Polyglot Fitness Challenge 2021

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: Polyglot Fitness Challenge 2021

Postby Mista » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:11 pm

I have been struggling to keep up since September. I did very well at my 10K, with 1:03:31, but after that, I found it difficult to keep activity up. Partly, Corona did me a strange turn: the University did a manouvre which made me end up with classes until 6 PM, which made it very difficult to do what I had been doing more than anything until then: orienteering. In May it would have worked, since this is Norway, after all, and the sun is up until 11 PM even here in the south, but by September, I would have to drop dinner to make it. In October and November, I got support from a challenge my gym had, where you had to show up twice a week and potentially win some fancy prices, but after that, I have only been able to stick with one weekly activity, my weekly running session with my boyfriend, with an added weightlifting session at the end. Unsurprisingly, this reduction in activity has resulted in some gained weight, but I'm happy to say that I'm still down 2.5 kilos compared to the same time last year. Considering my consistent work with weights the last half year, I must also have gained some muscle mass, which means that the fat reduction is likely to be higher than what the weight shows.

As my running time dropped, so did my listening hours. But I ended up with 436 "films" for the SC, which I'm very happy with. More than anything, I'm happy with having established that habit (running and listening to audiobooks), which I will definitely keep in the next year.

I've also thought a lot about what I want to do this upcoming year, but I'll go and post about that in the other thread.
4 x

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:59 pm

I think I updated these at some point but I couldn't find it so I'll just comment on these. I'll be joining the 2022 one as well.
jmar257 wrote:Language goals:
1. Starting taking iTalki lessons in Spanish (and later French). This is more so about finding a good timeslot I can consistently make it to.

Did not do this. I'm now living alone and hope to actually do these more than twice before stopping, as well as attending meetup.com events for languages near me (although right now they're all online, sadly).

jmar257 wrote:2. Finish FSI French

Finished the first half, I did not think this course was as long as it was when I started. On pause for German, but may pick it back up soon.

jmar257 wrote:3. Start German (once done with FSI French)

Started; paused maybe a month ago but resumed yesterday.

jmar257 wrote:4. Complete the SC I'm signed up for (Full for Spanish, half for French)

Close...didn't finish but I was close for all categories. Definitely saw great benefits from this and will be doing the next SC most likely.

jmar257 wrote:Fitness goals:
1. Continue counting calories - I've been good about this the past few weeks, although with a break during Thanksgiving and Christmas because life is to be lived. Need to keep this going

Have been good about this, although I've slacked on weekends during football season.

jmar257 wrote:2. Find a balance that doesn't burn me out - I started back doing martial arts last night (BJJ/Muay Thai) and will be trying to balance that with lifting. In the past I didn't have as regimented a schedule and this always caused me to feel guilty skipping one or the other, so I'm planning this a little better now (and not going to try to fit in running and whatnot, although I'll do it when I can, but I won't feel bad about skipping it). I have a 5 day split I'm going to stretch over two weeks, with 2 power days one week and 3 hypertrophy days the next, with two days of martial arts in between (ideally a MT class followed by BJJ). This will have me a bit sore and I can always move lifting days around to accommodate, the trouble will be once I start doing more things on weekends (especially traveling) and trying to maintain a social life.

I think I can say I've done well at this, schedule isn't super consistent but I'm doing martial arts 2-4x a week and lifting 1-2x, and sometimes fitting runs in (although that's more likely when I'm missing martial arts classes).

So I did better on fitness goals than languages goals, which sucks but at the same time I feel I've made good progress in languages the past year.
2 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue May 17, 2022 11:20 pm

I'm a dork. This is last year's. Deleted.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language Challenges”