Peppa Pig Project

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7431

Re: Peppa Pig Project

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Thanks a lot for the translations list!!!

I may try to add Peppa Pig in korean to my watch list starting today and see how it goes ;)
0 x

lavengro
Green Belt
Languages: ENGLISH (N), FRENCH (A2 - conservatively self-estimated), SPANISH (A1 - recklessly self-asserted), ITALIAN (non parlo italiano - yet - but getting closer); CHEWA (tempted...); ITHKUIL (only in my nightmares).

Postby lavengro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Awesome challenge Brun Ugle, thanks! I am in for Italian, and will be keeping track objectively of my time as well as keeping track subjectively of how annoying I find the pigs. Aiming for 15 minutes per day, and hopefully no higher than a "4" on the subjective rage scale.

Since I am late to the party and to try to catch up to the rest of you, I just finished spending the last three minutes listening to the Peppa Pig introduction in italiano exactly 1,048,576 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcPXfG8B08U

Before clicking the link, you may want to heed the warning of the malevolent person who posted the video: "NON SONO RESPONSABILE SE SI VA INSANE DOPO ASCOLTARE A QUESTO!"
3 x
"I talk a lot. So I've learned to just tune myself out."
- Kelly Kapoor

Italian : 159 / 330
Turkish : 31 / 335
French : 80 / 780
German : 27 / 605
Spanish : 2 / 795

Hashimi
Green Belt

Postby Hashimi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:18 am

It seems that this show is dubbed in all major languages except one! (for obvious reasons)
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9857

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:02 am

Hashimi wrote:It seems that this show is dubbed in all major languages except one! (for obvious reasons)

If you mean Arabic, I looked, but I was only able to find very few episodes on YouTube and some of those weren’t even complete. I didn’t think it would be that useful with only three or four episodes, so I didn’t include it. Maybe someone who actually knows the language would have better luck than me. If someone finds a YouTube channel with a reasonable quantity of episodes in Arabic, I will include it in the list.
1 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:12 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
Hashimi wrote:It seems that this show is dubbed in all major languages except one! (for obvious reasons)

If you mean Arabic, I looked, but I was only able to find very few episodes on YouTube and some of those weren’t even complete. I didn’t think it would be that useful with only three or four episodes, so I didn’t include it. Maybe someone who actually knows the language would have better luck than me. If someone finds a YouTube channel with a reasonable quantity of episodes in Arabic, I will include it in the list.

I can’t find Indonesian, either. And I guess that would count as “major”, arguably being 6th most spoken language in the world.

BTW Brun Ugle, i think this is a great “crazy” challenge/project. I learned much of my intermediate Indonesian from Thomas dan Teman-Teman (Thomas and Friends). I won’t be joining in but will follow with interest.
5 x

EmGeeFab
Languages: English (N), German (advanced), Hebrew (early intermediate), Spanish (beginner)

Postby EmGeeFab » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:10 am

Brun Ugle wrote:

I noticed that it isn't available in Arabic or Hebrew. I think this may be due to how these cultures traditionally think of pigs.
1 x

Asfaloth
Languages: Italian (native), English (fluent), French (fluent), Spanish (intermediate), German (elementary), Arabic (very elementary), Western Armenian (just begun)

Postby Asfaloth » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:47 pm

EmGeeFab wrote:I noticed that it isn't available in Arabic or Hebrew. I think this may be due to how these cultures traditionally think of pigs.

Peppa Pig is actually available in Arabic (MSA) on Netflix, at least in France and in Italy.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Postby Serpent » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Are there any cultures that don't think of pigs as dirty/likely gross?
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Deinonysus
Blue Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French,
   German
• Intermediate:
   Esperanto
• Beginner: Icelandic,
   Italian, Hebrew,
   Japanese, Spanish,
   Danish, Indonesian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7581

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 pm

I was able to find some Hebrew Peppa videos on YouTube. I didn't find any one playlist or channel that's exclusively dedicated to Peppa, but they're there. You just need to search for פפה

Some of the videos have a Hebrew title but English audio, but I found at least one that was dubbed into Hebrew and there should be more.
2 x
English
: 1 / 80 Pronunciator - British English

Français
: 53 / 314 Duolingo French (to lv 2)
: 20 / 70 Assimil Using French

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 am

Serpent wrote:Are there any cultures that don't think of pigs as dirty/likely gross?

There is a fashion for keeping miniature pigs as pets in Australia, I think the trend originated from the US.

My young adult daughter wanted one when she was a teen but I said no!

Admittedly she is not a whole culture.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”