Polyglot Fitness Challenge 2021

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
pinkyslippers
Yellow Belt
Languages: English

Re: Polyglot Fitness Challenge 2021

Postby pinkyslippers » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:42 am

Wow, clara, you are doing so well, fantastic job!

I didn’t quite meet my active minutes goal this month but wasn’t too far off. For February my goal is 660+ active minutes.

I’m doing better with the novels: 3 in Spanish and 2 in French this month.

Hope everyone else is doing well, I have been reading your logs, very inspirational!
2 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (intermediate), DE (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:29 pm

Long Post Warning

I am in (again!). Lucky for me, fitness doesn't require originality.

I was plenty active in January, but my mind took the better part of the month to accept the notion that a new year and a new physical challenge is in order.

I like the way clara formulated flexible goals so much that I plan to follow the general format, which seems ideal. Like last year, my exercise goals need to integrate directly with language learning. In 2021 specifically, I want the freedom to incorporate plenty of intensive language learning without the detriments that stem from inactivity and too much desk-study.

Burpees (new habit and my main February challenge)
I plan to counterbalance all that sedentary time with short, but effective activities that serve as immediate and regular breaks from intense work/learning. What has held me back from intensive work in the past really amounts to me not wanting to sacrifice physical fitness (even a little). To that end, for February I will aim to do 1000 burpees. I have had a consistency problem with burpees in both 2019 and 2020. I might be able to overshoot the 1000 mark as long as illness and injury don't intervene (always a caveat those two). Should needs dictate, I can alter the plan. As background, I am coming off nearly a month of hiking in Colorado, so I need something that will maintain a portion of that cardio capacity even with less-than-ideal flatland terrain (Houston, TX).

Stairs Training (existing habit-maintenance only)
As a general staple, I will maintain a long-standing habit of stair training (3-4 years now, hands-down the best cardio exercise I have ever done). I work in a 10-story building that I still have access to and feel comfortable doing stairs there at least on weekends when no-one is around but would prefer to do that only a few times per week rather than daily.

Vitality Challenge (existing habit-yearly participation)
As I have in previous years, I joined the annual corporate Vitality workout challenge this February, which I think will end up being mostly a step challenge that I suspect will amount to doing about 15k steps per day for a good portion of the month. The outdoor weather here in Houston for February tends to alternate between the usual muggy-hot and something much nicer, so I hope to do simple outdoor slow-jogging for most of that challenge. That doesn't do much of anything for cardio, but boosts mood substantially and gives direct time for language learning. Last year, I determined 20k steps per day really felt like far more than needed and even cut into my both my work and my other (more helpful) physical workouts, so I suspect 15k will be much closer to an ideal balance implemented as a short-term sprint-style initiative.

January 2021 Update
Hiking like I did in Dec 2020 and early Jan 2021 tends to boost cardio in dramatic fashion, but it always leaves me pretty weak with respect to limit strength. Thus as a January activity recap, I spent time reacquiring basic deadlift and pressing strength. The deadlifting strength comes in handy anytime I need to move really anything (including myself) and, at least subjectively, I feel much less injury-prone. Stairs training accomplishes the same feat with respect to leg strength and stability for me, leading to more of a whole-body effect. My pressing ability is terminally weak but is at least back in form. I made good deadlift progress in January that I am now happy to simply maintain.

Grammar (not started and not planned, but noted here anyway)
Language-wise, German grammar is at least on my radar, but I definitely don't have a habit built for it, so I won't try pushing that into a German language mix that already involves quite a few activities (each rotated however I want at the moment). I did see Cèid Donn's conjugation plan, so it at least sparks a few ideas on my end, but not enough for me to try implementing something.

Tracking
Also in January, I tracked most of what I did with great results (results that I can attribute to tracking specifically), so it won't be hard to also add the burpee tracking to my existing spreadsheet(s). I don't know if it really amounts to a 10% boost or more, but whatever the exact figure, it is high and noticeable.

Diet (new challenge but low-effort)
Diet-wise my hope is to never step toe inside a grocery store until COVID is under control. For me, that is a new challenge made possible by home-delivery and Amazon. To accomplish this, I plan to rely on Amazon Fresh. Since they acquired Wholefoods, I know what I order will be healthy and I am not tempted by what I can't smell. It also seems to be cheaper for me since they offer free delivery at low dollar thresholds.
4 x

pinkyslippers
Yellow Belt

Postby pinkyslippers » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:43 pm

I’m so happy you’ve joined us! 1000 burpees - I am in awe :o

I’m looking forward to keeping up with your log and your updates :)
2 x

clara
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16333

Postby clara » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:57 pm

coldrainwater wrote:The deadlifting strength comes in handy anytime I need to move really anything (including myself) and, at least subjectively, I feel much less injury-prone.

You have a very different relationship with deadlifting than I do. I enjoy them, but I feel absolutely wrecked and have trouble tying my shoe laces afterwards, let alone picking anything up off the floor. :lol:

Welcome to the challenge!
3 x
: 100 / 100 SC 2020/1 Films - Double
: 100 / 100 SC 2020/1 Books
: 151 / 365 365 Day Challenge 2021

clara
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16333

Postby clara » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:00 pm

pinkyslippers wrote:Wow, clara, you are doing so well, fantastic job!

I didn’t quite meet my active minutes goal this month but wasn’t too far off. For February my goal is 660+ active minutes.

I’m doing better with the novels: 3 in Spanish and 2 in French this month.

Hope everyone else is doing well, I have been reading your logs, very inspirational!

Wow, 5 novels sounds impressive to me! I hope to increase my Spanish reading speed to a point where I can comfortably read a book a week.
1 x
: 100 / 100 SC 2020/1 Films - Double
: 100 / 100 SC 2020/1 Books
: 151 / 365 365 Day Challenge 2021

Mista
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:21 am

I just finished the 3-week period I signed up for.

Fitness: I didn't quite make that activity goal every day, but I did on some days, and was just a little bit short on the others. My weekly averages were 94% - 97% - 94%. I'm quite happy with that. Also - it was ENOUGH: My goal was to lose 2 kg, and I lost 2.1.

Language: My goal was to increase my average daily listening time for the Super Challenge through my daily walks. At the end of December, it was 42 minutes, and now, at the end of January, it is 59 minutes. That's the average for the whole period starting in May, so it means I've been listening for much more than an hour every day to get there (but I don't have the numbers for January separately).

I'm feeling good about this, so I'd like to try to do exactly the same thing for the next three weeks. But I also want to add a small additional challenge: I need to get started with strength again, and gyms are still closed. So to make a small start, I set myself the following challenge for the next three weeks: Every day, do at least ten repetitions of at least one strength exercise. Language learning aspect: count the repetitions in Arabic (I've learned to count to ten in Arabic, but I could definitely learn it better).
3 x

pinkyslippers
Yellow Belt

Postby pinkyslippers » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:25 am

I love the idea of counting reps in your target language! Good luck with your February goals :)
0 x

Kaha
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Spanish, Norwegian
Learning Chinese

Postby Kaha » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:15 pm

I didn't meet the fitness goals I set a month ago completely but I'm still satisfied with my progress. I had to skip 2 days altogether and did not manage the 15 minutes for stretching on most days. But I did stretch much more than usual and I can see progress with several poses/exercises. I worked out for 20 minutes on average but I didn't restrict myself to the daily challenges from Darebee. There was too much jumping involved and I don't want to annoy my neighbours.

Regarding my language goals I could have done more. I did read some stories and learned some dozen Hanzi but I'm not too impressed with my own effort regarding this challenge.

For February I'll adjust my goals a bit.
Stretch every day and work on 2 poses: butterfly and forward fold. I'd love to be able to put my knees on the ground in butterfly pose but this won't happen in February. I should at least be able to see some improvements at the end of the month. In forward fold I can touch my toes with my knuckles. So that's my starting point. We'll see how far I can get.
For strength I've chosen some 30-day challenges and I simply intend to do all of them every day and an extra workout if possible.

My goal for Heisig is finishing chapter 16 and for DuChinese it's simply reading one story per day.
3 x

pinkyslippers
Yellow Belt

Postby pinkyslippers » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 pm

I hope you have a very flexible February! :D
0 x

alaart
Orange Belt
Languages: DE (N)
EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A1: ES, KR
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:46 am

So my goal was to exercise 3 times, and learn Korean 3 times per week.

Month 1:
Week1: KR 1x SP 2x
Week2: KR 4x SP 3x
Week3: KR 3x, SP 2x
Week4: KR 2x, SP 4x

Each unit was something between 60-90 minutes.

So I didn't really meet my goal all the time, but it was close enough, it's a start.
5 x

Return to “Language Challenges”