A Distraction Limiting Challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

A Distraction Limiting Challenge

Postby Cavesa » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:56 pm

This is something I've really been thinking about lately, as it has a lot to do with procrastination, spreading oneself too thin, and/or getting distracted.

In today's society, we are much more often facing an avalanche of information and entertainment, rather than scarcity. There is such a competition for our attention! And it can be detrimental to focused work on our goals. We will probably all agree that variety of activities and resources is important in language learning, but lots of learners spread ourselves too thin (and many teachers do that too, and lead their classes into the same problem, and as a consequence to failure. It's not just an independt learners' problem).

We are also constantly tempted to do stuff, that sort of sabotages our efforts, it is simply so attractive, and easy. It is often a bigger victory to avoid eating out for a week, than to do all three planned sport activities. Or to not buy any new books, even if you don't manage to finish reading any already owned one. And there are many other examples.

That's why I find there to be a huge gap on the "challenge market", as all of our challenges are focused on what to do. None on what not to do. All encourage us to do more of something good, as if not doing something "bad" was an automatic side effect. As if the bad habits weren't one of the key obstacles between us and success.

I would like to start a new challenge. I am still thinking of the best way to keep track and show it in a meaningful way. This thread is a sort of testing run.

I want a sort of "stay away from this temptation" challenge, and I want every week to count as a victory. I don't want to be discouraged by breaking a streak or something. (That is another problem of the usual good habit supporting challenges, even small failures can be too discouraging from trying again. Nope, the path to victory includes a lot of falling and getting up on your feet).

Contrary to the other challenges, who somewhat overestimate the power of the good activities to push the bad ones out of our daily lives, I believe the opposite could work for some of us better. If we push some of the easy and tempting stuff away, there will be a new empty space, ready to be filled with more meaningful stuff.

These are the rules, if you're interested in joining me:

1. define at most 3 distraction limits that are important to you.
(avoidance of a certain social media, or time limit on some activities you do too much of at the expense of something you need more, limited amount of languages or resources, trying out new websites/apps, buying new language books, etc)

2.join the thread. And report at the end of each week, whether you've managed to do that. Any goal changes are possible only at the beginning of each weak, not in the middle.

3.If you succeed at sticking to a rule for the whole week, it is a victory, congratulations! Be proud! And start a new week. If you failed, the new week is a new opportunity to stay on track.

Let me start:
1.Limit any language learning forums/blogs/vlogs to 20 minutes a day.
2.Learning three languages, not starting or dabbling in any more (until I reach C1 in one of them)
3.Focusing on maximum 5 learning resources total at all times. (so coursebooks/online tools etc, not counting real life use or normal media)

The first incomplete week will end on the 13th of March.
Last edited by Cavesa on Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: A Distraction Limiting Challenge

Postby Cavesa » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:00 pm

Post reserved for keeping track of results.

First idea on how to do it: every participant gets a point (some small picture or icon or something) for every limit respected for a whole week.

The point is not competition or any streak keeping, but easy visualisation of the achievements piling up. If I could have controlled myself several times, I can do it again, can't I? That's the sort of motivation I am looking for.

So, here it goes:

Cavesa:
✅✅
Last edited by Cavesa on Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:42 pm

The first week of this challenge went very well. Two out of three done, the forums limitation is the only failed one. But the other two are helpful!

So, I am now changing 1 to a bit broader version: No more than 2 hours of computer games/forums/news reading/social media. These three activities are too spread in my days, so I will put them together and limit them. Whether I feel more like playing or reading, that is not important. But the overall limit on this entertainment (which also includes doomscrolling) is the key.

It is still a one woman challenge. But who knows, perhaps someone will join. :-D
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:31 am

It's a good challenge, but I'm not going to participate for now.
My distractions are the computer, people, and work.
Or is learning languages my distraction? :lol:

I wish you all the success!
Even If I'm not in, I'm watching and learning.
5 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:57 pm

I think it's a good challenge too and I'm sure you will do well.

I'd like to be less distracted too. My distractions are mostly thoughts I'd like to not have. I'm not at all sure I can limit them. :lol:
4 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:16 pm

4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:48 pm

I do most of my language study on a dedicated tablet not connected to the internet. I only use it for reading, or coursework audio. So, no social media; no websites; nothing but what I'm working with at the time. My problem is being distracted while doing other things that pay me, by checking my curated multi-lingual twitter feed. Or hitting refresh for 502/503 errors on this site.
9 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:19 pm

I've been working on this issue for several months, and now I'm wondering how I might get more specific and measurable about it.

While definitely not ready for full-on detox mode, I've been observing my addictive dopamine-seeking behaviors to see which are least helpful and/or most trimmable.

This past week I've sidestepped the urge doomscroll by working on paper--old school books, notebooks, pens, etc. But I surprised myself by not only successfully keeping any necessary electronics pointed at specific useful things, but wanting to, to preserve that bubble sans internet.

But listing some specific measurable distractions I want to avoid? Excellent idea, but I need to think some more.
5 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:43 pm

tangleweeds wrote:I've been working on this issue for several months, and now I'm wondering how I might get more specific and measurable about it.

While definitely not ready for full-on detox mode, I've been observing my addictive dopamine-seeking behaviors to see which are least helpful and/or most trimmable.

Hm. Now you've got me thinking something like, "no processed foods", or minimizing them. It may seem like a stretch that they're a distraction, but I use them specifically for mind control. :lol: (comfort food).
0 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:20 am

luke wrote:Now you've got me thinking something like, "no processed foods", or minimizing them. It may seem like a stretch that they're a distraction, but I use them specifically for mind control. :lol: (comfort food).

I actually had "avoid blood sugar crashes" in my initial brain dump because I frequently forget to eat, but then I took it out again because I felt a similar unease. But think about it, how could food be extraneous, when keeping the body running happily makes it more generous about sharing resources to let the forebrain do some heavy metabolism.

Forgetting to eat means I frequently run out of reasonable fuel without adequate preparation to magic up more in time to maintain stable happy blood sugar. So I eat something unreasonable instead, bopping my blood sugar in the opposite direction (on adventures of varying duration), but in the end, the crashes look the same. I'll be circling the same drain, wandering the house like a Roomba bouncing off of everything until I get captured by crafty furniture, hypnotized by enticing electronics, and run out my batteries there.

Isn't that the epitome of 21st-century distraction?
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Return to “Language Challenges”