TAC 2016 ?

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)

TAC or no TAC?

I'm in! (with or without changes to it)
52%
I don't really mind but if there's one, I'll take part
27%
I don't want anything like a TAC happening for 2016
6%
I want language teams created but no proper TAC
15%

Total votes: 33

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: TAC 2016 ?

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:29 am

Hi, everyone! I'm very sorry. I know I said I was willing to organize the TAC, but due to some recent developments in my life, I've decide that it probably would be best for me not to take on any more responsibilities right now. At first, I thought I would do it anyway because it is good fun, but last night, I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a good idea, especially if it takes off like in earlier years. Right now, with so few showing interest, it would be an easy job, but it might become a little more hectic towards the end of the month. Anyway, is there anyone else who could do it?
2 x

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm in for an East Asian team this year. I haven't maintained the team last year very well, I'm guilty of that, for various reasons, and I'm sorry if I have let anyone down. But I hate to see TAC disappear altogether, it what's made me join HTLAL in the first place, and it's also what made language learning a consistent part of my life, and not just a fleeting wanderlust, as it has always been. I would love to join a team, and have another go at TAC this year. May be we could keep the TAC, but have the signup/drop out window open through out the year? Maybe we could have individual language threads (Japanese, German, Korean, etc), or maybe two, instead of a whole region? I admit that, because I'm not very knowledgeable about Mandarin and Korean, that it was a challenge keeping the team thread open to all and not unconsciously defaulting to Japanese all the time. It was stressful, and I found myself more often than not avoiding posting because I really didn't know what to say, in addition to life getting in the way as the main factor of my sporadic and limited posting. Or we can keep it to an entire region, but have someone who's an experienced learner of most of the region's languages as the team leader. I think capping it at just one or two languages will limit the number of members per team and thus teams could be more manageable. It could also help learners interested in specific languages find it easy to visit the individual teams/groups and find what they want, be it resources or study methods, or just buddies sharing their interests in the same language/culture. Expugnator (love your log, btw!), I believe, has wanted a team for Mandarin last year, and I share his sentiments completely. It can be rough fishing through the various logs and posts to find one that pertains to your language of interest. I tried listing the logs and resources in different posts concerning each language, but that was a bit tough to maintain. You have to cast your net wide for that.

However, if the TAC goes away, I'll still maintain an individual log and keep following others with interest; I may also join a language study group or a buddy group like the one Cavesa suggested in the other thread discussing the future of TAC.

I still think it would be nice to have one more go at it this year and see how that works out.

Another thought, maybe having two organizers for the TAC could take the stress off only one (thanks, Brun, for taking this up initially)? Just a thought. Maybe for TAC this year we could also skip having team leaders, and rather, a collaborative team thread with everyone pitching in and posting their ideas. Something like a team page where everyone can edit their own posts, add suggestions/resources, etc.? Is that possible? Or maybe making this more complicated could actually deter people from anything to do with TAC.

I'll still participate, log, and visit regardless of how this turns out :)
4 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 pm

Woodsei wrote:But I hate to see TAC disappear altogether, it what's made me join HTLAL in the first place, and it's also what made language learning a consistent part of my life, and not just a fleeting wanderlust, as it has always been. I would love to join a team, and have another go at TAC this year.

Me too!! Initially an unregistered long-time lurker, my first ever post on HTLAL was to introduce myself and start a personal language log for the 2010 TAC, followed by joining forces with my excellent comrades in Team K that year (Aloysius, M. Medialis, and Papillon). I was quite apprehensive at first, having little experience of online forums in general, but joining the TAC and getting support from other members in my team helped allay my initial worries, and consequently my participation in and connection to our forum just grew and grew from there. And here I am now 6 years later...not only a supporter of our language learning community and this new offshoot forum, but an instructor and researcher in the field of SLA on the other side of the world, whose part-time hobby and initial rambling interests in language learning grew into a new full-time career. I really hope someone will be able to pick up the gauntlet this year and continue the team TAC tradition, whatever form it may eventually take here.
8 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:21 am

Teango wrote: an instructor and researcher in the field of SLA on the other side of the world
I'm guessing you don't mean Service Level Agreements, which is the only SLA I am familiar with?
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:17 pm

rdearman wrote:
Teango wrote: an instructor and researcher in the field of SLA on the other side of the world
I'm guessing you don't mean Service Level Agreements, which is the only SLA I am familiar with?

I believe this would be Second Language Acquisition ;)
3 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

Nandemonai
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch/Flemish (N), English (fluent), Japanese (fluent)
Actively studying: Mandarin (intermediate), German (beginner)
On break: Korean (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1684

Postby Nandemonai » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:37 am

I haven't really posted here or on the old HTLAL since about a year ago due to real life taking priority. Now that things have settled down I would like to join the TAC if there is one next year.

Last school year I have been studying Mandarin in evening school in preparation for my semester in Hangzhou, but plans changed and I ended up in Seoul, South-Korea. I have put Mandarin aside for the time being as I couldn't focus on three languages at once. I'd love to join if there's a team for Japanese/Korean/Mandarin.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”