6WC 6 Week Challenge - 2022

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - 2022

Postby CarlyD » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:15 pm

In my knitting group, we are having an 18-month challenge. It's being done in Google Docs, and you go there and click on the month to add your totals.

We could totally do this challenge--for everyone--in Google Docs. Go there, all the A1 people click on the A1 tab and enter their total for the day. The A2 people would click on the next tab and would all be grouped together. We could have tabs all the way up to C2 so everyone on this site could participate--and in more than one. (You might be in A1 for German, B1 for French, etc.)

This could work and would also bring in the people that have stated that they won't use Twitter.

All we need is the interest and someone who knows how to set up Google Docs.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:11 am

Sprachprofi wrote:Absolutely. For intermediate and advanced learners, the Super Challenge or the Tadoku Challenge are the way to go. I get that the logging for the 6 Week Challenge is cool, so you can sign up with a target language that you don't intend to study (much) and log all your advanced language time, it just won't count towards the target language highscore, which is supposed to be for beginner languages.

Firstly, yes, just the general score is a good idea. And sure, it is totally valid to make 6wc just for the low levels again, even if it is at the cost of making it much smaller and discouraging intermediates. But I disagree the intermediate and advanced learners are well covered with the rest.

The way to go only in passive skills, and mostly extensive skills (an intensive reader will have a much harder SC than an extensive reader). There is no challenge of a similar format to 6wc, that would count in various activities, including the active ones, and including the textbooks, grammar, and similar stuff for the intermediate learners (the current widely spread belief that intermediates don't need those at all is one of the biggest problems of today's LL community online).

(Another common argument is also not true at all: that an intermediate or advanced learner cannot see a lot of progress in six weeks, and therefore there is no benefit to such a short challenge. Firstly, B1 and B2 is not a too high level, intensive studying can get you a lot of progress in a few weeks at that point. And even at the advanced level, 6WC can help you move forward, especially in some particular area.)

I tried to do exactly what you suggest, and it wasn't helpful at all (now I am not talking about each individual challenge, I think they are great!). A few years ago, I signed up for SC, some writing challenge, some streak keeping challenge, like four or five challenges to cover more or less the whole spectrum of my learning activities. It was horrible and it didn't work at all. They were all long term challenges, therefore no motivation for intensive studying (the current rythme of 6wc, 6 weeks free, 6wc, is awesome), and it was all extremely fragmented, nothing to really make everything count. A good challenge needs to be easy to keep track of.

CarlyD wrote:In my knitting group, we are having an 18-month challenge. It's being done in Google Docs, and you go there and click on the month to add your totals.

We could totally do this challenge--for everyone--in Google Docs. Go there, all the A1 people click on the A1 tab and enter their total for the day. The A2 people would click on the next tab and would all be grouped together. We could have tabs all the way up to C2 so everyone on this site could participate--and in more than one. (You might be in A1 for German, B1 for French, etc.)

This could work and would also bring in the people that have stated that they won't use Twitter.

All we need is the interest and someone who knows how to set up Google Docs.

I think this is a good proposal, and we should try a sort of Advanced 6WC. If google docs can work, great, it is a very good option. Or if it is just a very small challenge (at least at first), we can even do it in a forum thread, just with one person doing the additions in one post from the individual updates by participants.

I would love a short term B1-C2 challenge of a very similar format to the 6wc, counting the time. And I think we should not count extensive reading and extensive listening, as I totally agree those are very well taken care of in the 6WC and also make sense only in the long run. They also damage the competition.
3 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:37 pm

Cavesa wrote:So it begins!!!! And it looks great!

The usual suspects are running for the win already, even though I see some not familiar names. More than twenty participants, 13 are already above zero, 12 in the target language (yes, I will first log a non target language too, arizakai :-)

And I also like that we often have two or three participants with the same language. I find it often very motivating to compare myself to others facing the same opponent :-)

I really love the 6WC, even when I end up with terrible scores. I just really like the way it is set up, and six weeks is a great interval. I had to laugh at myself a bit when I say your comment about comparing myself to someone with the same target language. I signed up for Norwegian, and there is no way I could ever keep up with Peter M. But that doesn't keep me from enjoying the challenge :)
3 x
Corrections are always welcome.

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:55 pm

Are we doing a 2023 thread or just adding this year's challenge dates onto this one?
3 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Sprachprofi
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Esperanto (C2), French (C2), Modern Greek (C2), Latin (teaching), Chinese (rusty C1), Italian (rusty C1), Dutch (B2), Spanish (B2), Serbocroatian (B1/B2), very rusty Japanese, Swahili, Indonesian, Hebrew, Arabic...

Postby Sprachprofi » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:07 pm

The original 6 Week Challenge is returning in February! Send your email address via private message (not tweet!) to https://twitter.com/6WCBot if you want your 6 Week Challenge account to include the data from your previous challenges. Otherwise you will be able to register a new blank account at https://6wc.learnlangs.com in February.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”