The 2022 Polyglot Fitness Challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Re: The 2022 Polyglot Fitness Challenge

Postby tungemål » Sun May 01, 2022 10:37 am

tractor wrote:Sentrumsløpet, tungemål?

No, a race in Trondheim.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue May 17, 2022 12:52 am

Surprised I didn't post this yesterday! I did manage a new 1RM in overhead (military) press: 125lbs! It went up slow, but it always went up!

Swim season officially started last Saturday. The OW team I swim with held a clinic for new (mostly triathlon) swimmers. The coach/director allowed those of us "in the club" to come early and swim the course. The water was cold, low 60s Fahrenheit, but felt so good to be swimming where I don't have to flip-turn. Awesome. And the regular weekly swims begin on the 29th.

Therefore...I move to 2-a-week weights next week. Still planned for this week is a 1RM attempt in squat. I did 225lbs a couple months ago. Not sure what to try for this time. 240? 235?

In the language journey, BCS going well. Started GLOSS today, at the 1 level in listening. My listening is the worst skill of mine, so thought I'd work on it. In the twice-weekly class I do a bunch of listening with the instructor, but he gives no quarter. The GLOSS cuts are very DLPT-y, so I'll continue them.

Middle Egyptian is so much fun. The moderator for the C&M (Collier & Manley) course I'm in now will have an additional part of the course at the end for those of us who want to participate in the translation section coming up in September. Exciting!
5 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun May 22, 2022 12:39 am

The above I stupidly posted in the 2021 version of this challenge. So I deleted that one and posted it here.

Since the above, I did a 1RM for squat and got 235#. w00t!
4 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Sun May 22, 2022 2:17 pm

IronMike wrote:The above I stupidly posted in the 2021 version of this challenge. So I deleted that one and posted it here.

Since the above, I did a 1RM for squat and got 235#. w00t!

Pretty impressive.
I do squats as part of exercises for runners. I started with no weight at all, but now I do them with 2x 6kg weights. It's enough for me.

Imperial units rant:
235lbs, that's probably around 17 stones? or 60160 drachms? Impressive. My 12 kgs, which probably equals around 9.3 gallons, sounds like nothing in comparison. But I'm only training for running 10k (about 4.2 pints) and 5k (around 17 ounces+2 furlongs). And I'm aiming to read 200 pages (which would equal to around 3lbs and two chains).
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:21 pm

Last Friday (27th) I pulled my back. Not by doing anything, I just think my back had had enough. I woke up and could barely get out of bed (our bed is on the floor, so squat first thing in the morning). I couldn't bend over. It was really painful.

I had intended on lifting that morning, and of course that was off. All weekend I walked like an old(er) man, and didn't lift anything, didn't even walk the dog. Which sucked because Sunday was when the local open water club started up the swims in National Harbor. I did, however, walk with my wife while she walked the dog, much to her chagrin since I was walking so slowly (and she's a fast walker, anyway).

Around Tuesday I started to feel better. Not to lift, or even to swim, but pretty good. Yesterday (Thursday) felt really good and took my swim stuff to work, intent on joining the swimmers in Nat'l Harbor. Around noon I decided I wouldn't swim as my back was getting "tired," felt like it needed more rest. Mother Nature made my decision moot as thunderstorms canceled the swims.

I have a race at National Harbor Sunday morning, roughly 2.5 miles. What could go wrong?

Will probably start back with light lifting on Monday.
5 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:32 pm

I hereby sign up (hey, there's still half a year to go)!

My language challenge is to keep working on Hebrew. I think I have a good chance of reaching an intermediate level by the end of the year if I can keep up my momentum.

My fitness challenge is to run 2-3 times a week and doing some light calisthenics followed by a cooldown stretch on run days. I kicked things off this morning by going on a short but brisk run (a bit under a mile) and doing 10 squats, pushups, and situps followed by my usual stretches. Hopefully I can keep it going!
5 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:10 am

Welcome, Deinonysus!
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:56 pm

I haven't forgotten about this :-)

Cavesa wrote: So, the goal is to get to 62 kg, which is approximately in the middle of the healthy range for me, and I used to feel pretty at that weight.

At 64 right now! Close to the goal, but the last few kg tend to be the hardest for me.

How to: get eating under control (stress eating etc),

Partially done. It is nice to not have time to eat (=eat tons of stuff in between meals etc), it helps. But it is hard to keep myself away from any unhealthy food in the workplace. Sometimes I can't resist a bit of chocolate, when I am getting really tired and dumb in the middle of a long day. It all needs to be balanced. But given how much harder some of the practical aspects of eating well are, with my new job, I am doing quite well.

So, longer walks three times a week from the next weekend (after an exam), and hopefully something else, like swimming. But the faster longer walks are the key.

Ouch, this is a failure for now. I have quite an active job now, but still should do more sport(ish) activities.

Language challenge:
B2 German certificate
B2 or C1 Italian certificate
and B2 or C1 Spanish certificate.

Why? Because I need them, I write and send lots of CVs and will keep doing that in the years to come even if everything goes the best way possible. I need the official papers. And especially the German one is crutial. And I am fed up with myself not really getting the skills to the "finish line" then letting them rust, then derusting, rinse and repeat.

B2 German: Check, now the problem is exactly letting it rust :-D
Italian C1 planned.
3 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:08 pm

Ug_Caveman wrote:Language
- Complete Hugo: Dutch in 3 Months, Teach Yourself Dutch, Linguaphone Dutch and at least one advanced Dutch course (Hugo/Colloquial)
- Watch at least 15 minutes of Dutch YouTube content per day with Dutch subtitles
- Read at least 15 minutes of Dutch per day
- Route learn 10 new Dutch words per day

Almost at the end of Dutch in 3 months, keeping up with my Youtube input. Just need to improve my work on route learning and reading.

Ug_Caveman wrote:Fitness
- Drop bodyweight to 110kg maximum by the end of the year
- Improve hang power snatch to 90kg (all time 1RM of 85kg and currently putting up 62.5kg to 65kg)
- Improve squat to 172.5kg or more (all time 1RM of 170kg and currently putting up 140kg on a good day)
- Maintain bench press of 130kg

Bodyweight currently at 117kg, bench 130kg, squat around 150kg (although I've improved my depth quite a bit.) Currently not training snatch. Am focusing on reaching squat goal (working on building up volume for a few months before testing maxes closer to the end of year) and rebuilding overhead press strength to 70kg x 5 (currently at 62.5kg x 5 on a good day.)

I'd be satisfied with a bodyweight of 114kg by the end of the year, but the lower the better (I've managed to really get my diet under control recently so this isn't too difficult.)

(Have also recently started playing bass guitar again, so I'm adding myself a music target of passing my entry grade music exam... Which I should have done about 14 odd years ago when I first picked one up.)
3 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:38 pm

Ug_Caveman wrote:Language
- Complete Hugo: Dutch in 3 Months, Teach Yourself Dutch, Linguaphone Dutch and at least one advanced Dutch course (Hugo/Colloquial)

Hugo completed, Linguaphone apporixmately 1/4 of the way done. Feel well on track to pass B1.

Ug_Caveman wrote:Fitness
- Drop bodyweight to 110kg maximum by the end of the year
- Improve squat to 172.5kg or more (all time 1RM of 170kg and currently putting up 140kg on a good day)

- Maintain bench press of 130kg

Bodyweight holding on at around 117kg, but I'm not too worried about that right now. Would estimate current squat 1RM at 160kg based off volume work but not looking to peak right now. Bench press comfortably above 130kg for the time being.
2 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Return to “Language Challenges”