2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge

Postby IronMike » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Greetings all! In early 2019, I set myself a language and fitness challenge I ended up calling The Polyglot Fitness Challenge. I had (am still having?) a great time with my two language and two fitness goals. Some of you have told me you're interested in it too, so thought I'd start a 2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge officially. Thus, this thread.

What is a Polyglot Fitness Challenge? It is whatever you want it to be! As long as you have at least one language and one fitness challenge, then you can be part of this challenge. Let everyone know in this thread what your challenge will entail, and update us periodically, so we can cheer you on!

What are examples of language challenges? For 2019, I strove to earn minimum scores in the DLPT for Italian and the DLPT and OPI for Russian. I know only a few of us can even take those tests. But that's okay! How about setting yourself a certain score in a dialang proficiency test? Or are you taking an official test sometime in 2020? Maybe set your goal at "Pass the B2 test for (insert language here)." Not keen to take a test? How about "Complete an average of one, 30-minute iTalki per week for (language) in 2020"? Or: "Read Master and Margarita in the original," or something similar?

What are examples of fitness challenges? For 2019, I aimed at a certain time for one of my swims and a particular weight for deadlift. (I can tell you now that I didn't make the former and won't make the latter...but that's ok, see below.) Maybe you've always wanted to run a 5K? 2020 could be your year! Or how about: "Average 10,000 steps per day all year," or "When given the choice of elevator or stairs, take the stairs at least 50% of the time." Maybe you're a biker and you want to bike to work at least twice a week. Make that your challenge!

What if I know I'm not going to succeed? No problem! You can change your challenge at anytime. Just let us know. If you get injured, for instance, and can no longer complete your fitness challenge, change it to something you can do! There are no points. You're competing against yourself. So set your challenge as hard or easy as you want.

Who can take part in the Polyglot Fitness Challenge? As long as you announce at least one language challenge and one fitness challenge here, you're part of this challenge! And we're all here to support you. Once you commit in this thread, I'll add you to the list below this post.
12 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Re: 2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge

Postby IronMike » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:21 pm

The folks below have committed to taking part in the 2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge, starting 1 January 2020. Congratulations to you all! You're already winners just for signing up.

Aloyse
aokoye
brilliantyears
cathrynm
coldrainwater
EmGeeFab
FairyGarden
Hanskius
HockeyKnight
IronMike
jmar257
lavengro
marie39
Mista
Sparverius
Systematiker
Thala
Uniceros
Last edited by IronMike on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:59 am, edited 12 times in total.
2 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Not quite sure what I'm going to do yet. But here's my initial wag:

Language: I want to keep my 2+/2+/2+ (or higher?) in Russian. I can take the DLPT and OPI again in the summer. I'd also like to get my BCS back, so I'm aiming for a 1/1/1 minimum. I'll try the DLPT and OPI maybe in May...-ish.

Fitness: I'd like to hit 200 miles swum in 2020. I'd also like to swim under 5:00 in Swim the Suck. If I get in this year.

I expect these might change as 2020 progresses.
5 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Oof. My kind of challenge. I have to think about my goals and will get back to you on the details.

I think I'll go with Russian, but I may add Norwegian (or Japanese?).

As for the fitness part, I've got so many options. I'd like to get a bit more serious about running again (no more half marathons for me, but more consistency would be nice). I might go with 250-300km in a year, or 2 seasons of Zombies, Run! or something. Get serious about weight lifting and set some actual goals for that? Maybe go back to yoga. More long walks or long bike rides (I can catch up on podcasts+language learning while I'm at it). Or try something new (I've been wanting to pick up boxing or kick boxing for forever). I'm really going to have to think about it.

2019 wasn't my year. I don't want to set any weight loss goals but darn, it would be nice to get back into pre-2019 shape :roll: Maybe just feeling good in my skin again would be the goal, although I have no idea how to measure that.
6 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:14 pm

I’m in for this this year.

I may adjust, but initially:

Language: pass any 8 DLPTs at 2/2 or better (including my retakes of German and Spanish, I’m due)

Fitness: 5k in 22 minutes or less
Added goal: squat 300lbs (last I was at 215)
Last edited by Systematiker on Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:21 am

I have been planning this a while already, and even partly trying out some of my goals to see if they are doable. Here are my goals:

Fitness achievement goals:
- Run 5k in less than 30 minutes (my current record is a little over 31)
- Run my first 10k
- reach the "normal" BMI zone by September, and stay there for the rest of the year

Fitness persistence goals:
For at least 45 (basic goal) or 50 (advanced goal) weeks, do at least:
- cardio exercise to satisfy my online training program
- 30 minutes of alternative cardio (skiing, skating, swimming, kayak, etc)
- 30 minutes strength
- 30 minutes stretching
- 30 minutes yoga

Fitness just for fun:
- take at least two courses to learn something new (planning to start with a skiing course to learn skating technique)

Langage achievement goals:
- Take and pass a DELF (B1 or B2, or both)
- get a B or better on all my language exams at the university
- reach at least 5 books or 5 films (or both) by the end of the year in all languages I register for in the Super Challenge

Langage persistence goals:
- do the 366 day challenge on at least 350 (basic goal) or 360 (advanced goal) days
- write at least 4000 words of French every month, with the goal of reaching 50000 by the end of the year
Last edited by Mista on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Postby Aloyse » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Fitness:

F1. get rid of 4kg
BMI 28 ==> BMI 26.5

F2. daily moderate exercise
either 30' continuous walking
or climb a total of 10 flights of stairs during the day
or do 15' of purposeful exercise

Languages:

L1. Read 1 book in Spanish
L2. Read 1 book in Arabic
L3. Read 1 book in Chinese
L4. Adapt my (mostly passive) routines to encompass all 7 of my main target languages instead of only 4 today

Extra:
Combine fitness and languages.
Last edited by Aloyse on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

marie39
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Malay

Postby marie39 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Language: Listen to Spanish audiobooks or podcasts while exercising. Listen to at least 1 chapter or 1 podcast episode before switching to music if I'm having a rough day. I have other language goals but this one is tied with my fitness goals.

Fitness: Later this year I plan to complete the Couch to 5K challenge. I've started this but I've never made it to the end. In January I want to complete the 30 Days of Change - No Equipment 30 Day Workout program. In February I want to complete 30 Days of Yoga by Yoga with Adriene on youtube. I hope to start the Couch to 5K in March weather permitting.

I'm going to use this thread to hold myself accountable for both of these goals. :)
4 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:35 am

I'm in.

Language: 732 honest hours of language study, ideally spread out roughly as two hours per day, apportioned across a uncertain number of different languages.

Fitness: 183 sweaty or soggy hours of cardio divided between cycling and swimming, ideally spread out roughly as 30 to 45 minutes every day or so.
2 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:33 am

I may as well be in, though I'd be doing this anyways.

Languages: French - keep moving forward. Pass French 302-303. Once the summer starts I'll reassess and once I get to Ottawa (in late August) I'll reassess again. Working through Grammaire progressive: intermédiaire by the end of the year would also be ideal, but making 1 year plans for me and language is just a bad plan.

Fitness: My primary sport is rowing. My long term plan for the upcoming season is competing in the men's novice single's (as in 1x) category at regionals. Other goals include sticking with weight training. I really don't enjoy it, but it's good for me. What that means is that I need to see a personal trainer every few weeks for the sake of both accountability and having someone create a plan for me. Ideally I'll also be riding my bike inside on TrainerRoad or Zwift twice a week but that's been a bit of a stretch.
Once I move to Ottawa, my goal is to learn how to cross country ski and do that in the off season along with erging (using a rowing machine)
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “Language Challenges”