2020 366-day challenge! Rules, sign-up, discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Sedge
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native language)
Languages I have or currently am studying in order of proficiency:
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)
Russian, Japanese, Icelandic (studied briefly or for specific purposes, may revisit later)

Re: 2020 366-day challenge! Rules, sign-up, discussion

Postby Sedge » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:12 am

Darn! Manchu (actually Xibe, but it seemed like Manchu might have a few more resources than Xibe, so...) is one of the languages I really wanted to try. But I do NOT have any knowledge of Mandarin. Well, you'll have to let me know how it goes for you!

I have access to Mango through my local library, and tried using it for Icelandic, and to be honest, I hated it. Others may find it better, but even though it was at first glance a better resource than some of the others I found for learning Icelandic, in practice I was so bored and frustrated with Mango that I abandoned it quickly.
2 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Spanish (B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:03 am

Sedge wrote:Darn! Manchu (actually Xibe, but it seemed like Manchu might have a few more resources than Xibe, so...) is one of the languages I really wanted to try. But I do NOT have any knowledge of Mandarin. Well, you'll have to let me know how it goes for you!

I have access to Mango through my local library, and tried using it for Icelandic, and to be honest, I hated it. Others may find it better, but even though it was at first glance a better resource than some of the others I found for learning Icelandic, in practice I was so bored and frustrated with Mango that I abandoned it quickly.

Yeah, I'll see how that one goes :lol: I've pushed it towards the end of next year so I have time to get my Mandarin level a bit higher, but hopefully there'll be enough resources in English too that it won't be much of a worry.

Ah, interesting to hear about Mango; I don't feel so bad about not being able to use it now!
1 x
pronouns: she/her

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 am

I have a question - does preparing Anki cards counts to the learning time? Since I learn with clauses I need to look for the corresponding pictures. I also cut the course audio for phrases or exercises and then put everything into Anki. Answer yes or now will have a great impact on my study time.
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:00 pm

French - specific
German - specific

Start date 1 Jan 2020
1 x

Sedge
Yellow Belt
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)
Russian, Japanese, Icelandic (studied briefly or for specific purposes, may revisit later)

Postby Sedge » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:14 am

cjareck wrote:I have a question - does preparing Anki cards counts to the learning time? Since I learn with clauses I need to look for the corresponding pictures. I also cut the course audio for phrases or exercises and then put everything into Anki. Answer yes or now will have a great impact on my study time.

Others are welcome to chime in on this, but here is my thought. I've never made Anki cards, so I'm not sure what goes into it. I would say that if the process of preparing the cards itself helps you learn the language, then yes, the process would count. If the process of preparing the cards is mostly busywork, then I don't think it should count.

An example: I actually use physical flashcards to study with, and because the process of writing things out is really helpful for me in learning (compared to just hearing/speaking/reading or even typing) and especially where I am learning a new orthography (so I'm writing simple words in English, Roman letter phonetics, and then the new orthography), I consider flashcard prep to usually count as studying.
However, if you are not engaging with the material as you make the cards, or if you're preparing cards that are well above or below your current knowledge level in a language such that either you can't yet comprehend them or they are so easy you aren't learning anything, then it would not count.
3 x

katsu
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (C1~C2), French (A2~B1), have dabbled in Latin and Ancient Greek.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11744

Postby katsu » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:26 am

Count me in.
French, specific, starting Jan 1, 2020.
1 x
French double SC movies: 222 / 200
French double SC books: 200 / 200

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:56 am

Sedge wrote:Others are welcome to chime in on this, but here is my thought. I've never made Anki cards, so I'm not sure what goes into it. I would say that if the process of preparing the cards itself helps you learn the language, then yes, the process would count. If the process of preparing the cards is mostly busywork, then I don't think it should count.

I agree with you. So I will decide each time if it is more learning (like writing L1 and L2 on the card) or busy or mechanical work (pasting audio or looking for pictures) and decide in each case individually. Is it OK?

Nevertheless, I would like to join in with:
Hebrew - specific
Generic (most probably Arabic and Mandarin)

Start date 1 Jan 2020
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Sedge
Yellow Belt
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)

Postby Sedge » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:21 am

cjareck wrote:
Sedge wrote:Others are welcome to chime in on this, but here is my thought. I've never made Anki cards, so I'm not sure what goes into it. I would say that if the process of preparing the cards itself helps you learn the language, then yes, the process would count. If the process of preparing the cards is mostly busywork, then I don't think it should count.

I agree with you. So I will decide each time if it is more learning (like writing L1 and L2 on the card) or busy or mechanical work (pasting audio or looking for pictures) and decide in each case individually. Is it OK?

That sounds good to me.
2 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Sign me up for Dutch, please. My start date will be January 1, 2020.

Thanks for coordinating!
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:33 am

I was very sceptical of this last year, but have decided to try it this year. However, I'm not sure I think it's a good idea to have 366 days as my ultimate goal, and will therefore state straight away that I aim for 360, allowing myself a little room for rest.

I want to join with the following:
- French/generic (starting out with French, but keeping the possibility open of changing my focus language halfway)
- Generic: Russian/Northern Sami/Icelandic/Arabic, with the option of adding 1 language towards the summer (because I'm planning to attend a summer course, but the course list hasn't been published yet)
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”