Peppa Pig Project

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Re: Peppa Pig Project

Postby lavengro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Awesome challenge Brun Ugle, thanks! I am in for Italian, and will be keeping track objectively of my time as well as keeping track subjectively of how annoying I find the pigs. Aiming for 15 minutes per day, and hopefully no higher than a "4" on the subjective rage scale.

Since I am late to the party and to try to catch up to the rest of you, I just finished spending the last three minutes listening to the Peppa Pig introduction in italiano exactly 1,048,576 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcPXfG8B08U

Before clicking the link, you may want to heed the warning of the malevolent person who posted the video: "NON SONO RESPONSABILE SE SI VA INSANE DOPO ASCOLTARE A QUESTO!"
3 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:02 am

Hashimi wrote:It seems that this show is dubbed in all major languages except one! (for obvious reasons)

If you mean Arabic, I looked, but I was only able to find very few episodes on YouTube and some of those weren’t even complete. I didn’t think it would be that useful with only three or four episodes, so I didn’t include it. Maybe someone who actually knows the language would have better luck than me. If someone finds a YouTube channel with a reasonable quantity of episodes in Arabic, I will include it in the list.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:12 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
Hashimi wrote:It seems that this show is dubbed in all major languages except one! (for obvious reasons)

If you mean Arabic, I looked, but I was only able to find very few episodes on YouTube and some of those weren’t even complete. I didn’t think it would be that useful with only three or four episodes, so I didn’t include it. Maybe someone who actually knows the language would have better luck than me. If someone finds a YouTube channel with a reasonable quantity of episodes in Arabic, I will include it in the list.

I can’t find Indonesian, either. And I guess that would count as “major”, arguably being 6th most spoken language in the world.

BTW Brun Ugle, i think this is a great “crazy” challenge/project. I learned much of my intermediate Indonesian from Thomas dan Teman-Teman (Thomas and Friends). I won’t be joining in but will follow with interest.
4 x

EmGeeFab
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (advanced), Hebrew (early intermediate), Spanish (beginner)

Postby EmGeeFab » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:10 am

Brun Ugle wrote:

I noticed that it isn't available in Arabic or Hebrew. I think this may be due to how these cultures traditionally think of pigs.
0 x

Asfaloth
Languages: Italian (native), English (fluent), French (fluent), Spanish (intermediate), German (elementary), Arabic (very elementary), Western Armenian (just begun)

Postby Asfaloth » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:47 pm

EmGeeFab wrote:I noticed that it isn't available in Arabic or Hebrew. I think this may be due to how these cultures traditionally think of pigs.

Peppa Pig is actually available in Arabic (MSA) on Netflix, at least in France and in Italy.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Are there any cultures that don't think of pigs as dirty/likely gross?
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 pm

I was able to find some Hebrew Peppa videos on YouTube. I didn't find any one playlist or channel that's exclusively dedicated to Peppa, but they're there. You just need to search for פפה

Some of the videos have a Hebrew title but English audio, but I found at least one that was dubbed into Hebrew and there should be more.
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 am

Serpent wrote:Are there any cultures that don't think of pigs as dirty/likely gross?

There is a fashion for keeping miniature pigs as pets in Australia, I think the trend originated from the US.

My young adult daughter wanted one when she was a teen but I said no!

Admittedly she is not a whole culture.
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 pm

Serpent wrote:Are there any cultures that don't think of pigs as dirty/likely gross?

Early Romans and Greeks, at a minimum; revered as a symbol of abundance. Pigs were seen as an all-purpose sacrificial animal, with particular meaning as a symbol of fertility, and occasional sacrificial animal of choice of early Romans to seal public agreements and mark, for example, weddings and births.

Pigs were the most common sacrificial animal in both Greece and Rome. They didn’t pollute—they purified.” - Mark Essig, Lesser Beasts

One may assume, correctly, from my profile picture that I am biased in favour of pigs. So apparently was this guy:

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.” – Winston Churchill
10 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

GC1998
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Spanish (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10470

Postby GC1998 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Might try this for Russian. Watched a bit for French and Spanish and had pretty good comprehension, but that makes sense because I have a higher level in those languages. Could also try in Mandarin, because I can understand some bits, but no where near all. Having the subtitles available (from someone's link) will be really helpful for Russian. I'll try and record my progress, although I may not watch some every day.
1 x
: 0 / 366 Generic Language Challenge 2020

Return to “Language Challenges”