The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 5541
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 14556
Contact:

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:24 am

:roll:
1 x
Anyone who thinks assembly language programming is difficult, obviously hasn't used Rust.

The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2753
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16235
x 5993

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:55 am

Just a quick note to let you all know I haven't gone MIA. I have been incredibly busy and plan to update this thread in the coming days.

A few quick replies though...

Cavesa - yes, not a problem to start on Jan 2nd.

rdearman/Cavesa/others - we shall keep the 365 Day Challenge scoring simple (i.e. no changes from last year).

Will update the participants/competitors list as soon as I get a chance... Keep studying people!
2 x

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2753
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16235
x 5993

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:39 am

Elsa Maria wrote:I am signing up for Danish.


Smaragd wrote:I'd like to sign up for Russian starting today.


Radioclare wrote:I'd like to sign up for generic (Russian and Croatian).


Lucywalter4061 wrote:I’d like to sign up to Italian starting today.


Cenwalh wrote:I'd like to sign up for the general challenge with Spanish and Catalan - I'm not so organised as to do the specific one.


Due to my time zone generally being radically different than many of the participants (okay, so I might be on another planet, but I can tell you I do exist in another dimension), I need clarification from all the people above as to your start dates. 'Today' doesn't mean much to me, as I've no idea where other people live and what day and time it was when you posted your message according to your time zone.
0 x

Cenwalh
Orange Belt
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:14 am
Location: UK
Languages: English (N), Spanish (acquiring), Catalan (beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12467
x 601

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby Cenwalh » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Due to my time zone generally being radically different than many of the participants (okay, so I might be on another planet, but I can tell you I do exist in another dimension), I need clarification from all the people above as to your start dates. 'Today' doesn't mean much to me, as I've no idea where other people live and what day and time it was when you posted your message according to your time zone.

Well it was the 3rd when I posted my message, but I sort of assumed one just counted the days one studied for half an hour during the year so it wouldn't matter (especially given the simple scoring system this year).

Can I backdate it to the 1st? I meticulously log everything I do so I know I've met the requirements for the days prior to the 3rd.
1 x
1,000,000 sentences of Spanish: 1000000 / 1000000 (completed 2021-03-01)
Double SC films: 200 / 200 (completed 2020-09-06)
Double SC books: 140 / 200 (last updated 2021-03-12)

User avatar
Radioclare
Brown Belt
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:59 pm
Location: England
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian
x 4900
Contact:

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:49 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Radioclare wrote:I'd like to sign up for generic (Russian and Croatian).

Sorry, I was trying to sign up from 1 Jan.
1 x
Croatian SC books: 59 / 100 Croatian SC films: 78 / 100
Russian SC books: 88 / 100 Russian SC films: 65 / 100

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2753
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16235
x 5993

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:39 pm

Cenwalh wrote:Well it was the 3rd when I posted my message, but I sort of assumed one just counted the days one studied for half an hour during the year so it wouldn't matter (especially given the simple scoring system this year).

Can I backdate it to the 1st? I meticulously log everything I do so I know I've met the requirements for the days prior to the 3rd.


You can backdate to the 1st. No probs. Thanks for the reply.
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2753
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16235
x 5993

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:41 pm

Radioclare wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Radioclare wrote:I'd like to sign up for generic (Russian and Croatian).

Sorry, I was trying to sign up from 1 Jan.


No worries. I assumed it was prob Jan 1st for you, but then I thought, best not to assume. Thanks for your reply :)
1 x

User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 5541
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 14556
Contact:

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:32 am

Mine was Jan 1st 12:01 GMT.
1 x
Anyone who thinks assembly language programming is difficult, obviously hasn't used Rust.

The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

User avatar
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2753
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 am
Location: Australia
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16235
x 5993

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:57 am

rdearman wrote:Mine was Jan 1st 12:01 GMT.


Seconds including the hundredths and thousandths. Please. The above means literally nothing to me. You might as well have been writing it in Arabic code mixed with morse code mixed with un morse (walrus) to the power of 7 x Chinese food. :evil:

Edit: It's not that difficult! :x
1 x

User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 5541
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 14556
Contact:

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:28 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
rdearman wrote:Mine was Jan 1st 12:01 GMT.


Seconds including the hundredths and thousandths. Please. The above means literally nothing to me. You might as well have been writing it in Arabic code mixed with morse code mixed with un morse (walrus) to the power of 7 x Chinese food. :evil:

Edit: It's not that difficult! :x

:? I signed up on the 1st of January at one minute after midnight Greenwich Mean Time for Korean. :? Isn't that what you're asking for?
0 x
Anyone who thinks assembly language programming is difficult, obviously hasn't used Rust.

The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast


Return to “Language Challenges”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest