The Super Challenge rules and registration 2016-2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Brun Ugle
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), Esperanto (A2?), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty), Finnish (just started)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5170

Re: The Super Challenge rules and registration 2016-2017

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Serpent wrote:It's taking long :cry: If you or emk have a backup domain can it be used for the bot in the meanwhile?

I second Serpent. Not being able to see the page makes it very confusing. I just tried to tweet a movie, but the bot tweeted back that I'm not studying that language. However, I had tweeted a movie in that language earlier and it was OK. Or at least, the tweet was answered in the normal fashion. I can't really tell if it got added to the list because I can't see the list.
3 x
(aka Easily Distracted Tortoise)

: 13811 / 50000 words - Output Challenge Spanish Writing
: 477 / 3000 minutes - Output Challenge Spanish Speaking

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
French (studies), Italian (studies), Mandarin (studies),
Esperanto TAC (Only god knows why), Finnish (only in it for the cookies)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:27 pm

I will try to sort out a tmp domain when i return to the uk next week.
4 x

trui
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=5973

Postby trui » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:51 am

LANGUAGE: Dutch
CHALLENGE: Double
CURRENT LEVEL: I'm guessing B2 reading and B1+? listening (I can watch the average show without subtitles although I still don't understand everything).
COMMENTS: Planning on not counting what I've read/watched up until now with the exception of De Erfenis van Richard Grenville by Natalie Koch. I started reading it a few days ago and I'm only a couple chapters in.

The books shouldn't be a problem as I love reading fantasy books and they typically count for 7-10 books each. As for the "movies"--while I highly doubt that I'd be able to watch 200 Dutch movies by December, I am pretty confident in my ability to bing watch Één tegen 100 and other Dutch series by then.

For me the point of the challenge will be to encourage myself to read and watch TV more and to not feel guilty about it :D I know it's great for my Dutch so I shouldn't feel guilty but still--
2 x
Nederlands:

Alle correcties worden op prijs gesteld.

100 books: 7 / 100
Novel word count: 0 / 80000
Super challenge books: 0 / 200
Super challenge movies: 0 / 200

Serpent
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Postby Serpent » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I just tried to tweet a movie, but the bot tweeted back that I'm not studying that language. However, I had tweeted a movie in that language earlier and it was OK. Or at least, the tweet was answered in the normal fashion. I can't really tell if it got added to the list because I can't see the list.

are you sure it was the SC bot and not the 6WC one? I've scrolled to March and I'm not seeing any Japanese tweets @ langchallenge.
0 x
: 2 / 40 Budva na pjenu od mora: 3rd season (Croatian/Montenegrin)
LyricsTraining now offers Catalan, Turkish and Japanese romaji

Brun Ugle
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), Esperanto (A2?), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty), Finnish (just started)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5170

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Serpent wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I just tried to tweet a movie, but the bot tweeted back that I'm not studying that language. However, I had tweeted a movie in that language earlier and it was OK. Or at least, the tweet was answered in the normal fashion. I can't really tell if it got added to the list because I can't see the list.

are you sure it was the SC bot and not the 6WC one? I've scrolled to March and I'm not seeing any Japanese tweets @ langchallenge.

Yes. It was 4 May and the bot answered that I had watched 86 minutes in Japanese, but now it says I'm not registered for Japanese.
1 x
(aka Easily Distracted Tortoise)

: 13811 / 50000 words - Output Challenge Spanish Writing
: 477 / 3000 minutes - Output Challenge Spanish Speaking

Whodathunkitz
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (beginner, best L2), Spanish (beginner), Esperanto (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm

I hope I'm doing this right (but no idea of how to do the bot/update stats)...

LANGUAGE: Spanish
CHALLENGE: Full
CURRENT LEVEL: Beginner. Unable to converse. Reading some C1/C2 texts on readlang with limited comprehension. Duolingo 100+ day streak. Probably around 7 months Spanish in total spread over 3 years.
COMMENTS: I started learning languages in November 2014. I am starting a part-time languages degree later in 2017, initially "Beginners Spanish". Readlang: 21 texts containing a total of 16472 words read in a few weeks.

A question... if I use readlang, what is the Super Challenge equivalent in words - is 1.25 million* a reasonable estimate (250 words per page?). It seems a pretty huge number! 62500 per week, that's a novel!

I might try to upload course materials (unshared) to readlang to get those counted too and help me consume them.

*I'm guessing 50 pages per book, 250 words per page, 100 books = 1.25 million words in 20 months plus 9000 minutes of film.

Other languages: since late 2014, quite a bit of Cebuano and some Esperanto. Plus some significant gaps!
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Postby Serpent » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Basically yes, but slightly shorter pages count as well. As long as it's not a children's book with 20 words per page :D (You can still count that, just adjust accordingly)
1 x
: 2 / 40 Budva na pjenu od mora: 3rd season (Croatian/Montenegrin)
LyricsTraining now offers Catalan, Turkish and Japanese romaji

Return to “Language challenges & teams”