TAC sign-up

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: TAC sign-up

Postby Teango » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:56 am

Thanks so much for taking this on, Brun Ugle. I couldn't be in more agreement with gsbod's sentiments...it simply wouldn't feel right without the excited rush of the TAC to galvanize the forum in the remaining days of the old year, and encourage members to forge new goals, friendships, and dashing resolutions to break through into a promising new year. I'd send you multiple Lebkuchen hearts and a complementary icon of Glühwein, if the forum interface allowed me...merci beaucoup! :)

As a member of Team Rare in the 2015 TAC, Hawaiian was my major study language on the list. I think I made relatively good progress in Hawaiian, rising from a pasty A1 to a more more bronzed B1 by the end. I also managed to squeeze some Russian and German in there for good measure and make some solid gains, racking up over 750 hours of language study throughout the year across all languages (a new record for me!) Despite life's interruptions and the breakdown of the old HTLAL, being a part of the TAC helped me hold this all together throughout the year and reach (or at least make headway towards) these goals.

Next year, I'll be focussing on French, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be enough of us here interested in improving our French to make up a French TAC team for 2016. Perhaps our current French group "Les Voyageurs" could serve as a central meeting place for members who are also interested in taking part in the TAC? As tomgosse suggests, we have pretty much the same goals of learning French and developing listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in mind.

Once again, it's great to see that the TAC is alive for next year, and I wish everyone who takes part the very best of luck in reaching their goals and helping each other stay on track. Bonne chance!
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:37 pm

I updated the first post a little, but we still don't have much in the way of teams. If you want to start a team, don't be shy. And if you want a look at a good team thread, see Les Voyageurs. I got a sudden urge to learn French when I saw it.

@tomgosse, I didn't add all the people on the Les Voyageurs team to my list because I wasn't sure who might want to participate in TAC and who wouldn't, but I'll add them all if you tell me to.
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I updated the first post a little, but we still don't have much in the way of teams. If you want to start a team, don't be shy. And if you want a look at a good team thread, see Les Voyageurs. I got a sudden urge to learn French when I saw it.

Thank you for your compliment ! Learn French! Learn French! Learn French! :lol:
@tomgosse, I didn't add all the people on the Les Voyageurs team to my list because I wasn't sure who might want to participate in TAC and who wouldn't, but I'll add them all if you tell me to.

I posted a message on Les Voyageurs for members to tell me or you if they want to participate TAC. Thanks again for starting this.
4 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:35 pm

tomgosse wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I updated the first post a little, but we still don't have much in the way of teams. If you want to start a team, don't be shy. And if you want a look at a good team thread, see Les Voyageurs. I got a sudden urge to learn French when I saw it.

Thank you for your compliment ! Learn French! Learn French! Learn French! :lol:

I'm thinking about it, but it probably won't be for another year or so as I've nearly bitten off more than I can chew already for this year. I'm getting rather hooked on Assimil though, so knowing French would come in handy if I want to use it for other languages. There are a lot more languages available for French speakers. Besides, it would probably please my great-niece who is crazy about France and French.
1 x

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:27 pm

I'd love to join the East Asian team with Mandarin, as well as working on German/French throughout the year. :D Thanks for organising this!
1 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:51 pm

I'll join East Asian team with Japanese. Hoping the New year will give me the boost I need to get into reading more. :3 As the East Asian team post been made yet?
2 x
Gone

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:44 pm

I'm in with French (another voyageur reporting in) and German (I really need to improve my active skills this year).

I'll be studying Spanish and Japanese as much as before (at least for the first half of 2016) and Dutch as well, but more than two teams would be a bit too much, wouldn't it? (I'm considering joining a Dutch team though...)
1 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Postby Jimjam » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:47 am

I'll sign up for japanese. I am in the process of applying for a year exchange to Japan from september so this will be a big year for my Japanese as i will also be going into 3rd year university level and the possibility of studying abroad.
So sign me up for the east asian group.
Last edited by Jimjam on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:50 am

It may have started as a joke, but I'd love to join a Team Wanderlust. Given the fun I'm having mixing things up, I don't feel I can commit to exclusively annihilating any particular one of my languages this year. I still feel the allure of Norwegian, plus I really should bring back my Japanese, considering that my brother has lived there for decades...

Anyone else out there having trouble committing to specific languages this year? Can the indecisive get it together to form a group?
7 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:27 am

Definitely planning to work on both Russian and Hebrew again this year. It looks like we may again have enough interest for a small but hardy and intrepid Russian team?
3 x

Return to “Language Challenges”