Output Challenge 2016 Registration Thread

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
haziz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Copyright Question?

Postby haziz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:26 pm

I recorded myself reading the first chapter of a biography of Gabriel Garcia Marquez published by Difusión (aimed at an A2 level in Spanish) but then realized it is copyrighted and therefore I do not feel comfortable posting it.

I guess I would have to dig up either Cervantes, and be in over my head, reading material that is way beyond my comprehension, or else read Horacio Quiroga's Cuentos De La Selva, and even that is a little above my level.

It is humbling when a children's book is once again above your level. :shock:

Any ideas on material, free of copyright, that can be tackled at an A2 Spanish level?
1 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 Platiquemos/FSI
: 0 / 10 Aula internacional Plus 2
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 0 / 6 Difusion graded readers
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Copyright Question?

Postby tomgosse » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:46 pm

haziz wrote:I recorded myself reading the first chapter of a biography of Gabriel Garcia Marquez published by Difusión (aimed at an A2 level in Spanish) but then realized it is copyrighted and therefore I do not feel comfortable posting it.

I am not a lawyer, or copyright expert, but from what I read this may fall under fair use. That is, it is not for profit, or the whole work, and is used for educational purposes. Perhaps the moderators will chime in.
I guess I would have to dig up either Cervantes, and be in over my head, reading material that is way beyond my comprehension, or else read Horacio Quiroga's Cuentos De La Selva, and even that is a little above my level.

Any ideas on material, free of copyright, that can be tackled at an A2 Spanish level?

Try Project Gutenberg.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

haziz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Re: Copyright Question?

Postby haziz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:06 pm

tomgosse wrote:
haziz wrote:................................................

Try Project Gutenberg.

That is why I am considering Horacio Quiroga's Cuentos de la Selva. The author died in 1937 and therefore in most countries his works are now in the public domain, though I did not get them through Project Gutenberg. Cuentos de la Selva, was Quiroga's answer to Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Tales, and was intended for young audiences. Sadly, it is still a little above my level. :oops: I have been tackling it with the help of Lingq, which does allow me to tackle texts above my reading level.
0 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 Platiquemos/FSI
: 0 / 10 Aula internacional Plus 2
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 0 / 6 Difusion graded readers
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Re: Output Challenge 2016 Registration Thread

Postby tomgosse » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:08 pm

I took my own reading of a copyright story down for the time being. If someone wiser than me (like almost everybody else) gives it the okay, I'll repost it.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:11 pm

The original intent of the OC was to output your own constructions, and therefore copyright wasn't a problem. However I did agree that people could do shadowing, or readings but I didn't actually think about the copyright implications. Fair use is applicable in US law, but not all countries, and so Fair use will not save you if the copyright holder takes you to court in their country, which may not have fair use.

Therefore I would advise you not to upload any readings which you feel may get you into trouble with the copyright holder. However creation of your own output, which was the original idea is still the best thing to do, since not only does it help you to learn your TL and to construct dialogue in it, it means you own the copyrights.

If you are going to do readings and upload them, then Project Gutenberg is probably the best bet, or open-sourced, or creative commons works in your TL. For the purposes of this challenge I'll let you count the recordings even though they're not publicly available. :)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Thank you. I just you a PM as you answered this. You must be psychic. :) So, what are tonight's lottery numbers ?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:17 pm

tomgosse wrote:Thank you. I just you a PM as you answered this. You must be psychic. :) So, what are tonight's lottery numbers ?

Why would I tell you that? I'm off to the shop to buy a ticket! :lol:
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jalhaesseo
Languages: English

Postby jalhaesseo » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:03 pm

LANGUAGE: Korean

CHALLENGE: Full Challenge

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: A1

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes, Mandarin (Taiwan)

COMMENTS: I will be visiting Seoul this year and am hoping that by the time I will be able to hold basic conversations with the local people using Korean. I want to push myself to practice speaking more often by joining this challenge.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:21 pm

jalhaesseo wrote:LANGUAGE: Korean

CHALLENGE: Full Challenge

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: A1

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes, Mandarin (Taiwan)

COMMENTS: I will be visiting Seoul this year and am hoping that by the time I will be able to hold basic conversations with the local people using Korean. I want to push myself to practice speaking more often by joining this challenge.

Excellent! Welcome aboard.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:58 am

I've never done much output, so it might be a good time to start. Since it is just the beginning of the year, there is still plenty of time to get it done.

LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: Writing only

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: A2/B1 (I'm not quite sure. I 'should' be at B1, but that's mostly passive knowledge)

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes (native language: German)

COMMENTS: Question: Is is possible to switch to the full challenge later? I've never recorded myself and am not sure whether my equipment is sufficient and whether I am comfortable doing this, so I want to start with writing only and maybe still join the audio later if that is possible.
1 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

Return to “Language Challenges”