Peppa Pig Project

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Peppa Pig Project

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:40 am

golyplot wrote:I've been watching Peppa Pig in Japanese, but the recommended channel has the episodes all jumbled together with tons of repetition, so there's no easy way to watch episodes you haven't seen before, other than to just pick a video at random and keep skipping through it until you come to the increasingly rare episodes you haven't yet seen. Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

I haven’t really watched the Japanese one much, but in general, I’ve noticed that the official channels are worse than the unofficial ones. The unofficial channels will often combine a bunch of episodes into one long one, but they are at least complete episodes. I was watching the French channel one day, and so many of the videos had just two-minute clips from different shows run together so nothing made sense. I don’t understand why anyone would feel the need to edit a five minute show down to two minutes.

Anyway, it doesn’t bother me to rewatch old episodes, as long as they are complete. If I can watch an episode only once and get 100% of it, I’m probably ready for something more advanced, and at lower levels, rewatching helps me to gradually understand more and more.
4 x

thevagrant88
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2) Japanese (paused)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =14564#top

Postby thevagrant88 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm

I was actually planning on utilizing Peppa Pig with Japanese after I finish Genki and Japanese for Everyone. I hate to admit how much it helped with my Spanish, but I can't argue with the results haha.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed May 06, 2020 2:06 pm

So the crazy experiment has been ongoing for a year almost. Anyone got any results to report? Is it worth doing? Did the grunting drive you crazy?
4 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Wed May 06, 2020 5:21 pm

Despite the negativity from those who take themselves too seriously, Peppa has helped my 'on the fly' German comprehension immensely - as it did my French before. In fact I have moved on to watching Ben und Hollys kleines Königreich and die Oktonauten :lol:
6 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed May 20, 2020 1:47 pm

This came to me via Twitter today: Learn Chinese with Peppa Pig. A mother in quarantine in Canada with too much time on her hands decided to make this site happen and it looks to be an interesting way to help learn Mandarin.
chinesepeppapig.com wrote:The ultimate resource to help you practice Chinese listening comprehension and learn how to speak colloquial Chinese
What you can find on this website:
A language learning method that can help you learn colloquial Chinese by focusing on listening comprehension and speaking
Video clips of Peppa Pig Chinese dub, directly linked from the official Peppa Pig Chinese dub Youtube channel (they will get their ad revenue!), carefully segmented so you can watch them in small bites
Detailed transcripts including both Chinese characters and pinyin, transcribed manually by me (Please feel free to report a problem by leaving a comment)
Translation of all sentences, along with explanation of vocabulary and grammar points (all written by me word by word, zero machine translation)
My own voice recording of the sentences in case you want to hear a different voice from the Piggie family
Some tips on learning to speak the Chinese language and some posts on Chinese grammar.

Gwen goes on to write
Hello, welcome to Learn Chinese with Peppa Pig! I’m Gwen. Born and raised in Beijing, China, I now live with my husband and two kids in Canada. I have a full-time job that has nothing to do with learning a language.
I started watching Peppa Pig with my almost-three-year-old daughter. I always feel guilty for letting her watch shows. With her preschool closed due to COVID-19, we’re watching shows at home more than usual. One day, I came up with the idea that she should watch the Mandarin Chinese dubbed version of Peppa Pig so she could learn my mother tongue and eventually become bilingual. She showed a great interest. Shortly after, I realized I could generalize and improve the method to help people learn Chinese as a second language.
I am drawing a lot from my own language learning experiences. I truly believe you don’t have to start with a grammar book.
I hope you will enjoy learning Chinese with Peppa Pig!
10 x

eido
Brown Belt
Languages: EN*, ES (C1)

Postby eido » Wed May 20, 2020 8:26 pm

iguanamon wrote:This came to me via Twitter today: Learn Chinese with Peppa Pig. A mother in quarantine in Canada with too much time on her hands decided to make this site happen and it looks to be an interesting way to help learn Mandarin.

That's excellent @iguanamon! I'd love to know who you follow on Twitter. You always find the best stuff.
2 x

annelions
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A1), German (A1), Italian (A1), Croatian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15851

Postby annelions » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Thank you so much for listing these! I have been looking for Spanish videos to watch and Peppa Pig will definitely help. Not super interesting but they'll do for now.

We'll see if I go insane from all the snorting/grunting.
0 x
Spanish
: 1 / 17 ModernStates
: 2 / 16 Forge
: 0 / 100 Busuu
Croatian
: 0 / 18 Teach Yourself
: 1 / 38 Mondly
German
: 0 / 100 Assimil
: 1 / 64 Lingodeer

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish, Norwegian
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:13 am

Thank you, so now I just discovered this too. The snorting is already driving me crazy, but on the other hand, it does seem pretty useful.
1 x
Progressing from apps back back to books! (neurological injury healing!!!)
Concentrating on Irish (family heritage) & Japanese (my brother lives there)
Ack, wanderlust strikes again! Back to Norwegian, hello Vietnamese!

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:20 pm

I found the snorting to be very annoying too at first and I thought it would drive me so crazy that I wouldn’t be able to make use of Peppa Pig. I was very surprised to find that I got used to it really quickly though, and now I’m able to ignore the snorting and enjoy the stories and the language.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Sadly while watching Peppa Pig in Mandarin the snorting is the only part I actually understand. :cry:
10 x

Return to “Language Challenges”