Peppa Pig Project

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Re: Peppa Pig Project

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:30 am

annelions wrote:In order to understand anything at all in Spanish, I had to slow Peppa Pig down to .75 speed.
Ooh yes, thank you, I had entirely forgotten the speed controls! Slowing it down definitely helps. Well, speaking relatively. My comprehension is still pretty minimal when I watch the first time, even slowed down, but after I watch the English version (speed that one up, please) then re-watch the Japanese at half-speed, I can catch significantly more now I know what to listen for.

For a while, the snorting sounded different enough at half speed to provide relief, but then, just as my brain adapted to the odd sounds of slowed voices, it also adapted to hear slowed snorting just fine, thank you, sigh.
5 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Lanspresado
White Belt
Punjabi (N)
Spanish (B1)
French (beginner)

Postby Lanspresado » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:33 am

Lol I absolutely love this challenge. I'm all for a mindless TV binge, and Peppa Pig is a better candidate than most netflix shows these days :D I understood about 60% of what was said in the French episode I watched, probably owing to how easy the vocab is... generally. I do like how they'll repeat the same thing a lot so you can really get to grips with unknown words.

Like this segment here:
George: Full.

Grandpa Pig: George, are you too full to eat any more tomatoes, lettuce or cucumber?

Narrator: George is too full to eat any more.

Mummy Pig: George, are you too full to eat anything more?

Narrator: George is too full to eat anything more.

It was a great wrap up for the four or five new words in the segment (they'd been saying tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber a lot too). Definitely gonna be doing this more often!
5 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:47 pm

If anyone is interested, there are a few episodes in Welsh on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ig+cymraeg

All on one channel as far as I can see, but not much point in linking to the channel, as it's mostly unrelated stuff.

Slightly different search, but I think it pulls up the same episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +pig+welsh

There are also currently some episodes on the S4C "Clic" website, the official Welsh TV channel, but I fear they are all geo-restricted to the UK:

https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/506307219

There is a list here of programmes that it specifically does allow access to without geo-restriction:

https://www.s4c.cymru/en/international/

No sign of Peppa unfortunately, although there are a few other children's programmes, and and potential Welsh learner may find something of interest. Some have Welsh subtitles as well as English ones.
2 x

jacquemarie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 28#p177252

Postby jacquemarie » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:13 pm

Just in case anyone was not aware of this:

I just recently started Peppa Pig myself, but with a chrome extension called "Language Learning with Youtube". I have mine set to show in Spanish (The audio language and my least fluent language) and the translations when I hover to show in Hindi (my highest level target language). I've been watching one episode like this and then reading the English transcripts or switching the Hindi to English to see how I did. (: It's slower but very helpful and I get to practice both my languages at once.

You can also just do your target language translated in to your native language though
4 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 pm

jacquemarie wrote:Just in case anyone was not aware of this:

I just recently started Peppa Pig myself, but with a chrome extension called "Language Learning with Youtube". I have mine set to show in Spanish (The audio language and my least fluent language) and the translations when I hover to show in Hindi (my highest level target language). I've been watching one episode like this and then reading the English transcripts or switching the Hindi to English to see how I did. (: It's slower but very helpful and I get to practice both my languages at once.

You can also just do your target language translated in to your native language though

Sounds incredibly useful. Thanks.

I've just been playing with downloading subtitles from Youtube and playing with different translation options (Microsoft Translator proved to be surprisingly useful), but this sounds even better.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:42 pm

I'm adding the Peppa Pig challenge to my Korean. :)
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tomos1729
White Belt
Languages: Cymraeg (Native)
Deutsch (Fluent)
Italiano (probably around B2/C1)
ქართული (probably around B1)
Español (maybe B1)
English (Fluent)

Postby tomos1729 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 pm

Ah, just found this thread, looking forward to reading through it!

I think the potential of Peppa is amazing, it's so simple and actually fun to watch! :lol: I also thought the snorting would be annoying but found myself completely oblivious to it after one or two episodes.

I think Peppa was crucial for me being able to get into understanding Georgian. There's around 4 hours on youtube and I must have watched them through three or four times, often shadowing or transcribing. The concreteness and repetition is gold for language learning. It's probably what I'm always going to use for future languages.

Montmorency wrote:If anyone is interested, there are a few episodes in Welsh on Youtube:

Aweome! I had no idea that existed! That's definitely made my day! O, dim syniad o'na ffasiwn beth! 'di neud y nwrnod i!
3 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:59 pm

peppa the pig is soft-subbed on youtube!! english and mandarin

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJqC ... kLXRVMHCbL

i'm passed peppa the pig in terms of my mandarin level but sharing for those who aren't. wish i knew about it during the beginning of my mandarin journey. it certainly seems more useful than the who is she stories on lingq. i recommend dling the vids in case they get deleted etc. cheers!
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”