Output Challenge 2016 Registration Thread

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Output Challenge 2016 Registration Thread

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 am

Komma wrote:I've never done much output, so it might be a good time to start. Since it is just the beginning of the year, there is still plenty of time to get it done.

LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: Writing only

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: A2/B1 (I'm not quite sure. I 'should' be at B1, but that's mostly passive knowledge)

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes (native language: German)

COMMENTS: Question: Is is possible to switch to the full challenge later? I've never recorded myself and am not sure whether my equipment is sufficient and whether I am comfortable doing this, so I want to start with writing only and maybe still join the audio later if that is possible.

Yes that is possible.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jennybenny25
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), BSL (Lvl2), French (Beginner A1), Spanish (Beginner), Turkish (Beginner), Japanese (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1743&p=17622#p17586

Postby jennybenny25 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Hello!

I would like to join :)

LANGUAGE: French

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: Beginner A1

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes in English please

COMMENTS: 1st time doing this challenge :) also learning BSL and will be dabbling in spanish so hopefully will be able to complete this challenge!

xx
1 x
SpanishDuolingo: 20 / 64

SC Films: 1 / 50

SC Books: 0 / 50

Outputchallenge: 220 / 50000

FirstSpanishReader: 5 / 29

CoffeeBreakSpanishSeason1: 10 / 40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FirstFrenchReader: 15 / 29

Writing: 243 / 1000

FrenchDuolingo: 29 / 78

CoffeeBreakFrenchSeason1: 15 / 40

LiveFrench: 2 / 25

IchBinEinPoly
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (N), Spanish (was C1 but slightly rusty), French (A2), Chinese (A2 oral, but effectively illiterate), Hindi (bits and pieces, comprehension is very good but production is basic)

Postby IchBinEinPoly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:31 am

LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE: Full Challenge

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: Probably used to be a C1 active and a C2 passive but realistically at this point B2 active/C1 passive due to rust.

Trying to get that up to at least C1/C2 by the end of the year, although realistically I think I could try for C2/C2. My Spanish is coming back in leaps and bounds.

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes, English
0 x
PLEASE correct me if I make a mistake when writing in a non-native language. Thank you in advance.

IchBinEinPoly
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (N), Spanish (was C1 but slightly rusty), French (A2), Chinese (A2 oral, but effectively illiterate), Hindi (bits and pieces, comprehension is very good but production is basic)

Postby IchBinEinPoly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:32 am

tomgosse wrote:Fifty thousand words in a year is about 137 words per day. I couldn't write that much in my native English.

You don't think you write that much on this site alone in English?
1 x
PLEASE correct me if I make a mistake when writing in a non-native language. Thank you in advance.

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:14 am

I've changed my mind about doing an audio only Output Challenge for Russian this year, as I chat with my wife in short episodes of Russian many times throughout the day, and recording conversations and logging times just feels very unnatural and forced. I'd like to change over to a written only challenge in French, however my goal is much lower (i.e., 10,000 words by the end of the year), so I guess I won't be able to qualify for this particular challenge either.

All the same, I'll try to write a little bit in French several times a week in the spirit of encouraging more regular production in my main study language, which I think is an excellent idea overall. The hope of amassing 50,000 words by the end of the year feels about as realistic to me at the moment, and at my current level, as that of an ant at base camp staring up through the cloud garlanded peak of Kilimanjaro, bearing several big leaves on his back and nursing a crippled antenna. But if I can write a short paragraph 3 days a week on average, and keep this up throughout the year, I think I stand a good chance of reaching my own personal goal of writing 10,000 words by the end of 2016 (which I'll simply add to my ongoing blog).
2 x

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Postby druckfehler » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:51 am

LANGUAGE: Korean

CHALLENGE: Full Speaking, 1/5 Writing (i.e. 10,000 words)

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: B2-ish active (C1 passive)

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: probably not, as I don't have regular internet connection.

COMMENTS: 50,000 words in writing seems far too much as I mostly want to progress in my weaker languages this year. But I realise that I need to do something for my active Korean skillls and this challenge could help immensely in keeping me on track.

For writing, I would like to work through the intermediate and advanced grammar books 'Korean in Use' and write practice sentences for all grammar points. There will probably also be some random diary entries and the end goal is to write essays in the style needed for the Korean proficiency test TOPIK.

For speaking, I'm thinking about interviewing myself. I need a catalogue of questions I can pose and then answer. I think recording this is a great idea. I like the possibility of listening to this later and correcting the mistakes in writing. This might just be the key to realising where exactly my weak points are.
1 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

Paulista
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C1), Italian (B1/2), Spanish (~B1)

Postby Paulista » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:47 am

LANGUAGE: Italian

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: Probably B1 writing (?)

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes, (Brazilian) Portuguese

COMMENTS: 50k?! Oh well, writing is by far my worst skill in Italian, so I should probably give it a shot if I really want to achieve something this year.
1 x
Italian Output Challenge: 603 / 50000

Mooby
Orange Belt
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:45 pm

LANGUAGE: Polish

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: B1+

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes (English)

COMMENTS: 50k is huge, this'll be my biggest language challenge yet, and I'm already a month behind!
2 x

matheusp19

Postby matheusp19 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:00 am

Hi, I would like to join.

LANGUAGE: English

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: B1 actively / B2+ passively

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: No (Sorry, but I'm not good at correcting things)

COMMENTS: This will be a very easy challenge :P
0 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Postby EmmaC02 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:27 pm

LANGUAGE: German

CHALLENGE: Full Challenge

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: A1

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes, English

COMMENTS: I know I'm late to the party, but considering I'll be living in Germany in less than 6 months, I'm pretty motivated! Bring it on.
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”