Peppa Pig Project

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Hashimi
Green Belt

Re: Peppa Pig Project

Postby Hashimi » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 pm

Serpent wrote:Are there any cultures that don't think of pigs as dirty/likely gross?

Maybe a culture which has never seen pigs before :D
1 x

lavengro
Green Belt
Languages: ENGLISH (N), FRENCH (A2 - conservatively self-estimated), SPANISH (A1 - recklessly self-asserted), ITALIAN (non parlo italiano - yet - but getting closer); CHEWA (tempted...); ITHKUIL (only in my nightmares). GERMAN? 9!!

Postby lavengro » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 pm

Serpent wrote:Are there any cultures that don't think of pigs as dirty/likely gross?

Early Romans and Greeks, at a minimum; revered as a symbol of abundance. Pigs were seen as an all-purpose sacrificial animal, with particular meaning as a symbol of fertility, and occasional sacrificial animal of choice of early Romans to seal public agreements and mark, for example, weddings and births.

Pigs were the most common sacrificial animal in both Greece and Rome. They didn’t pollute—they purified.” - Mark Essig, Lesser Beasts

One may assume, correctly, from my profile picture that I am biased in favour of pigs. So apparently was this guy:

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.” – Winston Churchill
7 x
"I talk a lot. So I've learned to just tune myself out."
- Kelly Kapoor

Italian : 176 / 330
German : 43 / 605
French : 80 / 780
Turkish : 31 / 335
Spanish : 2 / 795

GC1998
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Spanish (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10470

Postby GC1998 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Might try this for Russian. Watched a bit for French and Spanish and had pretty good comprehension, but that makes sense because I have a higher level in those languages. Could also try in Mandarin, because I can understand some bits, but no where near all. Having the subtitles available (from someone's link) will be really helpful for Russian. I'll try and record my progress, although I may not watch some every day.
1 x

Return to “Language Challenges”