El Ahogado Más Hermoso Del Mundo

Solo español
Enrico333
Languages: spanish, french

El Ahogado Más Hermoso Del Mundo

Postby Enrico333 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Estoy leyendo El Ahogado Más Hermoso Del Mundo y estoy teniendo dificultades con esta oración:
"y a los muertos que les iban causando los años tenían que tirarlos en los acantilados"
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: El Ahogado Más Hermoso Del Mundo

Postby eido » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:54 pm

¿Qué parte de la frase es difícil?

Para mí como estudiante de español, diría esto: "And as for the dead they had accumulated, they had to be thrown off the cliffs" or "And the dead piled up on them, causing them to be thrown off the cliffs." Algo así. Pero no estoy segura.
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 pm

I had to read it 10 times lol but it's one of those times where if you change the word order it's clearer

Original
La tierra era tan escasa, que las madres andaban siempre con el temor de que el viento se llevara a los niños, y a los muertos que les iban causando los años tenían que tirarlos en los acantilados

Rephrased ''tenían que tirarlos (a los muertos) en los acantilados que los años les iban causando ( a las madres)''

It happens to me a lot because I suck at reading but xD
0 x

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:40 am

Hello Everyone

The official translation is this:

and the few dead that the years had caused among them had to be thrown off the cliff

But I think it doesn't represent exactly the Idea in spanish:

1) The expression "ir + gerund" has a mixed mening between english Present continuous and "keep + gerund"

Las deudas iban creciendo: the debts were growing consistently/ [meanwhile something else was happening / happened]
Los invitados iban llegango: The guest were arriving (one by one) - The guest keep arriving (?) [meanhwile something else was happening / happened]
Yo iba tomando fotos: I was taking pictures meanwhile something else...

So, "that the years had caused among them" is understood as "que los años les habían causado" and not as "que les iban causando"

2) In this context, the expresion "Los años" means "the life, the destiny, over the years". It's a personification of the time, in which it causes aging, illness and death

[Los años] ya me han dejado el pelo blanco: [they] have already gotten my hair white. I don't know if in english it has the same connotation, but in spanish it's very common, and not necessarily poetic nor formal / fancy. And the verb "dejar" (to leave) is slightly different to "to cause". Because its use implies more "a conviction or a gift" than "a consequence". It collocates more natural with "the years"

3) In some cases, spanish uses impersonal in situations where english uses pasive voice. So:

[Los muertos] los tenían que tirar al acantilado: The dead bodies (corpses) had to be thrown down the cliff.

But in this case, english translation seems to speak about a finished action, but in spanish the imperfect "tenían" implies an unfinished action (Otherwise, GGB would have said "los tuvieron que tirar al acantilado"). That's why it could be closer if we say "The corpses used to be thrown down the cliff"

and:

y a los muertos que les iban causando los años: Subject
tenían que tirarlos en los acantilados: Predicate.

So, the final meaning according to my perception is :

And the dead that the years kept leaving (were living) among them used to be thrown down the cliff
5 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 am

Gracias, El Forastero. Muy interestante; me gusta concocer las diferencias sutiles en palabras entre los idioms.
0 x

Return to “Español”