Super Challenge: questions and discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Super Challenge: questions and discussion

Postby Serpent » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:21 pm

Register here
Super Challenge Bot

This thread is for discussing the rules, recommending materials, asking questions (including those about the bot) and basically everything that doesn't fit the registration thread. If we decide to do optional short-term subchallenges, they should also be posted here.

Tags:
#read #reading #watched #watching #listened #listening #film #audio
The tags #movie and #book no longer work after #Moldovan and Tibetan were added.

A quick recap of the rules:
- The default goal is to read 100 "books" and watch 100 "films" in 20 months. A "book" is 50 pages and a "film" is 90 minutes. You can also do a half or double challenge.
- If you just have 5 books and 5 films, then you read/watch them 20 times. Though my guess is that by the time you have read/seen them 5 times, you WILL get other films or books.
- A film counts even if you see it with subtitles in your native language or vice versa (in your own language but with TL subtitles). If both subtitles and audio is in a non-native language you have to choose which language you want to count. The same goes for the LR method (Listening-Reading).
- If it lasts approximately 45 minutes (a show/series) it counts as half a film. If it lasts more than three hours it counts as two films. The bot counts 90 minutes for a film.
- You can do fiction or any other material – a documentary on whales, or a book about gardening works just as well as a novel.
- With parallel texts, remember not to count your native language. Usually this means counting 50% of the total text, or a bit less if there are explanations in your L1. If the text is in two non-native languages, you can count it as a half for each.
- A manga counts as 5 manga pages = 1 book page.
- Poetry/librettos count as 1/3 of a page
- For a children's book with large letters, pictures and few words on every page you count 5 pages as one page. When in doubt, use your best judgement.
- You can be at any level when the challenge starts.
- The material covered for this challenge can be counted and done in parallel with any other challenge.
- Podcasts and YouTube videos must have a minimum length of 10 minutes to count.
8 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Super Challenge: questions and discussion

Postby Serpent » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:23 pm

Graphic by jeffers. Green represents the original idea, yellow and orange are also allowed (but some participants choose not to count these), red doesn't count.
Infographic- Films for Super Challenge(v0.5) (1).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:19 pm

For those who would like a little push to get started, you are welcome to join the forum book club, where the books for May have now been selected (which can be read in any language). They are:

- The Chestnut Man by Søren Sveistrup
- The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren
- The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin
- The Plague by Albert Camus
- Southern Mail by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

the book club can be found here:
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 17#p165617

Join us there to talk about the book(s), or to suggest books you want to read in June (or later, if you are reading this at a later date).
3 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Fri May 01, 2020 7:25 am

OK I'm gonna ask because this bugged me last time and I didn't ask then.

Why is TV news OK and audio news not allowed?

The rest I can understand. But what's the difference... they both seem like perfectly good native audio resources to me?
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Cenwalh
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1), Catalan (B2).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12467

Postby Cenwalh » Fri May 01, 2020 7:59 am

Bex wrote:OK I'm gonna ask because this bugged me last time and I didn't ask then.

The rest I can understand. But what's the difference... they both seem like perfectly good native audio resources to me?

Audio news isn't allowed?? That's like the only Catalan audio I vaguely understand :(

Perhaps if you listen to it as a podcast it will be allowed...
1 x
Double SC films: 200 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)
Double SC books: 34 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri May 01, 2020 9:00 am

Bex wrote:Why is TV news OK and audio news not allowed?

Quoting Serpent from 2016:
Video news count but the length requirement still applies.

So everything needs to be at least 10 minutes long, and video news counts, but not audio. I can't remember the reason audio only didn't count. But really the spirit of the challenge is Films and Books. All the other stuff was allowed by exception. Too many exceptions in my humble opinion and Christine should have been more strict, but she is very very nice. :) Sort of like the good-fairy, while I'm more wicked-witch. :lol:
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Fri May 01, 2020 9:50 am

I understand that a line needs to be drawn somewhere but surely it should be drawn at Native materials and minimum duration.

I don't understand how 'learner's audio' is allowed but not 'radio'. Surely radio is more in the spirit of the original SC than learners audio?

If the answer to my question is "that's just how it is and the spirit of the challenge is Films and Books. All the other stuff was allowed by exception" then my next question is: Are we stuck with the original SC rules or can these be discussed and updated?
2 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri May 01, 2020 9:53 am

I'm not the keeper of the rules. That is Christine & Serpent. You'll have to direct questions about the rules to them. They have been updates just about every year we've done it.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rpg
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), French (B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8368

Postby rpg » Fri May 01, 2020 11:24 am

Thought I'd share-- since I've been using LingQ recently, which makes tracking page counts pretty annoying, I calculated the average word and page counts of 9 Spanish and French ebooks I've got in Calibre, and came up with an average of 275 words per page, so that's the figure I plan on using for the challenge.
0 x
Super challenge 2020/21
French reading: 4534 / 5000      Spanish reading: 81 / 5000
French movies: 115 / 150       Spanish movies: 98 / 150

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri May 01, 2020 12:37 pm

Bex wrote:OK I'm gonna ask because this bugged me last time and I didn't ask then.

As rdearman said, Cristina's original concept was 100 books and 100 films, but then immediately loads of people began to ask "can x count as y"? So she made some exceptions and not others. Some exceptions were "too far off" the original concept. As the same questions kept being asked, I made the infographic, and sent it to Cristina who said it matched her concept.

Here's the way to read it: the left side is the original concept. Yellow are the things closest to the concept, with the upper branch beginning with other versions of video stories, the lower branch beginning with stories, but no videos.

Podcasts are a further step away because they have no video component and are much less like a story. The other orange ones are all visual but either live (e.g. plays) or non-story (e.g. news).

The problem with exceptions to the "Film" challenge is that it began to get broader and broader, e.g. "I was on a guided tour of a museum for 2 hours" (which some agreed with but Cristina said was a step too far) to what I think was ridiculous: "I was in Paris for 10 hours listening in on conversations around me" (I don't think anyone actually took that one seriously).

The book half is a lot simpler of course: you can read any text, and generally speaking a page is a page. Exceptions are made for comics, poetry, etc, which have fewer words per page, and books with tons of words per page. For those, an average word count is a good guide.
5 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language Challenges”