2020 366-day challenge! Rules, sign-up, discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Sedge
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native language)
Languages I have or currently am studying in order of proficiency:
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)
Russian, Japanese, Icelandic (studied briefly or for specific purposes, may revisit later)

Re: 2020 366-day challenge! Rules, sign-up, discussion

Postby Sedge » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:01 pm

Godryka wrote:I'd like to sign up for Mandarin and French, starting January 1st. I hope this is allowed, given that I am still participating in the 2019 365-day challenge until January 30th, so I would be scoring (or losing) points in January for two challenges at the same time...

I think that is fine. Are you doing Mandarin and French as a generic, or as two specific?
0 x

Godryka
White Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~C1/C2), Mandarin (~B1/B2), French (~B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9984

Postby Godryka » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:54 pm

Sedge wrote:
Godryka wrote:I'd like to sign up for Mandarin and French, starting January 1st. I hope this is allowed, given that I am still participating in the 2019 365-day challenge until January 30th, so I would be scoring (or losing) points in January for two challenges at the same time...

I think that is fine. Are you doing Mandarin and French as a generic, or as two specific?

I want to sign up for Mandarin and French separately. This arrangement worked out pretty well for me in 2019, in terms of the progress I made in both languages, even despite many missed days.
2 x

Sedge
Yellow Belt
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)
Russian, Japanese, Icelandic (studied briefly or for specific purposes, may revisit later)

Postby Sedge » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Awesome. I will update the list, then!
1 x

klvik
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (Intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3149

Postby klvik » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:21 pm

I would like to sign up for a January 1st start. Spanish.
1 x
January 5, 2020
2020 Output Challenge speaking: 66 / 3000

AnneL
Yellow Belt
Languages: By order of when I started learning:
French (N)
English (C2+fluent)
German (B1)
Spanish (A2)
Italian (A2)
Korean (A2) damn hard to reach any level, 18 months studying - B1 now at 32 months lol

Postby AnneL » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:13 pm

I think I'll start one as well, for Korean only. 1st Jan.
Thanks for organising.
1 x
10000 Morphman morphemes KOREAN : 10000 / 10000 11/2018->08/2020
365 2020 challenge: day missed 0 (updated:23/Jan/21)
365 2021 challenge: day missed 0 (updated:15/July/21)

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:26 pm

Ser - Mandarin - Specific - Beginning January 1, 2020
Ser - Taiwanese Minnan, Ancient Greek - Generic - Beginning January 1, 2020

(It is December 31st, 1:25 p.m. at the time I'm writing this post.)

By the way, there is a small mistake in the Penalties section in the opening post:
Sedge wrote:3. Studying 29 minutes (or less) is not acceptable. You can't make up that minute or few minutes the next day. That's a fail - loss of 1 day.

This should be "loss of 7 days". This same rule appears correctly in the Time required to study each day section.
1 x

Sedge
Yellow Belt
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)

Postby Sedge » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:56 pm

Ser wrote:By the way, there is a small mistake in the Penalties section in the opening post:
Sedge wrote:3. Studying 29 minutes (or less) is not acceptable. You can't make up that minute or few minutes the next day. That's a fail - loss of 1 day.

This should be "loss of 7 days". This same rule appears correctly in the Time required to study each day section.

ロータス is correct; this rule has changed this year. The reason for the change was discussed in the 2019 thread - there were some participants who did not like the 7-day rule - and at the beginning of the rules post I noted that there would be changes:
Sedge wrote:I am, with permission, re-using most of the rules from 2019, but a few things have changed, namely in the scoring and categories, so please take a moment to read through!

Thanks for checking regarding the rules, and for participating!

We officially start tomorrow! Can't wait! I'm so happy that we've had so many people sign up!
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:10 pm

I'm signing up with generic (Slavic and Germanic languages), starting January 1st.

Won't count English and obviously no Russian either :lol:
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:46 am

ロータス wrote:The leader of this years challenge changed it to 1 day because people believe that people quit because -7 days for one missed day was too much. They talk about it in the 2019 discussion post.

Sedge wrote:ロータス is correct; this rule has changed this year. The reason for the change was discussed in the 2019 thread - there were some participants who did not like the 7-day rule - and at the beginning of the rules post I noted that there would be changes:

Oh, but if that's the case, then other points in the opening post should be corrected instead:

a) Time required to study each day section, point 6, still says the penalty is of "7 days"
b) Penalties section, point 1, says: "Thus, if you do miss/skip a day, you must study the next day, you cannot take a break and study 7 days later." This sentence only makes sense under the old rules, because previously people could miss a day and then be like, "urgh, that's negative 7 points, so I guess that's a week-long break that doesn't matter too", even though this was not true.
c) Changing or adding languages section, point 9, shows a calculation where the penalty per day is of 7 days

(It was this inconsistency that made me post my correction above. I didn't follow or read the 2019 version of this challenge at all.)

I was cool with a penalty of -7 days, although I did think it was surprisingly brutal too. :lol:

By the way, let me say this just now, I have only about 40% confidence that I will actually finish my generic (Taiwanese + Greek) challenge. That is, I think it is more likely I'll "fail" than not (if we define "failure" as less than 300 days, i.e. less than ~10 months). In fact I have only about 70% confidence that I won't give up near the middle in the summer. Nevertheless I'll try (even 40% is reasonably close to 50%).

(For Mandarin, my confidence is about 95% for a final score of >300 days, and I'm not gonna bother with a give-up-in-the-middle number.)
2 x

Sedge
Yellow Belt
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)

Postby Sedge » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:57 am

Ser wrote:
ロータス wrote:The leader of this years challenge changed it to 1 day because people believe that people quit because -7 days for one missed day was too much. They talk about it in the 2019 discussion post.

Sedge wrote:ロータス is correct; this rule has changed this year. The reason for the change was discussed in the 2019 thread - there were some participants who did not like the 7-day rule - and at the beginning of the rules post I noted that there would be changes:

Oh, but if that's the case, then other points in the opening post should be corrected instead:

a) Time required to study each day section, point 6, still says the penalty is of "7 days"
b) Penalties section, point 1, says: "Thus, if you do miss/skip a day, you must study the next day, you cannot take a break and study 7 days later." This sentence only makes sense under the old rules, because previously people could miss a day and then be like, "urgh, that's negative 7 points, so I guess that's a week-long break that doesn't matter too", even though this was not true.
c) Changing or adding languages section, point 9, shows a calculation where the penalty per day is of 7 days

(It was this inconsistency that made me post my correction above. I didn't follow or read the 2019 version of this challenge at all.)

Thanks for finding those. I have corrected your items a) and c). Item b) I believe is correct as written; basically whether we're doing a one-point penalty or a seven-point penalty, you can't take a multi-day break and call it a single penalty. Under the seven-day penalty rules, taking a weeklong break would be a 49 point penalty. Under the one-day rules (this year), this is a seven point penalty.
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”