Polyglot Fitness Challenge 2021

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Re: Polyglot Fitness Challenge 2021

Postby Caromarlyse » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:29 pm

jmar257 wrote:Sorry to hear that, shoulders can be a tough one to fix. You'd have fewer short term problems on the sofa...but your body will wear down that way too. I'd rather be creaky and sore when I'm old because I did things, personally. With zero knowledge on your shoulder issues, I have to ask do you do face pulls/band pull-aparts? Those are solid for some shoulder problems and in general are good to do to strengthen the rear delt and balance the shoulder girdle.

Thanks for reading my rant! It turns out it's a sprained supraspinatus but not too serious; a week's rest should do it. I've got some strengthening exercises from the physio to target this muscle that I can do in the meantime. I already knew I had imbalance issues with a tendency for the area round the top of my shoulders/neck to take all the weight rather than it being spread across the back, so this is just something else to work on.
3 x

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)

Postby Caromarlyse » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:44 pm

I've successfully completed the fitness part of my challenge: I did the sports competition I was aiming for, and came fifth :-). Good experience, though I am feeling slightly broken right now... Now just to complete the polyglot part of the challenge and master Russian pronunciation ;-)
6 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:I've successfully completed the fitness part of my challenge: I did the sports competition I was aiming for, and came fifth :-). Good experience, though I am feeling slightly broken right now... Now just to complete the polyglot part of the challenge and master Russian pronunciation ;-)

Поздравляю!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:02 pm

Relooking at my updated goals...

Fitness goals:
F1) 1RM deadlift of 325lbs (no change)
F2) 1RM strict military press of 125lbs (no change)
F3) Log 300 miles of swimming in 2021. (I'm at only 133.8 miles so far...gotta pick it up.)

Language goals:
L1) 1/1 on Swahili DLPT
L2) Finish all lessons in Complete Old English

I can say unequivocally that I won't make F3. Haven't swum in over a month; just haven't had it in me. Only at like 150-ish miles now anyway. F1 and F2 are still possible.

Language-wise, I didn't/won't take the Swahili DLPT, so that's a bust. As for the Old English lessons: I'm on unit 9 and there's 24 in the book. Might be able to get close. We'll see.

How is everyone else's polyglot fitness challenge going?
6 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:20 pm

IronMike wrote:How is everyone else's polyglot fitness challenge going?

Well I passed my CNaVT A2 exam, so that target has been reevaluated to B1 - although I think I need to kick myself up the bum and do a bit more work for it (although finding time is proving tricky between teaching, studying and training.)

Since I last looked at my targets I had some unexpected opportunities to compete in my sport so cut my weight loss goals for a short while. Put a 135kg bench press and 150kg squat in the gym recently (BW hovering at 119kg.) I sadly injured my left wrist doing a power clean, so have cut cleans and front squats from my training for the time being (a shame because they were making a real difference to my athletic ability.)

By February I'd like to bench press 140kg again and back squat 160kg, but I'd like to do that at a BW of 115kg or lower.
6 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:25 pm

Decent, I wouldn't say I've totally stalled on the weight loss front but it's a lot slower because I've been getting more lax with my diet. I've been around 255lbs. However, my cardio has been improved and my BJJ game has been better; not only was I promoted to blue belt, I've been getting way more taps than I used to and on stuff I normally don't get (or even try). Things haven't been so good on the lifting front--I've been busy most weekends so getting in even once is a win. I'm not necessarily getting weaker, just barely maintaining. Luckily, strength comes back quickly. I also had someone at BJJ tell me I had tree trunk legs the other day, which makes me feel better about my garbage squat. Also, while not a stated goal, my 2 mile time has been dropping, which is nice.

On the language front, it might be a struggle to finish my SC in Spanish/half SC in French, but I'll be close. I'm gonna try to at least fully complete the Spanish one and I'll end up in the 90% completion range for both anyway. I've definitely noticed the benefits from doing this challenge, particularly the massive reading input and have noticed TV does more for me than podcasts at this stage in the game. I think because it tends to be more conversational stuff so it fills in gaps I don't already have filled in, vs. longer form, more polished podcasts (will expand on this either in the SC thread or my neglected log at some point). German has not been going great because I've been slacking on Assimil, but I'm mid-move and have been otherwise occupied with life stuff a lot lately so I'm cutting myself a little slack while still being disappointed.
4 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Caromarlyse
Green Belt

Postby Caromarlyse » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:42 am

I had somewhat fuzzy goals so my evaluation is a bit fuzzy too :? - I'll learn for next time...

The main fitness goal of competing has, as I've mentioned, been met. Since then I've kept up the training and recovery schedule. I've tried cupping as a massage technique, and I think it might work well for me and my horribly knotted muscles. On the training front, I've made huge strides post-competition (great peaking!). There is another competition next March, but it's not a discipline I'm particularly keen on, and for the moment I'm enjoying making gains without any pressure.

The Russian pronunciation goal is still a work in progress. I did finish all of the course I had to work through, but I would benefit from more repetition. I've also introduced shadowing. As mentioned in my log, I really hate it but if it brings improvement, it has to be a good thing. Generally I'm finding I've been correcting my pronunciation of some words I was getting wrong (where I really ought to have known better), but I'm still far from happy with where I'm at. I could do with my sports coach moving over to language training, as he is very good at encouragement when you've put in the work but are still struggling!
4 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:09 pm

IronMike wrote:Relooking at my updated goals...

Fitness goals:
F1) 1RM deadlift of 325lbs (no change)
F2) 1RM strict military press of 125lbs (no change)
F3) Log 300 miles of swimming in 2021. (I'm at only 133.8 miles so far...gotta pick it up.)

Language goals:
L1) 1/1 on Swahili DLPT
L2) Finish all lessons in Complete Old English

I can say unequivocally that I won't make F3. Haven't swum in over a month; just haven't had it in me. Only at like 150-ish miles now anyway. F1 and F2 are still possible.

Language-wise, I didn't/won't take the Swahili DLPT, so that's a bust. As for the Old English lessons: I'm on unit 9 and there's 24 in the book. Might be able to get close. We'll see.

How is everyone else's polyglot fitness challenge going?

Hardy hardy har-har! :lol: What a bust of a year.

F1: nope, not even close. Granted, I haven't tried a 1RM for deadlift and I only just threw it back into my regimen a couple months ago, but the "best" I'd done in 2021 was 5 x 225.
F2: Close, I did a very strict 115lbs, but I'd done that 2 years ago.
F3: Sad. I found a new team around Thanksgiving, but only swam a few times with them. Total miles this year only 146.46 miles and, sadly, I did more than 20% of those miles back in January when I did that 10-hour pool swim (17.3 miles swum) for a total of 36.79 miles for the month.

L1: As discussed, didn't take the Swahili DLPT.
L2: I believe I got to unit 10 or 11 when I switched over to Russian.

How'd your 2021 Polyglot Fitness Challenge go? Also, don't forget to sign up for 2022!
2 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

clara
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16333

Postby clara » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:36 pm

As much as I tried to be flexible with my fitness challenge goals, I feel like I kept getting waylaid. 2021 was the year of health issues for me. I had surgery in March, then had another problem and procedure in November which as botched and redone in December. I had a hard time even walking and focused on upper body exercises which was disappointing. On the plus side, I still managed to average 3 gym sessions per week throughout the year, and I PR'ed my bench press for the first time in since 2019. Spanish studies also went well, though I still have a ways to go.

I hope 2022 is more active than 2021!
5 x
Spanish Goals
22/23 SC Films: 438 / 18000 438 / 18000 minutes
22/23 SC Books: 6454 / 10000 6454 / 10000 pages
2022 Reading: 8061 / 8000 8061 / 10000 8000 pages

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:53 pm

clara wrote:As much as I tried to be flexible with my fitness challenge goals, I feel like I kept getting waylaid. 2021 was the year of health issues for me. I had surgery in March, then had another problem and procedure in November which as botched and redone in December. I had a hard time even walking and focused on upper body exercises which was disappointing. On the plus side, I still managed to average 3 gym sessions per week throughout the year, and I PR'ed my bench press for the first time in since 2019. Spanish studies also went well, though I still have a ways to go.

Congrats! The fact you were able to keep that up even with three medical procedures is incredible. Keep it up!
2 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language Challenges”