A new periodic short challenge with a Twitter bot

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)

How long would you like a 6WC-like challenge to run for?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:22 pm

3 weeks each month (21 days)
66%
Almost a month (26 days)
10%
5 weeks, not matching with months (35 days)
No votes
6 weeks like the original, eight times a year, not month-matching (42 days)
10%
Two months (60 days)
14%

Total votes: 29

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1 certified)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Re: A new periodic short challenge with a Twitter bot

Postby zjones » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:59 pm

I brought up admin time because I was seeing the discussion trend toward intensive activities. Obviously, if the challenge lumps extensive activities with intensive ones, then my point is irrelevant. And even if the type of study type is being tagged, if the people involved in a challenge would like to count admin time as intensive then that's fine. I was just offering my opinion about a part of the 6WC that I didn't think was fair, since this challenge is being compared to the 6WC.

Besides, zenmonkey's point about competition being counterproductive rings true for me. I would like to see a challenge that is sufficiently different from the 6WC, because the spirit of competition in that challenge was not helpful for me. The discussion was often negative and petty among those who dominated the leaderboard. I'm not sure about other participants but I found the discussion discouraging. I guess I'll just watch and see how the rules end up for this challenge before I decide whether to join.

Brun Ugle wrote:Whatever you allow and disallow there will always be people who find a creative way to rack up a lot of time and other people who think that that time shouldn’t count.

Of course. I don't think that means that we shouldn't try to make a challenge more fair.
2 x

mvillalba
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French (~B1?), Italian (passive B1-B2, active less)

Re: A new periodic short challenge with a Twitter bot

Postby mvillalba » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Is this still being built? Talks about building a new 6WC bot are happening on another post (I don't think I'm allowed to post links as a new user, but it's under "Technical Support and Feature Requests") and I'm thinking if a new bot codebase exists, it could be used directly to run the 6WC as well.
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”