Output Challenge 2020 Registration & Reporting Thread

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Output Challenge 2020 Registration & Reporting Thread

Postby rdearman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:17 am

Welcome to the Output Challenge Registration thread. I hereby officially open the registration for the Output Challenge 2020 !!! The Output Challenge runs from 1st January 2020- 31st of December 2020. 12 months or 1 year to complete the challenge.

The idea of the Output Challenge is output both writing and/or speech in your target language. The hope is by increasing the amount of output you produce, you'll be able to identify gaps in your knowledge of grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation or other problematic areas of output.

The challenge entails:

50,000 words or 1 nanowrimo novel
50 hours of recorded speech (only minutes where you are speaking count)

You can post your writing for correction on sites such as lang-8, and perhaps find people willing to give corrections of your audio recordings. It would be very helpful if you can state if you're willing to provide advice or corrections in your native language.

To register, please state:

LANGUAGE:

CHALLENGE: (Audio only, Writing only, Full Challenge)

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2)

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: (Yes/No "Your native language")

COMMENTS: Any comments you feel like adding as to your reasons for choice of language, type of challenge or material you want to produce or your expectations for the outcome.

The rules are straightforward, but are open to questioning. In the normal course of the challenge if you feel that what you are doing is in the spirit of the challenge, e.g. producing copious amounts of output in your target language, and it is helping you improve, then it is probably OK. If you don't know, just ask. Generally, if you wrote it, pen, paper, keyboard, blog, poem, traffic ticket, then it counts. Audio is slightly more difficult, but if you are talking, singing, whatever and being recorded it counts. If you're not recording it, then it doesn't count. The reason is that we're only counting output that could be shared. You don't have to share, but the potential has to exist. So chatting with your neighbour over the fence doesn't count, unless you get permission and record it.

If you're uncomfortable with the audio then feel free to just signup for written output only.

Some other points are:
- You can be at any level when the challenge starts.
- Any work or material completed in this challenge can be used on any other challenge.
- You can join the challenge at any point while the challenge is running.
- You are welcome to link to your other logs in this thread.
- Anything you've written or recorded from 1st January counts, even if you'd not yet officially registered.

We don't have a cool Bot like all the other challenges, so you have to do it the hard way. Save your writing and use the word count tool in your software. Count the minutes in your audio. Save it all on a pen and paper or spreadsheet. You can also use the very cool progress bars available on this forum, the instructions for progress bars are in the FAQ.

I strongly encourage you to check out the mini-challenges and prompts from previous years. https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=710

We are now allowing multiple languages. So you can register for more than one.

Please note this is the registration thread and the discussion thread. If you have a writing or audio prompt which you'd like to share then please do! Mini-challenges or Nanowrimo style "Word Sprint Challenges" and "Word War Challenges" are also welcome! In the past people have contributed daily writing prompts as well as monthly challenges. So please join in and let's Output!
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Mooby
Orange Belt
Polish, German, Turkish

Re: Output Challenge 2020 Registration & Reporting Thread

Postby Mooby » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:18 am

I've been putting off active skills for way too long, so while I'm feeling suitably masochistic this morning, I'd like to register as follows:
- Polish
- Writing only
- B2 Input / B1 Output
- Happy to correct English
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:29 am

LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: Full Challenge, though I feel more confident about the writing part and considered signing up for writing only

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: B1-B2

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes, Norwegian

COMMENTS: To keep this challenge a little bit more alive and present in people's minds, maybe we could do a monthly update where everyone posts their numbers? I'm also considering running a mini-challenge as a kickstarter, maybe starting in a week or two (when everyone has had the time to sign up here).
2 x

klvik
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (Intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3149

Postby klvik » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:14 pm

I'm in.
-Audio only challenge (full)
-Native language is English
-Target language is Spanish
-Current level is intermediate
0 x
January 5, 2020
2020 Output Challenge speaking: 66 / 3000

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:39 pm

LANGUAGE: German

CHALLENGE: Full challenge

CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: C1

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Yes - English

Let's see if I can do this, this time around! My active skills are definitely lagging behind and this looks a great way to practise—on the off-chance I complete it early, I'll try out Mandarin too. :lol:
2 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:33 pm

Oorgh, you made this thread on December 31st. ^_^" I guess the reasonable thing to do would be to extend possible beginning dates to January 31st, so people who start on January 10th 2010 would finish on January 10th 2021.

LANGUAGE: Latin
CHALLENGE: Full challenge. Yeah, I'm one of those latīnitās vīva people who don't mind oral Latin...
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: B1
WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: Spanish. I could also give comments on Latin, but I wouldn't suggest that you blindly trust my corrections. :P
1 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:28 pm

Okay, sign me up. I will try two half challenges:

LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: Audio only

LANGUAGE: Indonesian

CHALLENGE: Writing only

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: English, depending on life commitments

COMMENTS: My French mouth needs training (my French brain, too but I’ll leave that till later). I’ll start gently with reading aloud and chorusing. I need more Indonesian vocabulary so will start with scriptorium and move onto freer writing later.

The 2019 365 Day Challenge was good for me - let’s see how this one works out. I should have a good idea by the end of January.
1 x

fleafreethree
Languages: Thai, Sanskrit
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12097

Postby fleafreethree » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:39 am

This is exactly what I need to do, though I'll be combining it with my 366-day challenge.

Language: Thai
Challenge: Full
Level: C for input, B for output
Willing to correct: In the unlikely event that anyone needs English corrected, I could do that (assuming the stars align and I have the time available).
0 x
Output Challenge:
TH : 0 / 50 Speaking
TH : 0 / 50000 Writing

Anteetna
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English (B2), Spanish (B1), Esperanto (B1), Albanian (A1)

Postby Anteetna » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:06 am

Happy new year!
I want to sign in for two half challenges, only writing:

LANGUAGE: English
CHALLENGE: Writing only, Half Challenge
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: B2

LANGUAGE: Spanish
CHALLENGE: Writing only, Half Challenge
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: A2

WILLING TO CORRECT LANGUAGE: German

COMMENTS: I'm combining this with the 366-day challenge.
1 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:19 pm

LANGUAGE: Italian
CHALLENGE: Full Challenge
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: B1/B2
COMMENTS: I attempted this last year but fizzled out after a few months. Since I'm planning to make 2020 the year of writing for Italian my commitment is much higher this time around.

LANGUAGE: Portuguese
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: A0

LANGUAGE: German
CURRENT LANGUAGE LEVEL: A0

COMMENTS: I want to start off writing in Portuguese and German from the beginning in hopes it will solidify grammar and I will be able to speak competently much sooner than I ever did with Italian.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Return to “Language Challenges”