Team Wanderlust - TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Sooniye
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (Adv), Spanish (~A2-B1), Croatian (~A1), French (~A1), Basque (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1981

Re: Team Wanderlust - TAC 2016

Postby Sooniye » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:11 pm

I tend to react in the same way when I am doing the 6WC, an intense interest in another language than the one I am participating with comes to the surface. :oops:

This time it was Basque. But this time I decided to just go with the flow, but at the same time I am trying to stay passionate about Croatian as well. So I have been spending this week with a lot of studying both Croatian and Basque. Atleast this way I will not get bored. :D
2 x

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Postby JohannaNYC » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:04 pm

Maybe it's a side effect of the 6WC, but I have a sudden urge to learn a few other languages. I want it to be an easy language, because it's very frustrating for me to have to study a language for more than 2 or 3 months before being able to have a basic conversation. I'm thinking Ladino, or maybe Sicilian since I have a Sicilian language and travel guide. However, I want a language with a large number of speakers so Portuguese would be a better choice, but not crazy about the nasal sounds and all the silent letters. French would be great as I could actually use my Assimil Le Croate the way it was meant to be used, but French is so hard to pronounce.

How do you all manage the wanderlust? Or better yet, how do you learn to enjoy it?
1 x
Corrections welcomed!

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:02 am

I think I came to terms with wanderlust when learning to play musical instruments as an adult beginner. started with one instrument, like a sane person, but that became several, and I've just come to accept that I'm not going to be as good at any of them as I would be if I could focus on only one... but I'm just not built that way. Instead I have fun, stay interested, and my musical mind gets stretched in lots of directions, which feels good. And now I've resumed studying languages, it's the same story all over again.

My downfall as a learner is that I lack patience with plateaus, and meanwhile there are so interesting things to do and learn...
4 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:29 pm

I enjoy following this topic, but I'm not going to join Team Wanderlust. But, if I did, here are the sirens that are calling me:
  • Russian
  • Koine Greek
  • Arabic
I'm going to stay focused on French for now, but I wish you all good luck. :D
books (640x360).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Sooniye
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (Adv), Spanish (~A2-B1), Croatian (~A1), French (~A1), Basque (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1981

Postby Sooniye » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:13 pm

I agree with tangleweeds. I'm just not built that way. I can focus, but I always enjoyed doing multiple things at once. I just want to know a little of everything. When I read, I read several books at once, so it feels natural to study different things even in languages, even if it means spreading my wings too wide. I am more happy about the journey itself than reaching the "end-station". So I just try to have as much fun as possible along the way. :)

And thank you Tom, maybe you will give in and join next year! ;)
2 x

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Postby JohannaNYC » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Ok, I'm in!!!

I'm only flirting with French on Duolingo right now. For me it's strange to study a language that I don't really care for, but I'm loving Egyptian Arabic and I want to be ready should Assimil release an Egyptian Arabic course beyond the "de poche" one. Besides, if I can learn to pronounce Arabic properly (working on it), I'm sure I can learn to pronounce French correctly too.

Here's the link to my log which I've been meaning to update viewtopic.php?t=1521
1 x
Corrections welcomed!

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:06 am

OK, JohannaNYC, your log is linked from the front page. Duolingo was made to enable wanderlust. It's what got me studying languages again.

Sort of near the beginning of the month is a good time to check in, isn't it? I've been sticking with Japanese for the 6WC, but interspersing it wtih half hour sessions with something like Assimil Russian, or Buntús Cainte (has short chapters) in Irish. Or reading an A1 French graded novelette (w/ audio) of no particular intrinsic interest, except that it's well crafted to reawaken my long dormant French.

Let's make this month's challenge to post links to the most wanderlust-enabling sites or apps we've run across. I reserved a post at the beginning of the thread for resources, and wanderlust-inciting links could give it purpose.
2 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 am

I can with pride announce that due to a stay in Nitra in Slovakia later this year I have been trying to understand the content of hotel reviews in Slovak and other incomprehensible Slavic languages, and I have also read about some of the sights in the country. WIth considerably less pride I must admit that those texts are at the very limit of what I can deal with at my current level in the Slavic languages. But I do understand the dilemma of the following Polish costumer: "Ciekawostka kaucja za pilot do TV 10 Euro i jak już go macie to trzy kanały.Jest lodówka ale jeden kontakt z TV więc albo chłodzimy piwo albo oglądamy czeski film." Or in other words: there is a 10 € deposit for the remote to the TV, which only has three channels, and there is only one socket in the wall which has to be shared with the fridge - so it's either cold beer or Czech films. Poor man, but at least he had a fridge in the room...
4 x

Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Postby Zireael » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:49 pm

Does Duolingo have Japanese and Russian from scratch?
0 x

gallo1801
White Belt
Spanish (C1/C2)
French (A2)
German (A1)
Arabic (beginner)
Croatian (beginner)
Language Log: http://www.forum.language-learners.org/ ... 081#p29081

Postby gallo1801 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:33 pm

Can I play? :D

Here's the link to my log. Focusing on French and German in 2016, with a smaller focus on Croatian and Arabic. Will most likely wanderlust with two of the following depending a various factors: Portuguese, Italian, Greek, Hebrew, Turkish, Afrikaans, or Catalan.

Looking forward to it!

http://www.forum.language-learners.org/ ... =15&t=2410
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”