Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Cavesa
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2877
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 am
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)
x 8078

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby Cavesa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 am

It looks like I'll have to make yet another twitter account. I use it only for language challenges and always forget the password and email tied to it in between the challenges. :-D Once I forgot it in the middle of an SC.

I am looking forward to the challenge so much!
3 x

User avatar
tiia
Green Belt
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:52 pm
Location: Finland
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (~B2), Spanish (B1), Swedish (A1?)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374
x 643

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby tiia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 am

Cavesa wrote:It looks like I'll have to make yet another twitter account. I use it only for language challenges and always forget the password and email tied to it in between the challenges. :-D Once I forgot it in the middle of an SC.

I am looking forward to the challenge so much!

In case you use any email client such as thunderbird you can search through all the accounts at once to find the one that received a registration email from twitter. In case you have no chance to remember the password, you can still use the forgot password-function.
3 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30before30: 22 / 30

enrdbrow
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 6:35 am
Languages: English (N), French (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4934
x 13

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby enrdbrow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:49 am

So, with less than one month to go, there doesn't seem to be much discussion on Super Challenge 2018-19. Is it still set to start on 1st May? I'm just in the process of gathering together all my resources, and eager to start :D
Hoping to finally finish one this time and give my language learning the push it needs to get to the next level!
0 x
Language Log: Un goût du français
Super Challenge (French FULL)
: 0 / 5000 SC: Read
: 0 / 9000 SC: Video / Audio

User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 3974
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 8789
Contact:

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 am

enrdbrow wrote:So, with less than one month to go, there doesn't seem to be much discussion on Super Challenge 2018-19. Is it still set to start on 1st May? I'm just in the process of gathering together all my resources, and eager to start :D
Hoping to finally finish one this time and give my language learning the push it needs to get to the next level!

We're checking with Christina (the SC originator) if she is OK with us running the challenge again this year. If so, then we'll be putting up a new site with the bot, etc. Watch this space. :)
6 x
: 4 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

User avatar
iguanamon
Brown Belt
Posts: 1450
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:14 am
Location: Virgin Islands
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797
x 6937

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby iguanamon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:44 am

rdearman wrote:We're checking with Christina (the SC originator) if she is OK with us running the challenge again this year. If so, then we'll be putting up a new site with the bot, etc. Watch this space. :)

Since Cristina seems to have lost interest in the forum after the demise of HTLAL, and given the continued popularity of the Super Challenge, perhaps we should suggest to her that the challenge be permanently administered here with her rules. That's what's been happening anyway, defacto. If Cristina ever comes back, she can take up the reins again, or not. I know how difficult and tiring it is to deal with all the "does this count?" questions that will inevitably arise.

I also suggest that we gather all the rules and make them sticky, displayed prominently, at the beginning of the thread. Perhaps someone could write a short synopsis of how and why the SC came about, its purpose and the success that learners have had with doing it. If she wants to end it, there's nothing to stop us from re-starting it with a new name and pretty much the same rules. The SC has helped a lot of people discover "What do I do after I finish my course?" and has inspired a lot of people to go beyond courses. It should continue to be a part of the forum in some way.
15 x

User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 3974
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 8789
Contact:

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:18 pm

iguanamon wrote:
rdearman wrote:We're checking with Christina (the SC originator) if she is OK with us running the challenge again this year. If so, then we'll be putting up a new site with the bot, etc. Watch this space. :)

Since Cristina seems to have lost interest in the forum after the demise of HTLAL, and given the continued popularity of the Super Challenge, perhaps we should suggest to her that the challenge be permanently administered here with her rules. That's what's been happening anyway, defacto. If Cristina ever comes back, she can take up the reins again, or not. I know how difficult and tiring it is to deal with all the "does this count?" questions that will inevitably arise.

I also suggest that we gather all the rules and make them sticky, displayed prominently, at the beginning of the thread. Perhaps someone could write a short synopsis of how and why the SC came about, its purpose and the success that learners have had with doing it. If she wants to end it, there's nothing to stop us from re-starting it with a new name and pretty much the same rules. The SC has helped a lot of people discover "What do I do after I finish my course?" and has inspired a lot of people to go beyond courses. It should continue to be a part of the forum in some way.

True, but you should always ask before using other peoples stuff. :)

Someone did a really good info-graphic back on HTLAL. I might just revise that and put that on the rules as a sticky.
3 x
: 4 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

User avatar
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3071
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:54 am
Location: Moskova
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants
x 4058
Contact:

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby Serpent » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Jeffers made that graphic.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)

User avatar
Kerrie
White Belt
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:33 am
Location: Midwest USA
Languages: English (N), Spanish (passive)
Studying Italian, French, Portuguese, German
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2683
x 33

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby Kerrie » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:39 pm

iguanamon wrote:Since Cristina seems to have lost interest in the forum after the demise of HTLAL...


I think it might be more fair to say her life has led her elsewhere, like a lot of us. I wouldn't take it personally. :lol: :lol:
2 x

User avatar
iguanamon
Brown Belt
Posts: 1450
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:14 am
Location: Virgin Islands
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797
x 6937

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby iguanamon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Kerrie wrote:I think it might be more fair to say her life has led her elsewhere, like a lot of us. I wouldn't take it personally.

I don't take it personally. Just stating the obvious. I do miss her around here but there is, indeed, life beyond the forum. I wish her happiness and success in wherever her life has led her.
2 x

User avatar
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3071
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:54 am
Location: Moskova
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants
x 4058
Contact:

Re: Super Challenge 2016-17 DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby Serpent » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 am

And we have Cristina's blessing now! :D

She's not lost interest in the forum, and as far as I can tell this has nothing to do with the migration to language-learners.org. Quoting with her permission:

I still have too much on my plate to start any threads. I am happy with my boyfriend, so my private life is good, but the last two years have been a nightmare at work. We have been restructured and reorganized repeatedly and I am now on my third boss in 9 months. Plus my house is still not completely restored after the flood 18 months ago and my migraines have come back.

However, she's hoping to take charge again next time (in 2020). Yay! :) :) :)
Cristina wrote:Give everyone a big hug from me, and wish them luck and lots of success.
I join the wishes, of course!
18 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)


Return to “Language Challenges”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest