The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - Rules, Sign Up and Discussion

Postby rdearman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 am

If there is one thing I learned from starting the Output Challenge, its "don't start challenges you know you can't win." :lol:
I have learned other life lessons I feel I should pass on.

1. Never tell a biker he is fat.
  2. Don't spit out the window of a moving car.
  3. Blondes may have more fun, but they also have overprotective fathers.
  4. If you pull the earring out of a drunken marine's ear, make sure the bar isn't full of his friends, and you're not the only air force guy.
  5. If you have enough (drunken) courage/stupidity to pull an earring out of a marine's ear in a bar full of marines they'll all buy you drinks because they think your hard as a nail.
  6. In Japan when they tell you the mustard is hot, they mean it.
  7. Never use English mustard like you'd use American mustard. (This is a corollary to the Japanese mustard lesson above)
  8. If you live in England and the forecast says rain, take an umbrella with you.
  9. If you live in England and the forecast says sunshine, take an umbrella with you.
  10. There are more abnormal people who wake up before noon than normal people who are awake until 3am, you will have to deal with these mutants all your life.
  11. When in Rome, DO NOT do as the Romans do.
  12. The Carabinieri are actually fairly even-handed for police officers.
  13. Two Americans in a Japanese mini-mart can always see each other over the top shelves.
  14. Japanese police disapprove of stealing road gratings for use as BBQ grates.
  15. Never shoot your friends with Roman candles, especially if they are wearing polyester.
  16. Japanese police disapprove of Roman candle fights in residential areas. Especially if someone has been caught on fire.
  17. Don't encourage drunk people to try and make a giant kite from a bedsheet to use during a typhoon.
  18. Military Police disapprove of people trying to turn themselves into a human kite in a typhoon.
  19. Military Police disapprove of people trying to remove the valve cores from the tires of the base commander's vehicle.
  20. Military police disapprove of feeding pizza to drug sniffer dogs. (Seems the dog is kept hungry, so it will get a treat when it finds drugs)
  21. If the music in your dormitory can be heard inside the Officers Club a 1/2 mile away they will call the MPs.
  22. Military Police have zero sense of humour about anything.
9 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:13 pm

rdearman wrote:I have learned other life lessons I feel I should pass on.

1. Never tell a biker he is fat.
  2. Don't spit out the window of a moving car. [...]
:lol: Rdearman's wonderful list will be a tough act to follow, but here goes:

Please sign me up for GENERIC with 15 JAN 2021 as the starting date. I intend to focus on Italian, but would like the freedom to dabble in other languages here and there. My primary goal is simply to study languages every. single. day. I hope this challenge, along with some benign peer pressure, will be enough to keep me going!
1 x

daveprine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native speaker); working to maintain German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Indonesian; slowly revisiting other languages studied but poorly maintained in hopes of maintaining them for the long haul.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8921

Postby daveprine » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:25 pm

Quick question for those of us who signed up after the first o' January: Do we do monthly reporting on the first of each month or on the "shifted" day? For example, I signed up on Jan. 4th, so would I report on the 4th of every month or just on the first (so January would be a partial month and then next year January will also be a partial month)?

In other news....I got nothing. Never mind.....
1 x
Main: German, Spanish, French, Italian, Indonesian
To a lesser degree: Hungarian, Dutch, Ukrainian, Brazilian Portuguese, Albanian, Plains Cree
And then: Manx, Japanese, Tunica, Chinuk Wawa
And then I'll cure world hunger and build a hotel on the moon.

DurhamZLearner
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby DurhamZLearner » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:49 pm

I have been studying Spanish for more than an hour every day since last December. Can I sign up as having started the challenge on Jan 1st of this year? At any rate, I am signing up for 30 minutes of Spanish every day.

DurhamZLearner
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:10 am

DurhamZLearner wrote:I have been studying Spanish for more than an hour every day since last December. Can I sign up as having started the challenge on Jan 1st of this year? At any rate, I am signing up for 30 minutes of Spanish every day.

DurhamZLearner

Yes indeed you can. I'll put you down for starting Jan 1st with Spanish. Well done on your consistent study! Good luck!
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:51 am

daveprine wrote:Quick question for those of us who signed up after the first o' January: Do we do monthly reporting on the first of each month or on the "shifted" day? For example, I signed up on Jan. 4th, so would I report on the 4th of every month or just on the first (so January would be a partial month and then next year January will also be a partial month)?

In other news....I got nothing. Never mind.....

I couldn't recall what I'd written in the rules regarding this, but here it is:

The 2021 365 Day Challenge Rules wrote:If you did not start on the first of the month, I'd still prefer you to post you scores at the end of each month (with a reminder of your start date), as it's easier to keep track of all competitors on an end of month basis.

So, obviously you'll end up with less points at the end of January, but in Feb you'll be on an even par with the 1st Jan entrants, just a little down on scoring, so keep reminding us (me) at the end of each month of your start date.

Little disappointed you had no other news. Let's hope you can do better next time. Hell you could make sth up, isn't that what, normal in the media nowadays? :o
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:02 am

The Scoring thread is now up and running, ready to get kicked into action in a week's time:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link to the scoring thread here: The 2021 365 Day Challenge - SCORING
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Postby Bunnychu » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:59 am

Signing up for Swedish and Korean. (January 25th)
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:27 am

I am withdrawing from the 365 Day Challenge. I have big changes on the horizon and am best served by dropping out myself to focus on other goals including continuing to manage the challenge. Good luck peoples!

My final score for Norwegian: 42
1 x

Arizakai
White Belt
Languages: native: Czech
learning: EN/FR/SV/JA

Postby Arizakai » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 am

I am withdrawing from the challenge too. Last day of study Feb, 3.
My final scores: French 34, Italian 34, Japanese 34.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022/2023:
English books: 48 / 5000 films: 372 / 9000
French books: 26 / 5000 films: 133 / 9000
Italian books: 0 / 5000 films: 0 / 9000

Return to “Language Challenges”