Output Challenge 2020 Registration & Reporting Thread

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: Output Challenge 2020 Registration & Reporting Thread

Postby Querneus » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:58 am

Wait a second-

I just tried looking into whether there were threads to post one's output in, and it appears there have never been such threads? Some people have posted output in a log on occasion and that's it...?

I'm just asking because then there's not much of a point in having the Willing to Correct field.
Phew. ^_^'
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:20 am

It was mainly so you could look through the thread and do a PM. Or you could just post in the Multi-Lingual area and ask for help here.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:57 pm

rdearman wrote:It was mainly so you could look through the thread and do a PM. Or you could just post in the Multi-Lingual area and ask for help here.

The multilingual what?

...Oh, that subforum that I never manage to remember exists. I think my brain has learned to gloss it over completely. :shock: Naturally it's because it's very slow; there was only one (1) post this December, for example.

Thanks for the clarification. :)
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm

In order to finally succeed at this thing, I made the resolution to write 4000 words every month. So far in January, I've done 851 - and I wrote over 400 of those today, because I realized that I need to write 400 a day to reach 4000 by the end of the month, which somehow is already next Friday. Time flies :shock: . However, it took me just 45 minutes today, so it's still perfectly doable, with a little dedication.

How is everybody else doing? Who wants to (or needs to ;) ) join me for a writing marathon week?
1 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:42 pm

Mista wrote:In order to finally succeed at this thing, I made the resolution to write 4000 words every month. So far in January, I've done 851 - and I wrote over 400 of those today, because I realized that I need to write 400 a day to reach 4000 by the end of the month, which somehow is already next Friday. Time flies :shock: . However, it took me just 45 minutes today, so it's still perfectly doable, with a little dedication.

How is everybody else doing? Who wants to (or needs to ;) ) join me for a writing marathon week?

Yeahhhhh I've not done any yet so probably need to join in on that writing marathon! :lol:
0 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:00 am

I don't participate in challenges, but just wanted to mention that since I started to write my multilingual history of Western music in my log thread approx. one month ago I have written some 40.000 words according to the copy I've got in MS Word. This includes some messages in other threads and answers from others in my own log - but on the other hand I don't store everything I write in other threads in that Word file, so the number 40.000 can't be totally off the mark. And today I have added around 2600 words - mostly in Russian, which not only isn't one of my strongest languages, but also has to be written with the help of a virtual keyboard (I use the one at Lexilogos).

BTW: the real nanowrimo challenge expects you to write 50.000 words within one month - and that month has to be November. I could have done that, but I'm too lazy and unorganized, and besides it's January now, not November.
2 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:12 am

I'm not doing very well yet. I still need to work on creating the daily writing habit. I probably need to do it first thing in the evening instead of the last thing by which time I'm tired and lose interest.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

samothin
Yellow Belt
Languages: MS (N), EN (C2)*, ZH (B2)*, TA (A1)*
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9013

Postby samothin » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:47 am

LANGUAGE: Chinese
CHALLENGE: Audio only
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: (A2 - B1-ish)
WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: No, Malay

I've been mostly learning through immersion +SRS, so now I'm trying to solidify my output. My current plan is to just record 8 mins of random rambling on any topic everyday. I do have weekly 3-hrs conversation practice at my Meetup, but I'm trying to push output beyond the normal range of conversation, so I won't include the Meetup time in the challenge.
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:22 am

I never officially "signed up" but I've been doing an Output Challenge for Italian, so I might as well make it official now:

LANGUAGE: Italian
CHALLENGE: Writing only
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: ??? (the eternal question)

I'm aiming for 200 words/day, 5 days per week to reach this goal.

In practice, I'm discovering that it's a little easier to crank out 1,000 words in one or two days per week, instead of every day. It's a little hard to get started, but once I do it's hard to stop. I've been mostly writing about my day, whatever is on my mind. I think I should probably switch to some topics/formats that are a little more challenging, like maybe writing restaurant reviews or letters to companies.
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:00 pm

StringerBell wrote: I think I should probably switch to some topics/formats that are a little more challenging, like maybe writing restaurant reviews or letters to companies.

Way back in the mists of time when I started this challenge, I used to put up writing prompts! You might want to review some of those.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=21&t=710
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Challenges”