Team Wanderlust - TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Team Wanderlust - TAC 2016

Postby rdearman » Sat May 07, 2016 3:02 pm

JohannaNYC wrote:The Enabler

:lol:
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

gallo1801
White Belt
Spanish (C1/C2)
French (A2)
German (A1)
Arabic (beginner)
Croatian (beginner)
Language Log: http://www.forum.language-learners.org/ ... 081#p29081

Postby gallo1801 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:55 pm

So I have a short, spontaneous, and quick trip to Tel Aviv at the end of June that just came up, so I am starting from zero and going to try and finish Assimil Hebrew in 34 days starting today! Only knowledge is that I have 4 semesters of college Arabic (MSA) so I have dealt with Semitic languages before. Yay excitement!

So taking a break from German while I continue avec mon français and buckle down with Hebrew.
1 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Thu May 26, 2016 6:36 pm

I've been taking time off to help a friend with a parent's hospice care, and to play mandolin (which fortunately soothes both the patient and myself). I recently learned my friend is interested enough in learning Latin American Spanish to have bought Rosetta Stone for it, so I'm curious to check RS out. Also I suffer the usual west coast frustration with not understanding more Spanish already (my midcentury midwestern middle/high school placed me in French and Latin instead).
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Postby JohannaNYC » Sat May 28, 2016 3:48 pm

I think I've really done it this time. On top of maintaining Italian, still struggling with Croatian grammar, restarting Arabic in October, and starting Greek from scratch in December, I'm also now learning Romanian. Romanian was chosen for the Lingua Franca Challenge on FB and since I've been intrigued by it for a while I figured this is my chance to learn it for at least the next six months, possibly beyond.

Unfortunately, this is all very exhausting, not to mention how do I find time to study 5-6 hours everyday on top of the Super Challenge? :o

I think I have a problem. Hello everyone, my name is Johanna and I'm a language addict.
5 x
Corrections welcomed!

mairead
White Belt
Languages: English native speaker. Studied the following in school or college: Latin, (mostly forgotten but intend to revise), Irish, (Can speak it but need large improvement in vocabulary, which I am currently addressing), French, Spanish, German, Italian: Revising all now. I am studying Russian intensively at the moment for family reasons.

Postby mairead » Mon May 30, 2016 11:47 pm

I love the idea of this team. I am Irish, and can speak it in a 'sorta' way. English is my main language, and at school many years ago, I studied Latin, Spanish, French and of course Irish. I had a year of Spanish and Latin at college before dropping out, but I returned nineteen years ago and got a degree in German and Italian. I am refurbishing my Spanish, French and German on Duolingo, and am also studying Russian, because I have a Russian-speaking daughter-in-law now; I have also taken up Filipino (mainly Tagalog, due to the books available) because I became ill two years ago and most of my nurses and carers in hospital were from the Phillipines. One even taught me a couple of rude expressions to be helpful. I still look around at other languages, and may get to have a go at Mandarin yet. I also collect language books of all sorts, which is a great appetite-whetter. I forgot to mention that I studied Turkish and Romanian for a short while, but I didn't really have a huge incentive to continue, so they're in Limbo at the moment.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Hope everybody is doing fine! Here's a brief summary of February-April:

Scriptorium - none
Reading - Swedish, English, German, Mandarin and Romanian
Listening - podcasts in English
L-R: Finnish/Swedish
Analysis (grammar, exercises etc.) - Mandarin and Cantonese

Short before the Polyglot Gathering I decided to have a go at L-R again, this time in Finnish (why not - I managed to find the book+book+audiobook combo at the library). Some Cantonese movies inspired me enough to start studying the language.

More details in my own log.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language Challenges”