Super Challenge: questions and discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Super Challenge: questions and discussion

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:58 am

Maybe we should have a thread for progress reports. I have just been updating mine in my log occasionally by putting progress bars and listing the films and books under the bars, but it would be nice to have a main thread so we could see everyone’s progress in one place. I always liked being able to see everyone else’s lists of books and films for inspiration too.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:39 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Maybe we should have a thread for progress reports. I have just been updating mine in my log occasionally by putting progress bars and listing the films and books under the bars, but it would be nice to have a main thread so we could see everyone’s progress in one place. I always liked being able to see everyone else’s lists of books and films for inspiration too.

That is probably a good idea. I don't think I am ever going to get permissions to edit the bot connection file and I can afford to bring up yet another server just for that. :(
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

davidchoward
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (A2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8963

Postby davidchoward » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:58 pm

Just an update with respect to the bot: I'm still working on getting it deployed! I've refactored a bit of the code, so right now I am just focusing on doing some testing. Unfortunately I am rather busy with work right now, so I don't have time to work on it and I can't make any promises.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:43 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Maybe we should have a thread for progress reports. I have just been updating mine in my log occasionally by putting progress bars and listing the films and books under the bars, but it would be nice to have a main thread so we could see everyone’s progress in one place. I always liked being able to see everyone else’s lists of books and films for inspiration too.

rdearman wrote:

That is probably a good idea. I don't think I am ever going to get permissions to edit the bot connection file and I can afford to bring up yet another server just for that. :(

davidchoward wrote:Just an update with respect to the bot: I'm still working on getting it deployed! I've refactored a bit of the code, so right now I am just focusing on doing some testing. Unfortunately I am rather busy with work right now, so I don't have time to work on it and I can't make any promises.

With the above in mind, the 365/366 day challenges have utilised threads in which participants self update their scores at the end of each month. It's worth considering this, I think for the SC, should this issue continue. Thanks btw for trying to work this issue out (this is certainly not attack on any progress and I can appreciate the work and effort being put into trying to resolve this, people are busy and I get that. Nevertheless an alternative is a possibility. I'm not even registered currently for the SC, but are functioning leaderboard might entice me - I am reading/watching, just not counting).
2 x

annelions
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A1), German (A1), Italian (A1), Croatian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15851

Postby annelions » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:59 pm

jeffers wrote:I made a tracking spreadsheet with a dashboard that sums up challenge progress with charts, and has speedometers to show you if you are on track, behind or ahead. I'm happy for anyone to use it for themselves, to change it all they like, etc.

Here's the link to the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11VLMjsk5qwZfLjaSKCczm53oHDIPL_XH/view?usp=sharing It will open an online version of the file, which you can download to your own computer. (EDIT: new link to v2)

It looks so pretty! And I know at least one other person has gotten them to work well. But I wish I could get the pretty speedometers to work for me. I've opened it in LibreOffice, Google Sheets, and Excel (local and online). All I get is this less pretty jumbled mess:

jumbled dashboard.jpg

The graphs on the data tab only display nicely with Google Sheets and not with LibreOffice or Excel. I wish I were proficient enough with Excel to figure out what's wrong with everything and fix it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Spanish
: 1 / 17 ModernStates
: 2 / 16 Forge
: 0 / 100 Busuu
Croatian
: 0 / 18 Teach Yourself
: 1 / 38 Mondly
German
: 0 / 100 Assimil
: 1 / 64 Lingodeer

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Can Latin be considered part of the Romance Family with regards to the Super Challenge. Or would this be a stretch?
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:35 am

lingua wrote:Can Latin be considered part of the Romance Family with regards to the Super Challenge. Or would this be a stretch?

Since I suspect you mainly mean Classical Latin, I would say it's a stretch but you could do a "Latin And Romance" group I suppose. I don't see why not, given these languages relation to each other.

Really, however, I don't want to police other people's language challenges, especially since I mainly adhere to the rules in spirit myself and make.minor adjustments since the people who originally came up with these challenges likely weren't taking into account some of things a learner like myself has to deal with. So you know, consider the spirit of the challenge and decide for yourself.
4 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

clara
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16333

Postby clara » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Is it too late to join? Could I count what I've done since May? I started Spanish in July, so I know that everything I've read / watched was well after the start date. Would I have to use the Twitter bot, or can I manually tally up my progress? I don't use Twitter. Thanks.
0 x
Spanish Goals
22/23 SC Films: 438 / 18000 438 / 18000 minutes
22/23 SC Books: 6454 / 10000 6454 / 10000 pages
2022 Reading: 8061 / 8000 8061 / 10000 8000 pages

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:32 pm

clara wrote:Is it too late to join? Could I count what I've done since May? I started Spanish in July, so I know that everything I've read / watched was well after the start date. Would I have to use the Twitter bot, or can I manually tally up my progress? I don't use Twitter. Thanks.

I believe you are eligible to join at any time, and your records would count, as long as they meet the criteria. So for example I think what you watched has to be longer than 15 minutes at a time, etc.

The twitter bot is broken at the moment, so everyone is recording their own scores anyway. :)
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Does French in Action count for TV shows? It's a TV show that's all in French from what I remember, but it's not for natives.

Edit: How about YouTube videos?
1 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Return to “Language Challenges”