2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cainntear
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: 2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge

Postby Cainntear » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:55 am

I didn't really bother with this thread as I haven't really been doing any language learning, but I've managed to lose quite a bit of weight over the last 10 or 11 months -- from over 90kg to about 73. Mostly down to road cycling, VR games and better diet.
7 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (intermediate), DE (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Re: 2020 Polyglot Fitness Challenge

Postby coldrainwater » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:40 pm

This late in the game, I feel I have a decent habit developed reading books via Anki while climbing stairs and while jogging in safe areas. The jogging bit, I have found to be less efficient but still a very pleasant alternative to listening sometimes (I still do it in low or no traffic areas on long straight stretches). What I realized recently is that I find it pleasant reading that way. I get to consider each sentence for a bit longer than usual since my eyes are not fully on-screen. I used to have trouble with that and often could only hold a word or two at once, but as reading my current TL gets easier, I find I can hold in memory slightly longer sentences and parse meaning. That positive spin on things aside, I am seriously contemplating getting an indoor cardio machine of some type. I would have normally sprung for a normal treadmill or elliptical but I Iive in a third-floor apartment and I need to tiptoe around possible noise so I have put off doing the analysis. It would be safer and likely more rewarding if I purchased something. As it stands or 'steps' perhaps, the stairs are most helpful for me since they create an environment where I get part of my reading done no matter how distracting the rest of my life that day. Very good mix of cardio training and foreign language learning (concomitant which basically ended up being my challenge).
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”