6WC 6 Week Challenge - Feb 2019

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge- Feb 2019

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:36 am

reineke wrote:What about members who have signed up multiple times with the same languages and raked up many hundreds of hours?

How does that work? You mean signing up multiple times to Dialang? If all you are doing is assessment tests the only person that you are hurting is yourself.

What other people score, in a situation where it is all self reported activity, has zero bearing on your study success. I only have a friendly and encouraging competition with a few people participating and not with the hypothetical person reporting 200+ hrs of radio listening (as an example).

I’m trying to stick to 6 weeks of almost daily study and improve on whatever I did last time. If you want to report x or y, go for it. You do you.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

embici
White Belt
Languages: English (N) French (B2) Spanish (C1) Greek (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5175

Postby embici » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:59 am

I've signed up with Greek. I'm going to dust off Assimil's le nouveau grec sans peine and do some shadowing with it. I'm also trying the Goldlist method for vocabulary.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: 6WC 6 Week Challenge - Feb 2019

Postby smallwhite » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:12 pm

reineke wrote:
I have seen catfights over hours before my "rise to power" in 2017.
The snide comments prevented me from participating...

If the “catfight” and “snide comments” are from me can you quote them, please? I remember asking you how you count your hours (and describing how I count mine) and asking how many hours of Spanish took you to where you were.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:55 pm

I was in Costa Rica from Jan 30-Feb 5, therefore I missed 5 days of the challenge, which I will be doing with Persian. I did accumulate a couple hours of Spanish & Russian (Kindle on the beach!) to put in my overall, but starting today I'll be aiming for at least an hour/day of Persian which will include: Completing 2-3 courses which are already in progress, dedicating all of my daily walks to shadowing Persian (I usually rotate languages weekly), and creating a more useful version of the FSI dialogues/buildups by putting them into Persian script, which I will later submit to the Yojik site. While it will be typing, it will certainly require intensive focus/study similar to that of Scriptorium.

I also have been very lax about logging my hours, so I will endeavor to keep a more comprehensive overall study log. I do not have a twitter, so I will just post here how I did at the end of the challenge.
2 x

Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
• N: English
• C: German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Greek
• B: Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese
• A: Persian, Mandarin
• Dormant: Dutch, Romanian, Polish

Postby Denzagathist » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:20 pm

I've had final exams this week, so I have truly had no time to study languages at all -- not even Anki reviews -- so far. But now I'm finished and am free for the rest of the challenge, so I'm hoping to make up for that starting tomorrow. :)
1 x

trui
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English
Good enough: Dutch
Not there yet: German
Just starting: French
We'll see?: Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 3&start=10

Postby trui » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:58 pm

I guess I'm signing up with German! (I'm getting tired of no noticable progress in Dutch since I'm pretty good already). I'd do French but I'm still not sure whether I want to learn it, and progress with it will be slower.

I'll probably not be using the bot, but I'll try to keep track of some of my studying. Maybe. In any case, I'll make sure to round down. ;)
0 x
All comments and corrections welcome.

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:24 pm

Can you help me understand something about the bot, please? Does it have a time zone? When I sort my study time stats by date, some of the data is showing a different date than expected. For example, my 97 minutes that I tweeted on February 1 are registering as February 2. Is there a setting I need to tweak?
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:51 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:Can you help me understand something about the bot, please? Does it have a time zone? When I sort my study time stats by date, some of the data is showing a different date than expected. For example, my 97 minutes that I tweeted on February 1 are registering as February 2. Is there a setting I need to tweak?

I think it is on Central European Time.
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Elsa Maria wrote:Can you help me understand something about the bot, please? Does it have a time zone? When I sort my study time stats by date, some of the data is showing a different date than expected. For example, my 97 minutes that I tweeted on February 1 are registering as February 2. Is there a setting I need to tweak?

I think it is on Central European Time.

Yes I'm pretty sure it is. I tweeted something just after 11pm GMT on 7 Feb and the bot attributed it to 8 Feb in my stats. But I've been fine on other days when I've tweeted things shortly before 11.
2 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I think it is on Central European Time.

Thank you! I just reset my Twitter time zone to Central European Time, and when I went into my settings I discovered that I didn't even have my own true time zone, so things were really off. I am only using this Twitter account for the 6WC at the moment, so I'd rather have everything line up.
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Return to “Language Challenges”