Peppa Pig Project

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Re: Peppa Pig Project

Postby Elexi » Wed May 06, 2020 5:21 pm

Despite the negativity from those who take themselves too seriously, Peppa has helped my 'on the fly' German comprehension immensely - as it did my French before. In fact I have moved on to watching Ben und Hollys kleines Königreich and die Oktonauten :lol:
7 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed May 20, 2020 1:47 pm

This came to me via Twitter today: Learn Chinese with Peppa Pig. A mother in quarantine in Canada with too much time on her hands decided to make this site happen and it looks to be an interesting way to help learn Mandarin.
chinesepeppapig.com wrote:The ultimate resource to help you practice Chinese listening comprehension and learn how to speak colloquial Chinese
What you can find on this website:
A language learning method that can help you learn colloquial Chinese by focusing on listening comprehension and speaking
Video clips of Peppa Pig Chinese dub, directly linked from the official Peppa Pig Chinese dub Youtube channel (they will get their ad revenue!), carefully segmented so you can watch them in small bites
Detailed transcripts including both Chinese characters and pinyin, transcribed manually by me (Please feel free to report a problem by leaving a comment)
Translation of all sentences, along with explanation of vocabulary and grammar points (all written by me word by word, zero machine translation)
My own voice recording of the sentences in case you want to hear a different voice from the Piggie family
Some tips on learning to speak the Chinese language and some posts on Chinese grammar.

Gwen goes on to write
Hello, welcome to Learn Chinese with Peppa Pig! I’m Gwen. Born and raised in Beijing, China, I now live with my husband and two kids in Canada. I have a full-time job that has nothing to do with learning a language.
I started watching Peppa Pig with my almost-three-year-old daughter. I always feel guilty for letting her watch shows. With her preschool closed due to COVID-19, we’re watching shows at home more than usual. One day, I came up with the idea that she should watch the Mandarin Chinese dubbed version of Peppa Pig so she could learn my mother tongue and eventually become bilingual. She showed a great interest. Shortly after, I realized I could generalize and improve the method to help people learn Chinese as a second language.
I am drawing a lot from my own language learning experiences. I truly believe you don’t have to start with a grammar book.
I hope you will enjoy learning Chinese with Peppa Pig!
11 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed May 20, 2020 8:26 pm

iguanamon wrote:This came to me via Twitter today: Learn Chinese with Peppa Pig. A mother in quarantine in Canada with too much time on her hands decided to make this site happen and it looks to be an interesting way to help learn Mandarin.

That's excellent @iguanamon! I'd love to know who you follow on Twitter. You always find the best stuff.
2 x

annelions
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A1), German (A1), Italian (A1), Croatian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15851

Postby annelions » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Thank you so much for listing these! I have been looking for Spanish videos to watch and Peppa Pig will definitely help. Not super interesting but they'll do for now.

We'll see if I go insane from all the snorting/grunting.
0 x
Spanish
: 1 / 17 ModernStates
: 2 / 16 Forge
: 0 / 100 Busuu
Croatian
: 0 / 18 Teach Yourself
: 1 / 38 Mondly
German
: 0 / 100 Assimil
: 1 / 64 Lingodeer

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:13 am

Thank you, so now I just discovered this too. The snorting is already driving me crazy, but on the other hand, it does seem pretty useful.
2 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:20 pm

I found the snorting to be very annoying too at first and I thought it would drive me so crazy that I wouldn’t be able to make use of Peppa Pig. I was very surprised to find that I got used to it really quickly though, and now I’m able to ignore the snorting and enjoy the stories and the language.
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Sadly while watching Peppa Pig in Mandarin the snorting is the only part I actually understand. :cry:
11 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:48 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I found the snorting to be very annoying too at first and I thought it would drive me so crazy that I wouldn’t be able to make use of Peppa Pig. I was very surprised to find that I got used to it really quickly though, and now I’m able to ignore the snorting and enjoy the stories and the language.
I've been having sinus issues lately, so the snorting makes me want to start snorting madly too.
6 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:50 pm

rdearman wrote:Sadly while watching Peppa Pig in Mandarin the snorting is the only part I actually understand. :cry:

I can't say that I got much more from watching it in Cantonese and Czech. :(
10 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

annelions
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A1), German (A1), Italian (A1), Croatian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15851

Postby annelions » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:22 am

In order to understand anything at all in Spanish, I had to slow Peppa Pig down to .75 speed. I usually watch English videos at 1.5 speed. And I can watch some German videos at 1.25 or 1.5 speed while still getting the very basics, but I usually watch German at normal speed because faster speeds are very taxing.
1 x
Spanish
: 1 / 17 ModernStates
: 2 / 16 Forge
: 0 / 100 Busuu
Croatian
: 0 / 18 Teach Yourself
: 1 / 38 Mondly
German
: 0 / 100 Assimil
: 1 / 64 Lingodeer

Return to “Language Challenges”