Month by Month Swedish/Polish challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
tricours
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), Norwegian (bokmål), English, French (C1), Russian (OK), Ukrainian (meh), Polish (beginner)

Re: Month by Month Swedish/Polish challenge

Postby tricours » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:59 pm

I'm tempted to add audio, but at the same time, I always do Anki on the train to work, and that early in the morning, I need some music to wake me up...

Listening has been going great. Since I actually got into Bez pożegnania, I am really enjoying it (except for the child's voice... ) and will easily listen to more than 20 minutes a day. I had to give up trying to read it in a practical app or whatever, because the ePub just wouldn't open in the Google library and Readlang on my phone won't remember what I've looked up (it does that in the web version I think...) and so I can't quite tell where I am and so on... So I transferred it to my Kindle instead and found out I can pretty much listen to the audio book at 1.25 speed and read the text without actually looking up words, and still get it. I do stop now here and there because I get curious about words, but it doesn't feel absolutely necessary, which is nice. But seriously, why is there no Polish Kindle dictionary for readers OF Polish?

Our listening month is soon over! What should we do next month?
2 x
: 18 / 18 Colloquial Polish :
: 2105 / 3000 Anki Cards :
: 3 / 10 Polish Books :
: 1 / 28 Polish in 4 Weeks :

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:38 pm

tricours wrote:Our listening month is soon over! What should we do next month?

Well, you've already had reading, writing and listening, and I'm feeling pretty masochistic so... how about speaking? Ten minutes of speaking a day? Or something?
0 x

tricours
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), Norwegian (bokmål), English, French (C1), Russian (OK), Ukrainian (meh), Polish (beginner)

Postby tricours » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Elenia wrote:

Well, you've already had reading, writing and listening, and I'm feeling pretty masochistic so... how about speaking? Ten minutes of speaking a day? Or something?

I have no one to speak to so that would be difficult :? (I don't do phone/Skype)

We can always repeat a skill with a new variation, and there's been no grammar month or vocab month or... What else? Chatting month (that's kind of a version of speaking!)
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:39 pm

tricours wrote:
Elenia wrote:

I have no one to speak to so that would be difficult :? (I don't do phone/Skype)

We can always repeat a skill with a new variation, and there's been no grammar month or vocab month or... What else? Chatting month (that's kind of a version of speaking!)

Well, I was thinking that any speaking could count - course talk, self talk, reading aloud, chatting... although vocab would probably be useful too :?
0 x

soldeace
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C1), Spanish (B2), Esperanto (B1), French (A2), Swedish (larva)

Postby soldeace » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:20 am

I'm all for it, even though I still speak a baby-like Swedish with people as I lack a decent vocab. Do you guys use HelloTalk? It's a language exchange app. It seems to bear some pretty interesting features. You all can add me there if you wish, same username :)
0 x
: 11 / 20 Duolingo (Swedish)
: 3 / 17 Colloquial Swedish book

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:14 am

soldeace wrote:I'm all for it, even though I still speak a baby-like Swedish with people as I lack a decent vocab. Do you guys use HelloTalk? It's a language exchange app. It seems to bear some pretty interesting features. You all can add me there if you wish, same username :)

I don't - it's an android only app, isn't it? I've read a lot about it, though, and I would love to give it a try!
0 x

soldeace
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C1), Spanish (B2), Esperanto (B1), French (A2), Swedish (larva)

Postby soldeace » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:25 am

Elenia wrote:
soldeace wrote:I'm all for it, even though I still speak a baby-like Swedish with people as I lack a decent vocab. Do you guys use HelloTalk? It's a language exchange app. It seems to bear some pretty interesting features. You all can add me there if you wish, same username :)

I don't - it's an android only app, isn't it? I've read a lot about it, though, and I would love to give it a try!

It's available for both Android and iOS. Get it now, it's an order! :)
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:44 am

soldeace wrote:
Elenia wrote:

It's available for both Android and iOS. Get it now, it's an order! :)

Sir, yes Sir! I have downloaded it, but I haven't played around with it yet
0 x

tricours
Yellow Belt

Postby tricours » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:55 pm

What do you think - should we start Chatting month on the 1st of January?
0 x

soldeace
White Belt

Postby soldeace » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:23 pm

tricours wrote:What do you think - should we start Chatting month on the 1st of January?

Sure! And how are we going to gauge progress? I'd shoot for a certain amount of messages per day, but that could be a bit cumbersome to count manually -- and impossible if we are talking about audio. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes of chat a day, what do you think?
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”