Polyglot Fitness Challenge 2021

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Caromarlyse
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (beginnings of C1), Russian (working towards B1), Portuguese (new and shiny), Spanish (in hibernation)

Re: Polyglot Fitness Challenge 2021

Postby Caromarlyse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:37 pm

Just to get it off my chest: I've hurt something in my shoulder that is going to make training difficult unless it recovers quickly :-(. It wasn't even because of ramping things up too quickly, because I trained before this challenge, more just trying to correct a movement pattern and obviously not getting it right. I have a physio appointment in the morning to help assess the damage. I already had a sports massage yesterday before I realised it was more serious than that, and the practitioner was not very helpful on either fitness or language sides: first she suggested I'd have fewer problems if I sat on the sofa and did nothing (!) and, secondly, when we'd got into a conversation about language learning, she pulled out all the annoying stuff on "are you fluent yet?" and when I prevaricated, started making all those noises that suggest you've obviously not learned anything. Argh!
5 x

jmar257
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:Just to get it off my chest: I've hurt something in my shoulder that is going to make training difficult unless it recovers quickly :-(. It wasn't even because of ramping things up too quickly, because I trained before this challenge, more just trying to correct a movement pattern and obviously not getting it right. I have a physio appointment in the morning to help assess the damage. I already had a sports massage yesterday before I realised it was more serious than that, and the practitioner was not very helpful on either fitness or language sides: first she suggested I'd have fewer problems if I sat on the sofa and did nothing (!) and, secondly, when we'd got into a conversation about language learning, she pulled out all the annoying stuff on "are you fluent yet?" and when I prevaricated, started making all those noises that suggest you've obviously not learned anything. Argh!

Sorry to hear that, shoulders can be a tough one to fix. You'd have fewer short term problems on the sofa...but your body will wear down that way too. I'd rather be creaky and sore when I'm old because I did things, personally. With zero knowledge on your shoulder issues, I have to ask do you do face pulls/band pull-aparts? Those are solid for some shoulder problems and in general are good to do to strengthen the rear delt and balance the shoulder girdle.
3 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Caromarlyse
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (beginnings of C1), Russian (working towards B1), Portuguese (new and shiny), Spanish (in hibernation)

Postby Caromarlyse » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:29 pm

jmar257 wrote:Sorry to hear that, shoulders can be a tough one to fix. You'd have fewer short term problems on the sofa...but your body will wear down that way too. I'd rather be creaky and sore when I'm old because I did things, personally. With zero knowledge on your shoulder issues, I have to ask do you do face pulls/band pull-aparts? Those are solid for some shoulder problems and in general are good to do to strengthen the rear delt and balance the shoulder girdle.

Thanks for reading my rant! It turns out it's a sprained supraspinatus but not too serious; a week's rest should do it. I've got some strengthening exercises from the physio to target this muscle that I can do in the meantime. I already knew I had imbalance issues with a tendency for the area round the top of my shoulders/neck to take all the weight rather than it being spread across the back, so this is just something else to work on.
3 x

Caromarlyse
Orange Belt

Postby Caromarlyse » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:44 pm

I've successfully completed the fitness part of my challenge: I did the sports competition I was aiming for, and came fifth :-). Good experience, though I am feeling slightly broken right now... Now just to complete the polyglot part of the challenge and master Russian pronunciation ;-)
6 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Old English
Maintaining: Esperanto, Russian
Tested:
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2021) 2+ (OPI, 2021)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
BCS, 3L/2+R/2S (DLPT IV in, oh God, 1999!)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:I've successfully completed the fitness part of my challenge: I did the sports competition I was aiming for, and came fifth :-). Good experience, though I am feeling slightly broken right now... Now just to complete the polyglot part of the challenge and master Russian pronunciation ;-)

Поздравляю!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies

Return to “Language Challenges”