Month by Month Swedish/Polish challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Month by Month Swedish/Polish challenge

Postby Elenia » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:11 am

soldeace wrote:
tricours wrote:What do you think - should we start Chatting month on the 1st of January?

Sure! And how are we going to gauge progress? I'd shoot for a certain amount of messages per day, but that could be a bit cumbersome to count manually -- and impossible if we are talking about audio. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes of chat a day, what do you think?

I'm also for a 1st January start! I'm not sure minutes work either - text chats can be so fragmented sometimes, for a variety of reasons. Maybe we can just aim to have one meaningful chat a day, beyond the formalities. How does that sound?
0 x

soldeace
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C1), Spanish (B2), Esperanto (B1), French (A2), Swedish (larva)

Postby soldeace » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:22 pm

Great! And if you can't chat for whatever reason that day, then you write a post on lang8. Deal?
And if you fail miserably on both, chin-ups. :twisted:
0 x
: 11 / 20 Duolingo (Swedish)
: 3 / 17 Colloquial Swedish book

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:28 pm

soldeace wrote:Great! And if you can't chat for whatever reason that day, then you write a post on lang8. Deal?
And if you fail miserably on both, chin-ups. :twisted:

I genuinely can't do chin ups. I can't even do one. I can't even do half of one.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Hello, team! Happy new year to all!

How are we all going on the challenge front? I completely forgot to chat at all in Swedish yesterday, so I will just borrow from the last challenge penalty, and give myself 20 push ups to do. I have chatted today, however.

I think this challenge will be unfairly easy on me, as I Whatsapp my boyfriend in Swedish as often as not*. Therefore, I will also aim to do those ten minutes of speaking per day that I proposed, which will have the added plus of pushing me forward with the output challenge.

Good luck to us all!

*Recently, we even had a conversation about literature!
0 x

tricours
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), Norwegian (bokmål), English, French (C1), Russian (OK), Ukrainian (meh), Polish (beginner)

Postby tricours » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:04 pm

I remembered the challenge on the 1st, but I had no one to talk to so I failed :P I've found some people on Interpals that I exchange messages with in Polish, so I guess this counts!
0 x
: 18 / 18 Colloquial Polish :
: 2105 / 3000 Anki Cards :
: 3 / 10 Polish Books :
: 1 / 28 Polish in 4 Weeks :

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:06 pm

tricours wrote:I remembered the challenge on the 1st, but I had no one to talk to so I failed :P I've found some people on Interpals that I exchange messages with in Polish, so I guess this counts!

I'm assuming any conversation counts as long as it goes beyond the niceties?
0 x

tricours
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), Norwegian (bokmål), English, French (C1), Russian (OK), Ukrainian (meh), Polish (beginner)

Postby tricours » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:26 am

Ugh! This is a hard month. I lost 6 days when I was in Budapest, and I haven't made up for those yet... My problem with writing these kinds of message/letters things is that I get carried away, and messages get longer and longer, until finally it takes ages to finish everything.

So, how's everyone else doing?
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:26 pm

tricours wrote:Ugh! This is a hard month. I lost 6 days when I was in Budapest, and I haven't made up for those yet... My problem with writing these kinds of message/letters things is that I get carried away, and messages get longer and longer, until finally it takes ages to finish everything.

So, how's everyone else doing?

I think I missed a day, but I've managed every other day. HelloTalk is being rather glitchy, which is a problem :(
0 x

tricours
Yellow Belt

Postby tricours » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:14 am

Argh! I've got like 10 missed days :'( Today I did manage to write two messages though. My greatest problem with this is that I have to use my computer to write, and I don't particularly like picking up my computer when I get home from work...

I finished my book though (Bez pożegnania) and started Polish in 4 weeks, level 2 :D
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:17 pm

tricours wrote:Argh! I've got like 10 missed days :'( Today I did manage to write two messages though. My greatest problem with this is that I have to use my computer to write, and I don't particularly like picking up my computer when I get home from work...

I finished my book though (Bez pożegnania) and started Polish in 4 weeks, level 2 :D

I think I have about two or three missed days, too. But well done on your other progress!
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”