Super Challenge: questions and discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Super Challenge: questions and discussion

Postby rdearman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:38 am

IronMike wrote:
rdearman wrote:Three letter families are a bit of an edge-case since the only people I ever heard who want it were IronMike and Serpent. :)

Anna Popkova figured one out, at least according to Twitter. Two hours ago she registered for family Semitic with #sem.

I'm going to try a few things. I can always un-register...

It would work is there isn't a matching two letter code. It will try to match the shortest code. So if the is AB it will match that instead of ABC, but if there is no XY then it will match XYZ.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Sprachprofi
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Esperanto (C2), French (C2), Modern Greek (C2), Latin (teaching), Chinese (rusty C1), Italian (rusty C1), Dutch (B2), Spanish (B2), Serbocroatian (B1/B2), very rusty Japanese, Swahili, Indonesian, Hebrew, Arabic...

Postby Sprachprofi » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:39 am

rdearman wrote:surrealix when he wrote it uses it everywhere, and it is a bit like digging through spaghetti to pull out the strand you want. Also, he created a lot of user-defined functions in the MySQL DB and the regular expression stuff (if I remember correctly) was tied up with these. I've done PL/SQL in Oracle and PGPL/SQL in PostgreSQL, but never bothered to look into the MySQL stuff.

Oh dear, oh dear. If you intend to make future additions to the bot, you might want to fork my 6 Week Challenge bot code, which is less than 5 pages and does not involve any database-level functions. Might be easier to adjust that to count books rather than keep adding onto spaghetti code. Only problem is that it's written in Ruby.
0 x

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:15 pm

In fact, it seems Family code works only if two first letter combination are not in single language liste. I remember, for previous challenges we used 01 for Family-Romance and 04 for Family-Greek
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:54 pm

Cavesa wrote:I did great in the first one, but I failed horibly the next one. So, this will be number 3? Or 4? (In which case, I failed twice). 
Not to make anyone feel bad, but the first challenge was in 2012-2013 and this one will be the 6th :lol: You always did an impressive amount of reading even if you didn't complete 100 "books" per language :)
rdearman wrote:Three letter families are a bit of an edge-case since the only people I ever heard who want it were IronMike and Serpent. :)
For the record, I don't care what the tags are as long as the feature is available. It was #02 for Finno-Ugric. #07 was either Slavic or Germanic I think.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Postby Herodotean » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 pm

What code should I use for Latin? It's not in the list of abbreviations. I tried #la and #lat. #lt is Lithuanian.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:59 pm

Serpent wrote:For the record, I don't care what the tags are as long as the feature is available. It was #02 for Finno-Ugric. #07 was either Slavic or Germanic I think.

#07 didn't work. Twitter/the bot didn't recognize it as soon as I typed the zero.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:04 pm

Yeah this was before 2020. Afaiu the number tags don't work as of now, or do some of them work?
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:56 am

Herodotean wrote:What code should I use for Latin? It's not in the list of abbreviations. I tried #la and #lat. #lt is Lithuanian.

Would also like to know this!
1 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:31 am

I have changed the family codes to numeric values, which may or may not be the same numbers as last time, since I had to manually edit the database entries for each language. I've also added Latin (la) to the list.

Let me know in this thread if there is a language or family missing.

EDIT: The codes and language names are on the scoring website: https://anki-tv.co.uk/
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:45 am

Serpent wrote:Not to make anyone feel bad, but the first challenge was in 2012-2013 and this one will be the 6th :lol: You always did an impressive amount of reading even if you didn't complete 100 "books" per language :)

I know it's been that long, but "wow, has it been that long?!?"

I have mixed feelings, because every Super Challenge I feel like I have made super progress. On the other hand, over five challenges I wonder if my overall progress has gone up? It's the old problem of the hill being much higher than expected. If you have ever done any hiking in hills or mountains then you know what I mean. At the bottom of a slope you see what looks like the top, but two things happen: 1. the point you are looking at is often further away than it appears, and 2. you get to that point and realize that it's only a small ridge on the way up a much higher hill.

I think it was during the first Super Challenge that I worked my way through my first grown up novel in French: Les orpailleurs by Thierry Jonquet. It was a struggle, but I really enjoyed it. I also felt like a few more experiences like that and I would be some sort of "pro". It's not been the case, and now I still struggle with grown up literature in French. There's an feeling of discouragement in that it seems just as difficult now as it did during the first Super Challenge. In fact, this is an illusion, and my comprehenion is many orders of magnitude better than back then. In those days, I was happy if I understood the majority of the plot elements of a chapter, which sometimes meant I was looking up dozens of words per page (happily, it was quick with the keyboard version of Kindle in those days). Now, I get frusrated when I have to look up 5 words on a page, or I don't understand why a sentence is phrased the way it is. It is a very different type of difficulty, but the illusion is that both experiences feel much the same.

The original challenge came from Cristina saying "I won't be fluent until I've read 100 books and watched 100 films". Now I think that won't happen until I've done that at least 10 times! :lol: But honestly, that's not really a bad thing. I have enjoyed the process, and I believe I will continue to enjoy the process.

And I am sure that THIS TIME I will complete all 100 books of my French reading challenge. :lol:
11 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language Challenges”