6WC 6 Week Challenge - 2022

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - 2022

Postby Cavesa » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:52 pm

Only 3 days till the beginning.... Can't wait!!!!

A question: should we try to get more people in? It started a bit bigger ages ago, but at the cost of many more people signing up and ending with 0. But I think that now, we could profit from some new names on the list. I hope you won't mind, if I invite people on the languagelearning subreddit, perhaps some might like it and find it as useful as we have.
4 x

jackb
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12251

Postby jackb » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:39 pm

I'm going to sign up for my first entry into this challenge. I'm probably a low intermediate in French. I need to get back to some real, consistent study. Hopefully this will help!
1 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:09 pm

I’m in for Norwegian.

I have never actually studied Norwegian, but I am coming to it with an intermediate level in Danish.

I recently started reading my first Norwegian book (Snøsøsteren by Maja Lunde). While it is going OK, I think that six weeks of intense Norwegian is going to be exactly the thing I need to get comfortable reading Norwegian. Excited!
3 x
Corrections are always welcome.

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N) //
FR LT ES
OE EL RU
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:59 pm

Maybe you guys could give me some advice, but would it be appropriate for me to sign up for French? I'm not exactly sure of my level (I was told B2, but I have mixed feelings about that)- but I can read novels, yet not so much literature at this point. You can check out my log to see what I have read so far. Any advice? I'd like to join just to set a goal at reading for 30-50 hours or so in November, and I think the challenge would be a good way to keep myself accountable.
2 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
LLPSI-FA: 33 / 35
Greek ASSIMIL: 29 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:57 pm

cito wrote:Maybe you guys could give me some advice, but would it be appropriate for me to sign up for French? I'm not exactly sure of my level (I was told B2, but I have mixed feelings about that)- but I can read novels, yet not so much literature at this point. You can check out my log to see what I have read so far. Any advice? I'd like to join just to set a goal at reading for 30-50 hours or so in November, and I think the challenge would be a good way to keep myself accountable.

Speaking only for myself, I don’t mind if you sign up for French. But others might mind!

You have other languages. You could choose one of them for your 6WC. Then focus on your Total Score column instead of your Target Score column. I often do this. It looks like alaart has a similar plan this time for Korean / Chinese.

Reading through your log, I think that your French level is too high for the intent of the challenge, which is to move up “from beginner to something more worthwhile.” Based on your log, I have a hard time thinking of you as a beginner by any measure. But, restating my opening sentence, that is not something that bothers me personally.

I do hope that you join the 6WC. The more the merrier!
3 x
Corrections are always welcome.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:28 pm

cito wrote:Maybe you guys could give me some advice, but would it be appropriate for me to sign up for French? I'm not exactly sure of my level (I was told B2, but I have mixed feelings about that)- but I can read novels, yet not so much literature at this point. You can check out my log to see what I have read so far. Any advice? I'd like to join just to set a goal at reading for 30-50 hours or so in November, and I think the challenge would be a good way to keep myself accountable.

The B1 limit is a stretch already (“lower-intermediate at most”). You could be frustrating other participants. You can join reading challenges instead (which they may not be able to join) and you can start your own challenge, too.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:35 pm

Cavesa wrote:Only 3 days till the beginning.... Can't wait!!!!

A question: should we try to get more people in? It started a bit bigger ages ago, but at the cost of many more people signing up and ending with 0. But I think that now, we could profit from some new names on the list. I hope you won't mind, if I invite people on the languagelearning subreddit, perhaps some might like it and find it as useful as we have.

“Reddit” is an existing option of the “origin” field alongside HTLAL, Duolingo, Transparent...
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:50 pm

smallwhite wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Only 3 days till the beginning.... Can't wait!!!!

“Reddit” is an existing option of the “origin” field alongside HTLAL, Duolingo, Transparent...

It is. But the community wasn't really reminded of the existence of the 6WC, so especially the newer members don't know it yet. Perhaps we should reach out also on the other platforms you mention.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:56 pm

smallwhite wrote:

The B1 limit is a stretch already (“lower-intermediate at most”). You could be frustrating other participants. You can join reading challenges instead (which they may not be able to join) and you can start your own challenge, too.

While I definitely see, where you are coming from, I don't think we need to be this categoric. There are already several people that put mostly extensive reading or listening in the bot. And we shouldn't make a false equivalence low levels = the more intensive activities and coursebooks and higher levels=just fun extensive reading and listening. It doesn't work like that.

Also B1 is not that much advanced, many people learn rather intensively at that point too (for example myself), so limiting it to "up to B1" very strictly would just prevent many learners from using a very useful challenge, create more issues with learners that have some skills way above B1 and some bellow, and encourage language hopping. The only way to participate regularly would basically be learning more and more languages, while the community at the same time seems to agree on "learn up to B2 before starting a new one". It simply wouldn't match.

Yes, the rules have good reasons. But I'd say enforcing them in a too narrow way would cause more damage than good

A solution for learners like cito: why don't you use 6WC for something else than just reading? Reading is something you seem to be doing anyways and not really struggling with, and it is well covered by the SC. Perhaps 6WC could be a great opportunity to get through an intermediate coursebook, or do different activities, etc.
4 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:33 am

Cavesa wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
cito wrote:Maybe you...

... limiting it to "up to B1" very strictly would just prevent many learners from using a very useful challenge...

I’d say the 6WC has been a very useful challenge precisely because it is limited to B1 and distinctively so.

Anyone can start another challenge of their choice, eg. one exactly the same as the 6WC but not limited to B1. No need to risk an existing success for self. If enough selfs think otherwise, the selfs can start another challenge of their choice.

And you can always participate offline.

You can create a 6WC+ during the 6 off weeks for advanced/any learners. If these learners like the idea, they would participate, and the 2 challenges will not cross-contaminate.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”