switched the threads language to Spanish asap :-)

How about a weekly output bit? A post in Spanish, or a short audio on Lingora?
Our tvseries and books are a great starting point for discussions, reviews, and other kind of practice. Other than that, I am not sure we can start team reading/watching as we have very different amounts of free time and these extensive activities usually take the leftovers that we don't invest "more seriously", don't they?
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:34 am

Cavesa wrote:And I suggest we switched the threads language to Spanish asap :-)

De acuerdo :P

Primero, quiero daros la bienvenida a todos y a todas los que se sienten preparados para unirse a la manada. También os doy mis gracias por querer resucitar este nuestro grupo con vuestra pasión por los retos comunitarios. ;)

A propósito de retos, me temo que cualquier intento de hacer que todos hagan la misma cosa más o menos de modo regular esté condenado al fracaso. Pero de todos modos, podéis contar conmigo.*

*Quiero decir, lo intentaré pero no prometo conseguir nada.
4 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:36 pm

¿Hay otros ministéricos aquí? ¡Buenas noticias! "El ministerio del tiempo" volverá.
http://www.rtve.es/television/20160922/ ... 7524.shtml
6 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:¿Hay otros ministéricos aquí? ¡Buenas noticias! "El ministerio del tiempo" volverá.
http://www.rtve.es/television/20160922/ ... 7524.shtml

¡YUUUUUUUUJUUUUUUUUU! :D
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Return to “Language Challenges”