6WC 6 Week Challenge - 2022

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - 2022

Postby smallwhite » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:55 am

Cavesa wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
cito wrote:Maybe...

... extensive reading or listening
... more intensive activities and coursebooks

... encourage language hopping. The only way to participate regularly would basically be learning more and more languages

Sorry missed these points.

> ... extensive reading or listening
> ... more intensive activities and coursebooks

My reasoning is not about activities, only about level - I'd just like to see the B1 limit respected.

> ... encourage language hopping. The only way to participate regularly would basically be learning more and more languages

Another way to participate regularly is to create another challenge that one can participate regularly.

Abled folks just shouldn't do Paralympics.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N) //
FR LT ES
OE EL RU
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:53 am

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I really appreciate everybody's advice! I participated in the 6WC back in August 2020 and it definitely bumped my French, so I'm excited to do it again, but I'll just put Russian as my target and log my French reading through it as well. Still hoping to finish some of these books in November (I'm 10/15 for my 2022 goal).

Thanks again!
2 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
LLPSI-FA: 33 / 35
Greek ASSIMIL: 29 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

Sprachprofi
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Esperanto (C2), French (C2), Modern Greek (C2), Latin (teaching), Chinese (rusty C1), Italian (rusty C1), Dutch (B2), Spanish (B2), Serbocroatian (B1/B2), very rusty Japanese, Swahili, Indonesian, Hebrew, Arabic...

Postby Sprachprofi » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:08 pm

Glad to do this 6 Week Challenge with you guys!

I've put Russian as my target language. Actually my heart is beating for Serbo-Croatian and Chinese, but I am going to read books and watch Youtube in these languages, so they are too advanced to have as 6WC target languages. My Russian is still very basic.
3 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:03 pm

I'd faded away, but I'm going to jump back in with German.
2 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:19 pm

So it begins!!!! And it looks great!

The usual suspects are running for the win already, even though I see some not familiar names. More than twenty participants, 13 are already above zero, 12 in the target language (yes, I will first log a non target language too, arizakai :-)

And I also like that we often have two or three participants with the same language. I find it often very motivating to compare myself to others facing the same opponent :-)

smallwhite wrote:Sorry missed these points.

> ... extensive reading or listening
> ... more intensive activities and coursebooks

My reasoning is not about activities, only about level - I'd just like to see the B1 limit respected.

> ... encourage language hopping. The only way to participate regularly would basically be learning more and more languages

Another way to participate regularly is to create another challenge that one can participate regularly.

Abled folks just shouldn't do Paralympics.

My reasoning is that:
1.The activities affect the fairness of this friendly competition much more than the level. It is not more or less difficult to do a B2 textbook unit for a B2 learner than an A2 textbook unit for an A2 learner. But it is definitely much easier to watch tv shows extensively for ten hours than spend ten hours with a grammar workbook, no matter at what level.

2.I don't think the analogy with olympics and paralympics fits at all. We are comparing time spent learning languages, not any kind of "absolute amount" of progress in the language.

3.In theory, I would agree, it would be awesome to have a separate advanced 6wc challenge and leave the original 6WC pure, it would be the best. But I simply don't think it useful to chop the participating community into even smaller pieces, which is the reality of what would happen. Would it still be fun and motivating to have more challenges, but each with just a handful of participants? Having other players in the game is an important part of this, individual challenges are in some ways much tougher (the logs section is filled with examples).
4 x

philomath
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Intermediate/Advanced), French (Intermediate/Advanced), German (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 13#p235313

Postby philomath » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:45 am

Just saw the additions to this thread. For now I will not participate in this month's Six Week Challenge, since I'm above B1 in French. I look forward to participating next time I start a new language!
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:52 am

philomath wrote:Just saw the additions to this thread. For now I will not participate in this month's Six Week Challenge, since I'm above B1 in French. I look forward to participating next time I start a new language!

I am sad to see you leave the challenge. And it is exactly the kind of a thing I was worried about, while reading Smallwhite's post. B1 is not that high as a level, you do a lot of the activities that an A2 would be doing too. The list of participants is shorter. And I will miss you in this challenge, as a very motivating friendly competitor. :-(
2 x

philomath
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Intermediate/Advanced), French (Intermediate/Advanced), German (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 13#p235313

Postby philomath » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:27 am

Cavesa wrote:
philomath wrote:Just saw the additions to this thread. For now I will not participate in this month's Six Week Challenge, since I'm above B1 in French. I look forward to participating next time I start a new language!

I am sad to see you leave the challenge. And it is exactly the kind of a thing I was worried about, while reading Smallwhite's post. B1 is not that high as a level, you do a lot of the activities that an A2 would be doing too. The list of participants is shorter. And I will miss you in this challenge, as a very motivating friendly competitor. :-(

Maybe a good compromise would be to limit the challenge to activities like textbooks, rather than extensive listening and reading?
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:56 am

philomath wrote:Maybe a good compromise would be to limit the challenge to activities like textbooks, rather than extensive listening and reading?

The 6WC originated as an experiment for Absolute Beginners:
Sprachprofi wrote:Here's the idea: everybody will learn a language they haven't studied at all yet for 6 weeks, everybody at the same time. Afterwards, we test our vocabulary, grammar, comprehension etc. to see 1) in which languages were we able to make the most progress and 2) which methods worked out best.

The modified current version
Sprachprofi wrote:... is a challenge to upgrade your language skills in one language from beginner to something more worthwhile...

in a short time, namely the exact opposite of the B2 Plateau where progress is hardly felt in 6 months nevermind 6 weeks, so it's only fair it excludes B2-ers from the Target Score.

Note though, I just admin this thread, I have no authority on the matter.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Sprachprofi
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Esperanto (C2), French (C2), Modern Greek (C2), Latin (teaching), Chinese (rusty C1), Italian (rusty C1), Dutch (B2), Spanish (B2), Serbocroatian (B1/B2), very rusty Japanese, Swahili, Indonesian, Hebrew, Arabic...

Postby Sprachprofi » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:50 pm

Absolutely. For intermediate and advanced learners, the Super Challenge or the Tadoku Challenge are the way to go. I get that the logging for the 6 Week Challenge is cool, so you can sign up with a target language that you don't intend to study (much) and log all your advanced language time, it just won't count towards the target language highscore, which is supposed to be for beginner languages.
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”