Super Challenge: questions and discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Super Challenge: questions and discussion

Postby emk » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:10 pm

Carl wrote:There's an article on the wiki that reminds me of how many options there are for reading a target language book: reading silently vs. aloud; monolingual vs. bilingual texts; reading with the eyes and ears at the same time; etc.

I think the 1-in-25 rule mentioned by rdearman is brilliant. A huge portion of the benefit of the Super Challenge seems to come from the sheer volume. Volume helps take stuff you already know—or which you can puzzle out—and consolidates it into automatic knowledge. But that occasional deep dive provides a chance to figure out more complicated things.

For my current Challenge, I'm starting with a bilingual book, because I'm trying to read real adult books very early in the learning process. And bilingual books can allow reading at a surprisingly low level. But there's a lot to be said for using graded readers or easy children's books, if you can find them.

After that, my next step is likely to be graphic novels. Graphic novels are amazing for French, because you have so many different choices in so many different genres, and there are plenty of actual literary quality. In Spanish, I'll probably try Blacksad, a noir graphic novel starring an anthropomorphic cat.

After a few books, an ereader with a pop-up dictionary should get easier. Especially if I read a couple of books in Spanish that I already know very well in English.

Really, the most important thing about a reading method is that it makes you want to read books! Everything else is secondary to that.
7 x

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: english (N) //
use: french
study: latin, modern greek
study sometimes: spanish, russian, old english
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:05 pm

If I wanted to do Latin, could my half challenge just be 100 books? Also, if I did Greek, could I combine Modern and Ancient?
2 x
<><
5k French Pages: 0 / 5000
100 French Movies: 0 / 100
5k Latin Pages: 0 / 5000
Greek Super Challenge: 0 / 100

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:11 pm

cito wrote:If I wanted to do Latin, could my half challenge just be 100 books? Also, if I did Greek, could I combine Modern and Ancient?

People have done the book side only, that's no issue. As regards ancient and modern Greek, I don't see why not. They're closer together than a language family, which has been allowed for a long time.
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: english (N) //
use: french
study: latin, modern greek
study sometimes: spanish, russian, old english
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:14 pm

jeffers wrote:
cito wrote:If I wanted to do Latin, could my half challenge just be 100 books? Also, if I did Greek, could I combine Modern and Ancient?

People have done the book side only, that's no issue. As regards ancient and modern Greek, I don't see why not. They're closer together than a language family, which has been allowed for a long time.

Awesome. Also, do podcasts count as movies or books?
1 x
<><
5k French Pages: 0 / 5000
100 French Movies: 0 / 100
5k Latin Pages: 0 / 5000
Greek Super Challenge: 0 / 100

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:25 pm

cito wrote:Awesome. Also, do podcasts count as movies or books?

To oversimplify things a bit, here's my understanding of the rules:

1. You can only count a given reading/viewing once.
  2. If you're actively listening to audio in your target language with your full attention, and not just leaving it on in the background, then you can count it as watching/listening.
  3. If you're actively reading in your target language, then you can count it as reading. If text is in an unusual format, you can always fall back to "250 words in the target language = 1 page".
So let's say I was listening to Radio Ambulante, and reading along with the excellent transcript they provide. I could count this as either watching or reading, but not both. But if went through the episode a second time, then I could count it as the other.

And when in doubt, use common sense. :)
7 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)

Postby jeffers » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:58 pm

cito wrote:
jeffers wrote:

Awesome. Also, do podcasts count as movies or books?

What he (emk) said. And any audio falls under the film side of the challenge.
2 x

kaffesugen get
Languages: Swedish (N), English (Adv), French (Int), German (Beg)

Postby kaffesugen get » Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 am

rdearman wrote:I forked and updated the bot and put it on my GitHub page. I wrote a system for updates from Mastodon and via email, since Twitter stopped working. Although I think I could probably resign up for a twitter dev account. The original died when Elon took over and changed the rules on the dev accounts so the account which surrilix opened was shutdown.

I will try to start it up again before May and test the Mastodon part. Email is fairly flaky because the responses hit spam filters and get blocked, although the email did work when sent to my email server, you just didn't get a response and can't tell that it worked. I didn't do a web front end, but in hindsight this would have been the better option. I really should have done this before I started the new job!

Have you had any opportunity to look at the Mastodon bot? I find this kind of tracking useful, otherwise I forget to log stuff. It would also give me an incentive to create a Mastodon account.
2 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Thu May 02, 2024 9:25 am

I've shared my tracking spreadsheet further up, but here's a new link. It is an Excel sheet, and unfortunately some features only work in the app. However, if you save it to your OneDrive you can update it on your phone, the web, etc.

Viewing link:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Au7QtoKh6LiuiyB3pQ1OuQWbb2AI?e=h9aGYk
You will need to make your own copy once you view it. Basically, choose the option to save a copy.

I had planned to make a couple updates, but didn't get around to it:
  • The needles are too sensitive at the beginning of the challenge, and not sensitive enough at the end. Basically, if you're a few pages above or below at the start, where it makes little difference, the needle can be buried to the right or left. And at the end, if you're 10% behind it doesn't look too bad, even though in the final weeks 10% behind would be quite a problem. I think to do that the formula would need to be based on something like the amount of task left compared inversely to the amount of time remaining. Meh.
  • The timeline bar at the top wasn't working in the second half of the challenge, but I never investigated.

Here's what the dashboard looks like:
Screenshot 2024-05-02 102523.png

Just add pages to reading tabs or minutes to the film tabs. The value of having % is that you can update books while you're reading them, or you can put 200% if you read it twice. Here's my Hindi book page, for example:
Screenshot 2024-05-02 102802.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10 x

Severine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Latin (Adv.), Ancient Greek (Adv.) French (Adv.), Spanish (Int.), Russian (Int.), Italian (Rusty Int.), Mandarin (Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20198

Postby Severine » Fri May 03, 2024 1:22 am

jeffers wrote:I've shared my tracking spreadsheet further up, but here's a new link. It is an Excel sheet, and unfortunately some features only work in the app. However, if you save it to your OneDrive you can update it on your phone, the web, etc.

Viewing link:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Au7QtoKh6LiuiyB3pQ1OuQWbb2AI?e=h9aGYk
You will need to make your own copy once you view it. Basically, choose the option to save a copy.

That is an absolute delight of a spreadsheet. Thank you for sharing it! I am tracking all of the same data, but stylistically I've been slumming it with a simple table and a bit of conditional formatting. No longer! Now I too shall have a spiffy data dashboard.

I'm just going to leave this here for you, without comment:
https://fmworldcup.com/excel-esports/microsoft-excel-world-championship/
2 x
French ..... Read : 0 / 10000 Watch : 0 / 18000
Latin ........ Read : 0 / 5000 Watch : 0 / 9000
Russian .... Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500
Mandarin .. Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Sat May 04, 2024 3:47 pm

I've made a separate thread about Storyweaver, but figured some people who are taking part in the SC might have missed it. Storyweaver is a free reading website made by Pratham Books in India. They have thousands of children's books in hundreds of languages, arranged in four levels, so it should be quite useful for people at A0-A2 levels. All are open source and can be read online or downloaded as a pdf or epub. You can even edit them, and add your own translations.

https://storyweaver.org.in/en/

Here's the original thread, if you want to discuss the site and its features: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20231
6 x

Return to “Language Challenges”