Output Challenge 2020 Registration & Reporting Thread

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: Output Challenge 2020 Registration & Reporting Thread

Postby Mista » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:17 am

January is over, and I ended up with 4277 words, so I reached my goal. No speaking so far (though I have practiced speaking in contexts where I can't record).

I have partly been writing summaries of the books I am reading for my courses. However, since that requires that I have actually read something, I have on busy days gone for more straightforward topics. One of these is my family history and my own life, which is a topic I probably can keep going for a while. In between, I write about things I've done recently and maybe write more generally about that topic, things like exercise or going to the cinema. My main goal with these writing activities is to support my speaking skills, so I try to imagine myself in some casual conversation someday when I write.
5 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Postby Mista » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:55 pm

The last week of February is starting tomorrow. I now have 6531 written words in total, and my goal by the end of the month is 8200, so I have 1669 words to go, a little over 200 a day.

In addition to that, I'd like to take this week to start working on the speaking part of the challenge. My goal for the week is 30 minutes, which is 5 minutes a day for 6 days, and my topic will be the books I have already read (and written about) for my literature courses.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Go! Go! Go! :)
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Thanks for the support! Without it, it would have felt a little lonely in here ...

My numbers as of now are:
Written words: 8208
Spoken minutes: 32

Which means I've reached the goals I set myself :D

I'm very happy to finally have started on the speaking part. 6-7 minutes a day is no big deal now that I got going, and I think it's going to help me a lot towards my exams. My plan now is to try to continue this habit throughout the whole of next month.

Has anyone else been making progress?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:07 pm

I have been doing some "scriptorium" with Mandarin, basically just copying a young-adult book which has Hanzi and Pinyin. I seriously doubt that I will manage my own challenge! :lol:
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:54 pm

I am not doing challenges, but can't resist the temptation to mention that my writings about music in a number of languages amount to something around 42.832 words (the same as a small novel and comparable to my five part language learning guide, which also is found on this forum). The first couple of messages (in a thread about music) came in December, and one rant about Danish music in my log is written in Danish, but on the other hand I haven't included messages about other topics, neither in the log thread nor in other threads so the total should still be way about 40.000 words for the first two months of 2020 - and then I didn't write a line during my two weeks in India.I can't see how I can avoid producing the last 10.000 words during the remaining 10 months of this year - but of course spread thinly over a number of languages, most of which aren't my native Danish.

But speech: nothing recorded so far, and very little spoken (apart from English and a bit of Spanish).
0 x

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:06 pm

LANGUAGE: Italian
CHALLENGE: Full Challenge
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: B1

LANGUAGE: Greek
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: 0-A1

LANGUAGE: Chinese
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: A1

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Russian (if I am not too busy!)

COMMENTS: I hope this year I will have some time for languages!
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:13 pm

The coming week is the last week before Easter, and therefore a very popular week to set deadlines for assignments at the university, presumably because the teachers are planning to go through them during the holidays. Since I have to prioritize these over my own self-imposed deadlines, I have decided to extend the month of March by a few days, and will aim to reach my March output goals by next Saturday, the fifth. I have a French essay to be submitted on the 3rd, and a translation on the 4th, but some other, non-French stuff before that. On Friday, after submitting the translation, I'll do the math, and if I haven't reached my end-of March goal of 12 300 words by then, I'll have to do what needs to be done on Saturday.

As for the speaking part, I have been thrown off track by the Corona situation. All my regular conversation events have been cancelled, but at the same time, the university has been considering what to do with the exams, after the decision that no exams will be held on campus. These last few days, however, we're finally getting some answers. As concerns my two French oral exams, one of them has been changed to written, while the other one will be held as planned as a video conference. Meanwhile, my reading aloud sessions has made me aware that I'm a little rusty on the technical side, so for now, I'll continue daily reading sessions of around 15 minutes per day.

How is everyone else doing? Feel free to join me with your own goals for the coming week.
1 x

chlebka
Languages: Polish (N), English ("advanced"), German (intermediate), Norwegian (beginner), French (absolute beginner)

Postby chlebka » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:12 am

LANGUAGE: English
CHALLENGE: Speaking only
CURRENT LEVEL: "advanced"

LANGUAGE: German
CHALLENGE: Speaking and writing
CURRENT LEVEL: intermediate

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Polish

COMMENT: I'm late but I pinkie promise to do my best :D I've already written some essays this year, I don't know if it counts.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 am

chlebka wrote: I've already written some essays this year, I don't know if it counts.

It counts.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language Challenges”